Railroad Forums 

• Report NJTR delays here

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#557340  by ryanov

I've noticed that some crews really move the train (short stops, maybe 30 seconds, etc.) at every stop while I'm on it, and some don't. Could be the train doesn't work right I suppose, or that the schedule makes them need to wait or they will end up early, but it's really infuriating sometimes when your train is already 10 mins late and the crew really seems to have no interest in moving things along. I wonder is schedule padding at the end of the run the problem? By that I mean, no incentive to be on time until the end, where there's usually a lot of extra time.
 #557608  by Grump

Trust me, the last thing a crew wants to do is spend a second more on the train then they have to. When a trains ontime station stops can seem like an eternity when you're waiting a minute for time. The best is when a train is a minute or two late and its just load and go...

Like I said, the faster I can get off the train, the better. I'm not doggin it.
 #559155  by philipmartin

I'm ticket agent at Morristown these days. It seems to me that NJT has an awful lot of equipment failures. As for knowing when a train will be able to roll again, my experience is that nobody knows that until it's about ready to happen. How many times have we told customers to go to the opposite track, to run trains opposing track, and then called them back again when the broken down train suddenly comes back to life.
Philip Martin
 #559161  by philipmartin

What burns me up is when train crew deliberately run ahead of schedule, (without the notation in the timetable.) It's usually on runs that don't handle a lot of people. I've been complaining about it for years, both as a block operator and ticket agent on NJT, (and as a passenger who got left behind once.) I'd rather see a train leave late than early.
On time performance: it's a gamble with NJT.
Philip Martin
 #559391  by OportRailfan

anyone have any info on the source of the power problems for Amtrak this evening, and the delays?
 #559430  by Taborite

OportRailfan wrote:anyone have any info on the source of the power problems for Amtrak this evening, and the delays?
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 69&t=53398
 #569416  by blockline4180

Morris & Essex line trains experiencing 30 minute delays this morning because of a broken down train near Chatham.
 #570716  by ryanov

Well, I don't know about that, but the PATH was screwed up today, or so I heard from NJT.
 #572221  by Taborite

Anyone know what happened here:

Aug 27, 2008 11:21:18 AM
M&E #6632, the 10:03am from Dover, is holding at Convent and now up to 30 minutes late due to overhead wire issues and fire department activity.

Aug 27, 2008 11:21:15 AM
M&E #6617 the 9:07am from New York, is disabled near Chatham and now 45 minutes late. An extra train is in route to pick up passengers and continue stops to Dover. Will update.
 #575010  by thebigc

philipmartin wrote:What burns me up is when train crew deliberately run ahead of schedule, (without the notation in the timetable.) It's usually on runs that don't handle a lot of people. I've been complaining about it for years, both as a block operator and ticket agent on NJT, (and as a passenger who got left behind once.) I'd rather see a train leave late than early.
On time performance: it's a gamble with NJT.
Philip Martin
Running a little early on a M&E w/b is a good thing. You get less dirtbags that way.

Especially at Morristown.
 #575344  by Grump

thebigc wrote:Running a little early on a M&E w/b is a good thing. You get less dirtbags that way.
Wow. You're dirtbags realize there's a schedule?
 #577049  by firthorfifth06

in regards to station stops, is it customary for a train to blow by a scheduled station stop (not on accident).

For example, on a trip I took to High Bridge once, the engineer slowed the train coming west into annandale, and the conductor asked if anyone was getting off. no one answered, and he saw no one outside, so he told the engineer not to stop. is this even a correct procedure? the train was not running late.

if this is a somewhat correct procedure, how often does it happen?