Railroad Forums 

• Official New England Southern Thread (NEGS)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#294936  by GP40MC 1116

Stopped back at 6:00PM, the two employee's cars were gone, and the NEGS White Chevy Hi-Rail truck was back, not sure if they were doing trackwork someplace or not. but thats a possibility.

#294955  by Dick H

The MBRRE is running a "makeup" trip tomorrow from Meridith to Concord, which will cover the NEGS from Tilton to Concord. Possibly, the track crew was patrolling and doing some last minute fix-ups on the line.

Dick

#294957  by GP40MC 1116

Dick H wrote:The MBRRE is running a "makeup" trip tomorrow from Meridith to Concord, which will cover the NEGS from Tilton to Concord. Possibly, the track crew was patrolling and doing some last minute fix-ups on the line.

Dick
I never thought of that, thanks Dick! One thing im not sure of is if the NEGS 2370 will be pulling the train at all. I know that it probably will be the Plymouth and Lincoln ex NEGS 302 for some of the trip

#294968  by b&m 1566

Yes the 2370 will be used on Saturday. I believe the engines will switch out at Northfield. NEGS did some tie replacement in Northfield this pasted Tuesday to get ready for the fan trip which by the way is NOT a make up from the May trip; this trip is seperate from the May trip.

#295538  by GP40MC 1116

b&m 1566 wrote:Yes the 2370 will be used on Saturday. I believe the engines will switch out at Northfield. NEGS did some tie replacement in Northfield this pasted Tuesday to get ready for the fan trip which by the way is NOT a make up from the May trip; this trip is seperate from the May trip.
From NERAIL:

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ydate%3A11

#295632  by b&m 1566

Only 3 cars for this trip! I guess that's what you get for telling people you need to pay 65 more dollars for a make up run, or at least that's what they were calling it back when the original trip came up short in May. Yea it was suppose to be a make up train to finish up the mileage but that changed about two months ago when they said it was going to be a different ride. No one got any kind of refund for the un-traveled mileage in May and because I made a big deal over the phone with MBRRE they said will take 5 dollars off this next ride... talk about a smack in the face! Apparently I wasn't the only one up set about it. It went from a 6 car consist in May to a 3 car consist.

#296526  by GP40MC 1116

b&m 1566 wrote:Only 3 cars for this trip! I guess that's what you get for telling people you need to pay 65 more dollars for a make up run, or at least that's what they were calling it back when the original trip came up short in May. Yea it was suppose to be a make up train to finish up the mileage but that changed about two months ago when they said it was going to be a different ride. No one got any kind of refund for the un-traveled mileage in May and because I made a big deal over the phone with MBRRE they said will take 5 dollars off this next ride... talk about a smack in the face! Apparently I wasn't the only one up set about it. It went from a 6 car consist in May to a 3 car consist.
Yup, seems more than one person felt the same way. I would myself, you pay almost 60-70 a ticket, and they said the ride would be complete and then i know it was not their control over the washout. But im sure if they let this recent ride on for "free" with the people who were from the last one, you would get people who never paid trying to jump in, and that woud creat a issue about seating. I believe a RDC-1 seats about 90 passengers

#298336  by nhguy21

Caught NEGS 2370 northbound around 6pm tonight in Hooksett village. Had 2 telephone cars, 1 empty MEC gondola, 1 covered hopper for Blue Seal and 17 cement cars. Going at a good clip thru the villiage.

JH

#298379  by b&m 1566

Was talking to Peter the other day and got some intrusting information. Supposedly next spring they may have a customer in Penacook. There is a warehouse for lease and a customer is interested in leasing the warehouse and use NEGS for service. Peter said nothing is in stone and isn't going to get his hopes up but something is in the works. Pan Am gave him a hard time a few weeks back for bad track conditions from Concord to Penacook and had to remind Pan Am they haven't serviced the area in about 15 years. Track work would need to be done before regular service starts but wouldn't need it if it was only going to be spears service. Peter did have a big company wanting to move into Penacook about a year or two ago that would have given NEGS another 1400 car loads per year (about 26 to 27 car loads a week) but Pan Am turned it down saying they couldn't do the service.

On another note: Peter is hoping to re-paint the 2370 in another year or two but right now is main concern is getting the track up to a better quality; this year alone they have replace almost 2,000 ties from Bow to Northfield and are only halfway done. When he does paint the 2370 he's not sure want color he wants to paint it. His company colors are a dark green and gold but he likes the yellow on the 2370 because it sticks out better in regards to safety. What color do you people think he should paint the 2370 with?
Engine 503 is still sitting crippled next to the lumber company but he hopes to start fixing it next spring; two of the traction motors need to be fixed. NEGS still needs the 503 for back up and as a helper when the consists sometimes get to be about 40+ cars long and when over half of them are cement cars the 2370 sometimes struggles.

#298397  by greenus90

If he likes the Gold color because of safety, I've always been fond of the Harvest Yellow MEC GP-38's from the 60's- Heck, since the hood is a GP39 it would look great as it is nearly identical to a GP38.

