• Report NJTR delays here

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by newarknj76

Why is Train #5445 always late? I try to avoid this train at all costs because every single time I have taken this train it is very crowded and and late. The train either shows up at 6:49, its scheduled departure or a few minutes after that. Since this is a crowded train it takes a few minutes for everyone to board. It may not be late that much since I try to take the earlier trains but every time I do take this train it is late. What could be done to correct this?
  by Passaic River Rat

newarknj76 wrote:Why is Train #5445 always late? I try to avoid this train at all costs because every single time I have taken this train it is very crowded and and late. The train either shows up at 6:49, its scheduled departure or a few minutes after that. Since this is a crowded train it takes a few minutes for everyone to board. It may not be late that much since I try to take the earlier trains but every time I do take this train it is late. What could be done to correct this?
Here is my guess: 5445's equipment turns off of 5746. 5746 is scheduled to arrive at Hudson yard at 6:16 PM, and pull out as 5445 at 6:28 PM. Perhaps twelve minutes is not sufficient to make this turn. Also, 5445 must cross over from Hudson to track 5 at the peak of the PM rush.

The armchair quarterback solution is to alter the equipment and crew cycles to bring 5746 strait into track 5. However, people that know what they are doing realize that this is no small logistical feat, and might not be feasible under the current schedule.

Long term solution: The Hudson pocket track.
  by ryanov

Passaic River Rat wrote:
newarknj76 wrote:Why is Train #5445 always late? I try to avoid this train at all costs because every single time I have taken this train it is very crowded and and late. The train either shows up at 6:49, its scheduled departure or a few minutes after that. Since this is a crowded train it takes a few minutes for everyone to board. It may not be late that much since I try to take the earlier trains but every time I do take this train it is late. What could be done to correct this?
Here is my guess: 5445's equipment turns off of 5746. 5746 is scheduled to arrive at Hudson yard at 6:16 PM, and pull out as 5445 at 6:28 PM. Perhaps twelve minutes is not sufficient to make this turn. Also, 5445 must cross over from Hudson to track 5 at the peak of the PM rush.

The armchair quarterback solution is to alter the equipment and crew cycles to bring 5746 strait into track 5. However, people that know what they are doing realize that this is no small logistical feat, and might not be feasible under the current schedule.

Long term solution: The Hudson pocket track.
The NEC/NJCL trains that arrive at 5:51 and 6:04 in Newark eastbound are frequently also very delayed. Then, if I'm not mistake, Amtrak 2170 or a train near that in the schedule, comes through right around the same time. The NEC troubles I noticed started with the track work.
  by Kaback9

What was the Deal with Eastbound NEC trains this evening I heard there were delays but no one could give me a straight answer came home and it seems theres no delays as of now. Did this have something to do with Trackwork?
  by ryanov

It was a couple of those trains I mentioned above again (I believe they're 3862, 3864, and 3866).
  by mbaker1979

3801 never made it to Secaucus on it's own today. There was an air compression failure that couldn't be resolved. It had to be rescued and pulled into secaucus where it was annulled, but 3805 was waiting across the platform to take on the load.
  by Taborite

Update: Due to earlier track problem at Portal Bridge, all trains into New York Penn Station subject to 15 - 30 minute delays.
Looks like Portal had a bad day...
  by newarknj76

Taborite wrote:
Update: Due to earlier track problem at Portal Bridge, all trains into New York Penn Station subject to 15 - 30 minute delays.
When I passed by on the PATH train at 8:45am there were at least 5 trains waiting to cross going toward NYC.
  by jersey_emt

The conductor on my NJCL eastbound local announced it as a broken rail on Portal Bridge that occurred in the early morning.
  by ryanov

According to the transit alerts, it was still screwed up in the evening. Anyone know what physically happened where and how?
  by RickNJT

Broken Rail it what I was told Portal Bridge still has a temp speed of 15 mph on track 2
  by ryanov

I'm due to cross it at about 6:45. I suppose we'll see if it still is as it was.
  by firthorfifth06

I woke up this morning to a text saying that service was suspended on the Gladstone Branch. What happened?

according to the website, service is supposed to be restored between summit and far hills this AM
  by cruiser939

firthorfifth06 wrote:I woke up this morning to a text saying that service was suspended on the Gladstone Branch. What happened?

according to the website, service is supposed to be restored between summit and far hills this AM
Train 400, the first eastbound out of Gladstone ripped down the wires between Gladstone and Peapack. Actually took down three poles with it, thus trapping all of the equipment in the yard at Gladstone. Neadless to say, it was a real mess.
  by Jtgshu

cruiser939 wrote:
firthorfifth06 wrote:I woke up this morning to a text saying that service was suspended on the Gladstone Branch. What happened?

Train 400, the first eastbound out of Gladstone ripped down the wires between Gladstone and Peapack. Actually took down three poles with it, thus trapping all of the equipment in the yard at Gladstone. Neadless to say, it was a real mess.
Wow, what a day to start the day!!!!

Good morning!!! hahahha