Railroad Forums 

• Official New England Southern Thread (NEGS)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#287798  by nhguy21

I saw the tie replacement in full swing in Hooksett the other day. I assume this is GRS/PAR doing it this far south. It was right near Robies.

Josh

#288013  by febus

Hello,
If those projects of commuter train service to Concord come to fruition
one day, is there any room to have double trackage back between Nashua and Concord?

#288069  by Meyblc

I would like to think so. The entire line up to Concord was at one time double tracked. It was cut back to a single track some time in the 50's. The right of way still exists with the single track. I don't see why they couldn't double track it again if they needed to.

#288505  by GP40MC 1116

nhguy21 wrote:I saw the tie replacement in full swing in Hooksett the other day. I assume this is GRS/PAR doing it this far south. It was right near Robies.

Josh
The only tie replacement job i knew of was by NEGS(New England Southern) and that was happening from Blue Seal in Bow up to the NEGS Yard/Office in Concord. However it's possible GRS/PAR could be doing work of their own, but heh it's Pan Am, and their treatment of the Northern is not very good..

#288731  by b&m 1566

Bernie when we were up there a few weeks ago Pan Am was working on the track as well as the crossing lights near Perini Siding in Bow.

#288868  by GP40MC 1116

b&m 1566 wrote:Bernie when we were up there a few weeks ago Pan Am was working on the track as well as the crossing lights near Perini Siding in Bow.
Thats correct, I stand corrected.. Thanks Brian!

#288960  by nhguy21

Well I went over the line again yesterday thru Hooksett Villiage and have changed a LOT of ties on curve just south of the Merrimack River Bridge on the east side. It look like every other or every 3rd tie was changed out. I didn't see any indication of this on the bridge or the north side next to Robies and the Fire Station.

Josh

#289047  by GP40MC 1116

nhguy21 wrote:Well I went over the line again yesterday thru Hooksett Villiage and have changed a LOT of ties on curve just south of the Merrimack River Bridge on the east side. It look like every other or every 3rd tie was changed out. I didn't see any indication of this on the bridge or the north side next to Robies and the Fire Station.

Josh
Thats good though, that GRS/PAR are doing work on the Bow-Manchester stretch. I know for sure the track conditions from Perini in Bow up to Concord arn't the best, but i must say, the rails look better than with rust on them.!

#293122  by GP40MC 1116

Stopped in Concord today early arround 11:30PM. NEGS GP39 2370 with a crew of two switched the Yard in preperation to head south to Manchester, NH. Things were held up for a Southbound Coal Train which was in the Plant, then on the mainline. NEGS 2370 pushed 5 or 6 hoppers to Blue Seal in Bow, then came back lite engine to Concord where the train was being prepared. Found out via Cell phone that as of 4:40PM, they were switchng out Cement Quebec. Were on their way down to Manchester, and got their and dropped their cars and returned to Concord lite engine as Pan Am NA-1 did not drop anytthing to go North

#293433  by b&m 1566

Yeah it was a pretty easy day for Peter and company yesterday. Spent most of the day switching out the cars and getting a consist ready for the trip to Manchester. It was delayed over an hour because the Bow Coal train was having head light problems. It worked out for NEGS because they didn't have to rush around the yard trying to get all the cars in order. Blue Seal received 5 loads and Quebec Cement received 6 loads. NEGS left Concord with 21 cars but after the switch out with Quebec Cement they left 20 cars in Manchester for Pan Am before returning back to Concord at 1930. Pan Am was suppose to have cars ready for NEGS to pick up but like always the yard was empty; Pan Am didn't have a grew for the job. Peter said he's lucky if he receives 3 loads a week from Pan Am; as of late it’s been down to 1 or 2 a week; it's getting to the point now that NEGS may file a law suit against Pan Am. Peter is aware though that Pan Am has money to spend and will more or less brush it under the rug but he might not have a choice.

#293467  by GP40MC 1116

b&m 1566 wrote:Yeah it was a pretty easy day for Peter and company yesterday. Spent most of the day switching out the cars and getting a consist ready for the trip to Manchester. It was delayed over an hour because the Bow Coal train was having head light problems. It worked out for NEGS because they didn't have to rush around the yard trying to get all the cars in order. Blue Seal received 5 loads and Quebec Cement received 6 loads. NEGS left Concord with 21 cars but after the switch out with Quebec Cement they left 20 cars in Manchester for Pan Am before returning back to Concord at 1930. Pan Am was suppose to have cars ready for NEGS to pick up but like always the yard was empty; Pan Am didn't have a grew for the job. Peter said he's lucky if he receives 3 loads a week from Pan Am; as of late it’s been down to 1 or 2 a week; it's getting to the point now that NEGS may file a law suit against Pan Am. Peter is aware though that Pan Am has money to spend and will more or less brush it under the rug but he might not have a choice.
Heh Brian, you beat me a nice more detailed report.. Id say you were taking notes or something.... :-D

#294795  by wog820

Has DJ's Caboose arrived in Concord yet :-) It's an ex CN van with NYC Finger Lakes Markings :wink:

#294810  by GP40MC 1116

wog820 wrote:Has DJ's Caboose arrived in Concord yet :-) It's an ex CN van with NYC Finger Lakes Markings :wink:
I went down to the Concord Yard/Office at 11:00AM today, I did see two cars parked their, one of which i recognized, but the NEGS 2370 was parked, off and the handbrake on, so it didn't look like they were going anywhere. The missing thing, was NEGS's Chevy Hi-Rail Pickup, so not sure where exactly they went. I may drop by their later this afternoon before I leave Concord and check things out. One note,their did look like their were cars in Manchester Yard when I went past their, not sure if they are running today, we shal see :-D