• Double Deck Passenger Cars

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by GP40MC 1116

number1tfan wrote:
I wrote:According to NETransit, 900-915 are in service on the Old Colony lines, 916-931 are on the south side. I have a guess 932 will be on the south side too :( . I was hoping that 900-932 would be for the north side.
Sadly for all you north siders listening to this, the last double decker, 932, was assigned to the south side :( . I'm not suprised though. Why assign only one double decker to the north side. If they were to assign double deckers to the north side they'd assign multiple cars.
Even if they so do assign double deckers to the north side.. i shure has heck havn't seen them

by MBTA3247

The Kawasaki cars are all assigned to the south side, and will be for the foreseeable future. There are several bridges on all the northside lines with tight side clearances that force a 5 MPH speed restriction on those cars. Eventually I expect the T will get around to widening those clearances as more single-level cars get replaced with bilevels. Kawasaki cars can be seen around BET because that does a lot of repair work for the south side fleet as well as the north side; Readville doesn't have the capacity or capability to handle all the work for the southside fleet.

BTW, 932 is actually owned by Rhode Island. Something to do with the extension to the airport down there.

by Diverging Route

MBTA3247 wrote: BTW, 932 is actually owned by Rhode Island. Something to do with the extension to the airport down there.
932 is NOT owned by Rhode Island. Rhode Island gave the MBTA money equivalent to the cost of five cars, out of the total order of 33 as part of the deal to increase service to Providence, and later, beyond. All cars are in a "pool," and can be used anywhere, at any time. All of the cars are owned by the MBTA.

by sery2831

And there is only one North Side K Car speed restriction. That's the going over the little bridge between Bradford and Haverhill(not the river bridge)...

Other than that they can operate normal.

by b&m 1566

So what's the deal with the cars that were damaged in the accident in Franklin? Are they not badly damaged for them to still get fixed? How long are we looking at when the fixed?

by Diverging Route

b&m 1566 wrote:So what's the deal with the cars that were damaged in the accident in Franklin? Are they not badly damaged for them to still get fixed? How long are we looking at when the fixed?
Only 1710 (the control cab car) is out of service. The other two coaches were returned to service rather quickly.

by MBTA3247

b&m 1566 wrote:So what's the deal with the cars that were damaged in the accident in Franklin? Are they not badly damaged for them to still get fixed? How long are we looking at when the fixed?
Most of the cars on that train are fine or need only minor repairs. The 1710 is probably history, though. The damage to its right side is quite severe, and at least a third of that side of the car would have to be replaced, if not more. You can see my photo sof the damage here.

by b&m 1566

Nice pictures! If the car is destroyed will they replace it or are they just going to be down one double deck car? I believe it was Bernie that was telling me the other day that the double deck cars are also going to be used on the north side... is that true? I know originally the cars were for the south side because of the larger volume of people which lines would the double deck cars be used on for the north side?

by Robert Paniagua

I saw pictures of 1710 you provided, and all I saw was the upper right side needing replacement, maybe they'll need to replace the rods that hold the car's frame, and have it all peeled and a new shell skin put in.

by b&m 1566

So how many of these cars are there? I hear there suppose to get more, is this true?
Off topic but is the T planning to purchase new single level cars again or are they all going to be double decked someday? I haven’t heard anything on single level cars.

by GP40MC 1116

b&m 1566 wrote:So how many of these cars are there? I hear there suppose to get more, is this true?
Off topic but is the T planning to purchase new single level cars again or are they all going to be double decked someday? I haven’t heard anything on single level cars.
Brian

The MBTA has requested bids for 75 new bi-level coaches. The opening bid date is 03/22/07

As for numbers, what series etc, go to the EXCELLENT NE Transit MBTA Roster located below, just scroll down to the Commuter Rail Section

http://members.aol.com/rtspcc/roster/MBTAroster.html

by MBTA3247

b&m 1566 wrote:Off topic but is the T planning to purchase new single level cars again or are they all going to be double decked someday? I haven’t heard anything on single level cars.
I doubt it. The trend (both here and across the nation) is to buy bi-level cars. It's an easy way to add capacity without adding trains or lengthening platforms.

by b&m 1566

The cars that got damaged a few months back from the crossing accident what’s has happened to them so far? If nothing has happened to them yet any word what might be done? Are they going to be repaired or scrapped?

by Robert Paniagua

If you're talking about the Fisher St, Franklin crash, yes, most of them have been restored toservice. 1710, the "motorperson control" car, however, is still OOS pending repair.

by MBTA3247

1710 has been repaired enough to be shipped out to Kawasaki for full repairs, with a tarp covering the hole in the side. Currently MBCR and CSX are arguing about how to route it.