• Report NJTR delays here

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by mcmannors

Grump wrote:Animals.
I asked a conductor who had 15 people removed from a westbound RVL train on Sunday before it even left Newark, what did they do? He replied, "They were acting like freakin' animals, and I don't transport livestock." :-)
  by firthorfifth06

Could we get a damage report on the Morris & Essex and the Montclair-Boonton? NJT and CBS say M-B is suspended and M&E 1-2hr delays
  by Sirsonic

Bay Head Local wrote:
Rail Update MBNTN-MID #6242, the 3:00pm departure from Montclair State University is cancelled. Passengers may use train #3854.
If a train from the Montclair-Boonton Line is canceled why are they directing them to a Northeast Corridor Line train??
They neglected to mention the train was cancelled at Secaucus due to mechanical issues.
  by HillDweller

Managed to catch an earlier train being late from Mount Tabor to Newark-- stopped at Tabor around 7:30. Saw a lot of damaged trees on the way, but the line was clear at least. Train made all local stops, but a lot of people looked at the crowd standing in the aisles and didn't get on. We were told that things were backed up ahead of us, so we were moving dead slow. As usual, people standing near the center of the car parked themselves and didn't move in, so we had passengers standing in the vestibules by the time we got to Newark. Amazingly, I was only six minutes late to work. A colleague who uses the NE Corridor was about an hour late.
  by ryanov

It seems as if every night, 3866 or 3868 are very late. Tonight actually seemed to be one of the earlier times, when 3868 was only about 6 mins late. I've read repeatedly on the boards at Newark Penn that one or the other of those trains was 25 mins late. Does anyone know why these two are getting hit so hard? Wrong direction at rush hour when the work is going on I'm guessing? Late equipment at origin?
  by Bay Head Local

#2309 is operating 20 min late near Middletown due to motor vehicle obstructing track ahead. Unable to contact crew.
"Unable to contact crew" what does that mean?? isn't that a hazard?
  by nick11a

Bay Head Local wrote:
#2309 is operating 20 min late near Middletown due to motor vehicle obstructing track ahead. Unable to contact crew.
"Unable to contact crew" what does that mean?? isn't that a hazard?
Surprised they put that on the website. Boy, that is funny!

"CAR 54.... WHERE ARE YOU????"
  by Matt Johnson

I was on the 9:17 am express departure out of Newark this morning heading to Princeton Junction, and the train broke down near Metropark. We ended up transfering to the local train after a half hour or so.
  by Grump

Bay Head Local wrote: "Unable to contact crew" what does that mean?? isn't that a hazard?
Its probably referring to the Operations Communications department, not the Train Dispatcher. Operations Communications are the ones that will chirp the crews during various service disruptions and situations to get info for the Service Advisories, etc.... They have nothing to do with directing or coordinating the movement of trains...
  by sullivan1985

Grump wrote:They have nothing to do with directing or coordinating the movement of trains...
Sometimes they like to think they do...
  by IRFCA_RRfan

one more "disabled train" today 07/10. Seemed to be between SEC and NYP. My 6613 to Dover was late 30 min. Many NYP bound trains piled up and waited to get in at SEC.
  by IRFCA_RRfan

just a stone stuck in the tube and the usual extraction....
:wink:
About Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast Line and MidTOWN DIRECT Delays on Thursday, July 10, 2008

Issued July 10, 2008 10:40 a.m.

NJ TRANSIT apologizes for the delay and inconvenience many of you experienced this morning.

Shortly before 8 a.m., Gladstone MidTOWN DIRECT train 6410 became mechanically disabled in the South Tube, blocking one of the two single-track tunnels between New Jersey and New York Penn Station.

Until train 6410 could be moved, all NJ TRANSIT and Amtrak trains in both directions were forced to share the single-track North Tube for service in and out of Penn Station. This caused delays to all trains ranging from 15-40 minutes.

Attempts by the train 6410’s crew to rectify the problem were unsuccessful, and a rescue locomotive was dispatched to tow the train out of the tunnel.

The disabled train was cleared around 8:45 a.m. and normal operations resumed using both tunnels. Residual delays affected service through the mid-morning hours.

During this incident, we provided train crews with information to relay to customers and provided the most current delay information available via station PA announcements, broadcast traffic reports and the My Transit alert system, which can send personalized travel advisories to your cell phone, PDA or pager. (To sign up for My Transit, visit www.njtransit.com.)

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience. If you have additional questions or comments regarding these delays, please contact us online at www.njtransit.com or by calling NJ TRANSIT Customer Service at 973-275-5555.
  by Grump

Of course the passengers will probably find out immediately what the delay is using the MYTRANSIT service to their PDAs and cell phones, and I will get the NJT text message to my company issued Nextel sometime tomorrow...
  by Jtgshu

Grump wrote:Of course the passengers will probably find out immediately what the delay is using the MYTRANSIT service to their PDAs and cell phones, and I will get the NJT text message to my company issued Nextel sometime tomorrow...
Boy, I just thought of a wonderful idea, and a tremendous cost savings!!! Program all the trainman's phones to recieve the MYTransit service and viola!!! "Operations and communications department" can be part of that 20 percent cost savings!!!

Remember, NJT had to cancel the 1-800 customer service number as a "cost cutting" measure......
  by nick11a

OK folks, I heard the ultimate delay announcement today at Berkeley Heights to end all other delays announcements.

"ATTENTION.... BERKELEY HEIGHTS PASSENGERS. THE 3:38 TRAIN TO.... GLADSTONE.... IS OPERATING..... ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY-ONE MINUTES LATE. WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE."

That's more than an inconvenience. :-)