• Report NJTR delays here

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by henry6

firthorfifth06 wrote:in regards to station stops, is it customary for a train to blow by a scheduled station stop (not on accident).

For example, on a trip I took to High Bridge once, the engineer slowed the train coming west into annandale, and the conductor asked if anyone was getting off. no one answered, and he saw no one outside, so he told the engineer not to stop. is this even a correct procedure? the train was not running late.

if this is a somewhat correct procedure, how often does it happen?
I've seen it done, too. Is it correct? No. Is it good railroading? Depends. But it makes sense for time and in fuel savings for sure! One star each for the conductor and engineer!
  by mbaker1979

Technically, no it's not correct. That procedure is only allowed at flag stops (which NJT has none of). If someone were to complain and say they were standing at the station and the train never stopped, trust me, the train would be downloaded and the crew would get in trouble if it was proven that the train did not stop. On 3805/7805, half the time nobody gets off at Jersey Avenue, but the train is stopped, even if for 2 seconds and the door isn't opened. Therefore the train did make its scheduled stop. The practice of slowing down, but not stopping on NJT is common, especially going to Port Jervis or Gladstone at night. But the engineers are very observant of the platform and the crew makes sure that nobody is getting off so that there is no complaint to be made. A few years ago, I rode a late night Eastbound train from Gladstone daily and the dispatcher allowed the crew to leave 10 minutes late because they normally picked up passengers at about 6 of the branch stations and still made it to Summit early. If there was nobody on the platform, the train didn't stop.
  by Jtgshu

If there is no one on the train for the last stop, for example, High Bridge, it is common for trains to turn at the second to last stop if they are an equipment move back (no passengers). It is also common to not stop at the last stop if no one is left on the train and getting off there and the train yards. (Bay Head, Gladstone, etc)
  by henry6

Jtgshu wrote:If there is no one on the train for the last stop, for example, High Bridge, it is common for trains to turn at the second to last stop if they are an equipment move back (no passengers). It is also common to not stop at the last stop if no one is left on the train and getting off there and the train yards. (Bay Head, Gladstone, etc)
These are interesting questions. Under the old CODE book of rules they would have had to unless otherwise ordered. Any given schedule train had rights and authority and had to do as scheduled or ordered. Under the new NORAC, since the time table is usually for schedule only and authority is conveyed by forms, I wonder.
  by thebigc

henry6 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:If there is no one on the train for the last stop, for example, High Bridge, it is common for trains to turn at the second to last stop if they are an equipment move back (no passengers). It is also common to not stop at the last stop if no one is left on the train and getting off there and the train yards. (Bay Head, Gladstone, etc)
These are interesting questions. Under the old CODE book of rules they would have had to unless otherwise ordered. Any given schedule train had rights and authority and had to do as scheduled or ordered. Under the new NORAC, since the time table is usually for schedule only and authority is conveyed by forms, I wonder.
Apples and oranges, here.

Of course, you could never make a "short turn" in train order territory without having your current order cancelled and a new one issued. That's more paperwork and time wasted, and even more paperwork if there's an opposing train waiting for a meet involved. 261 makes things so much easier.
  by nick11a

When 6435 (9-car Midtown Direct to Gladstone) is running very late, the train immediately yards and passengers are helped off of the train on Track 2 North (its usual yarding spot). This is becuase ordinarily the train has to X-back into the signaled mainline at East Gladstone to gain access to Track 2 North and a train is right behind it. When this occurs, the crews announce that if getting off on Track 2 North is a problem for anybody that they should get off at Peapack and catch the train directly behind them.

Also, 6431 (the 8-car MidTOWN Direct) pulls right into the yard Track 1 and lets people off at the crossing at the station. If there is someone who needs the high platform, the crews throw the switch and pull the train into the station track. But ordinarily, 6431 doesn't make it to the station.
  by duey

Tractor trailer blocking the tracks near Essex Street Station, PVL subject to 60-min delays. Psngr. may consider alternate transport. NJT bus X-honoring.
Sent: 8:02 AM
It sure sounds like the tractor trailer was hit, doesn't it? This thing has been "blocking" the tracks for almost 45 minutes now.
  by sullivan1985

Had a bridge strike today on Springfield Avenue under grade Bridge east of Summit. Form D, restricted speed, nothing to exciting. I was hoping for a truck with its roof pealed back like a sardine can, but it was only a few scratches and one police officer. Can't always get everything you want...
  by Kaback9

sullivan1985 wrote:Had a bridge strike today on Springfield Avenue under grade Bridge east of Summit. Form D, restricted speed, nothing to exciting. I was hoping for a truck with its roof pealed back like a sardine can, but it was only a few scratches and one police officer. Can't always get everything you want...
You got my hopes up :( .
  by blockline4180

15 minute delays on the Pascack Valley line tonight due to signal problems.....
Due to the recent SES tweaks??
  by Jtgshu

blockline4180 wrote:15 minute delays on the Pascack Valley line tonight due to signal problems.....
Due to the recent SES tweaks??
Nah, they had another sideswipe, but this time on the single track

:P

hahahahhaha
  by Grump

Ohh, thats what it was. I heard it was a train with an ALP46 that tore town wire near Nanuet.
  by ryanov

I'd find it odd for a train to skip stops if it is not on time. I commonly take one of the last trains of the night inbound on the Main or BCL. The trains tend to run early even when making all of the stops; I can't see what good it would do to go even faster. I do have a real problem with running early. One can make it to the station early, but you never know how early, etc. The solution of course is for them to fix the schedule. If the train runs early every night, maybe someone can <gasp> learn from that and make the schedule match reality rather than leaving people on the platform or sitting in the station irritating the people who are already on the train or going needlessly slow.
  by Ken W2KB

I can't help posting this here. 5718 out of High Bridge was about 4 minutes early into Newark Penn this morning. :wink:
  by TDowling

The "bustitution" between Harriman and PJ caused one MN train to be very late and thus skip a few Jersey stops.