Railroad Forums 

• Double Deck Passenger Cars

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#254582  by Diverging Route

Robert Paniagua wrote:Oh Ok I didn't catch that yet, I though I saw it too. But I had 926 from RTE 128 up to BOS.

Also, F40 1012 is ST214's favorite engine....
926 may be there as part of the acceptance process for 932, to ensure the trainlines work properly.
 #254749  by GP40MC1118

The 932 will undergo acceptence testing on the Lowell mainline this
Saturday. Usual spots between Wilmington and N.Billerica sometime
after 9AM.

D
 #257707  by number1tfan

According to NETransit, 900-915 are in service on the Old Colony lines, 916-931 are on the south side. I have a guess 932 will be on the south side too :( . I was hoping that 900-932 would be for the north side.
Last edited by number1tfan on Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.

#257710  by Robert Paniagua

I know, I understand you want DDs up north, it's a lot of Southside users who want to keep them here down south. I really like the 900s alot, since they have brighter lighting (like the WMATA rehabbed 3000s and new 5/6000s) than the 700/1700s and the 900s are restroom equipped.

FYI nice avatar shot, Mr. number1tfan

#257764  by Diverging Route

Wish all you want for bi-levels on the north side, but it's not likely. Recently, I "wrote to the top" about the crowding and car shortages, and received the following reply from the MBTA:
Dear Diverging Route:

I am in receipt of your email of 5/30/06 regarding overcrowding.

Bi-level coaches are not assigned to the north side at this time because the south side has a need for increased seating capacity as the majority of trains have ridership levels exceeding those on the north. The south side is also compromised by restrictions on the length of trains at many stations that will not allow for longer trains, making lengthy single car sets unusable. The north side does not have this problem and therefore the longer single level cars are employed.

At the same time, however, actions are being taken to ensure that all trains on the north side have adequate seating provided for passengers. I am hopeful any current shortages of seats, in particular those on the Lowell Line, will be successfully addressed within the next few weeks.

I hope I have been able to adequately respond to your concerns and thank you for taking the time to write to me.

Sincerely,

Bob Stoetzel
Chief Transportation Officer
MBTA Railroad Operations

#257786  by sabourinj

For the sake of continued wishing, maybe the station expansion will increase ridership some to for them to feel DD's justified?

JS

#257791  by Ron Newman

Won't they be needed once the North Station platforms are shortened?

#257794  by danib62

Ron Newman wrote:Won't they be needed once the North Station platforms are shortened?
No because even the longest North Station trains still have plenty of room to spare on the platforms.

#257835  by sery2831

Not on all the tracks, the lower numbered tracks pretty much just fit 7 cars.

#257907  by b&m 1566

Okay so even if a car or two do not make the platform can't people still board a car and just walk through to another? or is that not considered up to today’s codes/standards?

#258020  by sery2831

Well we have to put the wheel chairs in the car behind the engine, since the high levels are on that end of all the platforms. So coming inbound you have a wheel chair in the last car, and that doesnt make the platform. You have a problem!

#261802  by number1tfan

Responding to theseaandalifesaver who started the useless Double Deckers... thread, the yard at North Station is used for both the north and south sides. I wondered why double deckers were there too. NeTransit says that that is the yard for all commuter rail cars.

#261817  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

this is where the MBTA services all their commuter rail fleet, engines and cars
 #274888  by number1tfan

I wrote:According to NETransit, 900-915 are in service on the Old Colony lines, 916-931 are on the south side. I have a guess 932 will be on the south side too :( . I was hoping that 900-932 would be for the north side.
Sadly for all you north siders listening to this, the last double decker, 932, was assigned to the south side :( . I'm not suprised though. Why assign only one double decker to the north side. If they were to assign double deckers to the north side they'd assign multiple cars.