#298419  by GP40MC 1116

b&m 1566 wrote:Was talking to Peter the other day and got some intrusting information. Supposedly next spring they may have a customer in Penacook. There is a warehouse for lease and a customer is interested in leasing the warehouse and use NEGS for service. Peter said nothing is in stone and isn't going to get his hopes up but something is in the works. Pan Am gave him a hard time a few weeks back for bad track conditions from Concord to Penacook and had to remind Pan Am they haven't serviced the area in about 15 years. Track work would need to be done before regular service starts but wouldn't need it if it was only going to be spears service. Peter did have a big company wanting to move into Penacook about a year or two ago that would have given NEGS another 1400 car loads per year (about 26 to 27 car loads a week) but Pan Am turned it down saying they couldn't do the service.

On another note: Peter is hoping to re-paint the 2370 in another year or two but right now is main concern is getting the track up to a better quality; this year alone they have replace almost 2,000 ties from Bow to Northfield and are only halfway done. When he does paint the 2370 he's not sure want color he wants to paint it. His company colors are a dark green and gold but he likes the yellow on the 2370 because it sticks out better in regards to safety. What color do you people think he should paint the 2370 with?
Engine 503 is still sitting crippled next to the lumber company but he hopes to start fixing it next spring; two of the traction motors need to be fixed. NEGS still needs the 503 for back up and as a helper when the consists sometimes get to be about 40+ cars long and when over half of them are cement cars the 2370 sometimes struggles.
This year alone NEGS has done alot of tie work as Brian pointed out. This is nessisarry i believe due to the fact that the ROW as much as NEGS pusts work into, the sections that Pan Am runs with the most, up to say Bow, parts of that are the worst. NEGS and all it's staff as I see are hard working and dedicated people, they have transformed this railyard and line to something that is cleanred up and presentable. Where if no one was running it, it would be all filled with weeds, and trashed beyond belief, I wouldn't want to know what vandals would do to the Concord Tower. The foks down at NEGS keep NH Railroad History alive each and everyday they run, and they deserve alot of credit.

I really am excited, I want to see the 503 running, as NEGS is just left with the 2370 now. The ex Quincy Bay Number 20 is now opperated by the PSNH Power Plant, the NEGS 566 ex Conrail has been sold to a private owner and now up in Lincoln, NH at the Hobo RR. It wil be good as my NEGS conterpart Brian pointed out, that when the NEGS Carload gets out, the 2370 can't handle the load as a single unit. Those Cement cars now even give it some trouble. I would like to see the 2370 painted in the Union Pacific sceme back to it's orig condition, and maybie somethig special, NEGS can create a updated version of their logo to place on the engine.It currently looks like this:

#298602  by bozotexino

If they decide to repaint the 2370, and they want something resembling the NEGS corporate colors, they should consider the original scheme carried by the engine as MKT 371:

http://www.trainweb.org/mesquitebelt/catspring.html

Just substitute the NEGS map logo in place of the big MKT letters on her flanks. This would be a perfect solution - the unit's heritage is honored, the NEGS colors are represented, and visibility is excellent.

bozo

#301043  by GP40MC 1116

bozotexino wrote:If they decide to repaint the 2370, and they want something resembling the NEGS corporate colors, they should consider the original scheme carried by the engine as MKT 371:

http://www.trainweb.org/mesquitebelt/catspring.html

Just substitute the NEGS map logo in place of the big MKT letters on her flanks. This would be a perfect solution - the unit's heritage is honored, the NEGS colors are represented, and visibility is excellent.

bozo
Thats a good idea, I never thought of that. Then again i don't own the place either..LOL

#303261  by nhguy21

I have noticed over the last few weeks that GRS/PAR has not been leaving cars for NEGS or when they do they are not putting them in the stub double track next to the ball park. Today I spotted about 6 or so cars down in the Manchester yard, last week there was 3 left on the main under Queen City Ave. Anyone know what gives ??

JH

#303325  by GP40MC 1116

nhguy21 wrote:I have noticed over the last few weeks that GRS/PAR has not been leaving cars for NEGS or when they do they are not putting them in the stub double track next to the ball park. Today I spotted about 6 or so cars down in the Manchester yard, last week there was 3 left on the main under Queen City Ave. Anyone know what gives ??

JH
Wel the GRS/PAR "schedule" and delivery schedule to drop stuff out for NEGS was never any good, it's alot some week, and none to anything other weeks. I know becides the Main Line comming through downtown, before it branches off in the yard, the track condition for the yard however is not very good. That may be a reason why their not storing alot of cars. Also, I know their can be a limit to how many cars that are stuch on the Stub track, i believe it's the Number 2" track, then again I don't know how to explain the yard down thier. The Main Line has to be clear because of the Bow Coal Train which comes through alot. As for the leaving under Queen City Ave, hmm well I know ive seen GRS/PAR leave the power under their when changing crews. All in all i would say track condition, but you never know whats up?