• Double Deck Passenger Cars

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by AEM7AC920

Robert Paniagua wrote:If you're talking about the Fisher St, Franklin crash, yes, most of them have been restored toservice. 1710, the "motorperson control" car, however, is still OOS pending repair.
"Engineer's control car" not motorman :wink:

by Robert Paniagua

I knew that, it's the way the car looks, like a subway car, so I nicknamed it the motorperson cab, but in treality, the poeple who drive them (like you :-)) are certifine locomotive engine eningineers.

Now, back on topic, have anyone heard the latest news on the new 75 car order yet, especially if quicker progress is being made?

by AEM7AC920

At the rate the screamers are running, we need the locos... According to NET transit, we shouldn't hear anything until the end of this year.

by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, I know about those 1000-1017 units, they need to be retired and dumped like the MTA IRT & BMT/IND Redbirds.

by l008com

I still have yet to see any double deckers on the lowell or haverhill lines. Are there any running these days?

by AznSumtinSumtin

The double deckers don't run on the lines coming out of North Station. They only run on the lines coming out of South Station.

by ironcladlou

AznSumtinSumtin wrote:The double deckers don't run on the lines coming out of North Station. They only run on the lines coming out of South Station.
Forgive the dumb question, but why?

by danib62

ironcladlou wrote:Forgive the dumb question, but why?
Ridership numbers don't justify using them on the north side.

by ironcladlou

Makes sense. Thanks.

by l008com

I thought back in this thread, it said they were going to start using them on the north side?

by CRail

Eventually they will because there will probably never be an order of single level cars again. Which means (due to bathrooms) once the German cars are scrapped, 900's or newer cars will have to come north. I'll put any amount of money on it that the next batch of double deckers will send some 700's and 900's to the dark side.

by ST214

Nope, the rest of the 200's and 600's will come up here first......

I think it will take another large order before any Kawasaki's run up here....

by l008com

I want double deckers on the lowell line :-/

Is there any noticeable miles per gallon increase on trains that are shorter, but run doubles, vs longer trains of all singles?

by cpontani

Isn't it a wash? More seats per car, but more weight. There should be a drop in mileage in for an equal number of cars.
  by jbvb

Double-deck cars were used on the North Side for a couple of years when they were new. I rode them to Haverhill; I recall this being the period when the ground-level track was being used E of Wellington, rather than the underpass under the Medford track. I don't recall if they made the underpass big enough for them when they dug it out.

At any rate, they were moved to the South Side after a couple of derailments at North Station. Word on the BM_RR group at yahoo is that the slip switches at Tower A are a little too sharp-angled for them.