• Official New England Southern Thread (NEGS)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by GP40MC 1116

Apparently I just missed Peter and NEGS today in Manchester at CPN-28. I was downtown on Elm St arround 12:30-12:40 and I hear a train horn and look down the side street by Subwya and see the gates rising, so i know it must be a short train, because the Bow Coal would have been passing for a few minutes. I start to walk down Elm faster to try and catch something, and indeed I hear more horns carring the sound down towards the yard. Well i wasn't close to the yard at all, so I jsut decided to get my sub, and as i hopped on a MTA Bus, I could see the yard from where I was on the bus, and indeed it their were cars on the stub track, but no power. Either NEGS had dropped the cars and headed back north, but otherwise, I had not seen the 2370

Anyone see/hear anything

by GP40MC 1116

NEGS GP39-2- 2370 moving arround the Concord Yard for a bit today. Looked as if it was moving things down the "Team Track" if you can call it that that leads to Northern Pacific Forest Products/Coastal Lumber
  by GP40MC 1116

I was wondering if anyone on this board could help me with some questions. I know a good amount of the NEGS opps by being around them a good amount, but please read and see if you can direct me at all!

New England Southern Railroad (NEGS) has freight rights from Concord up to the Northfield Freight House across the river as well to a single customer at Quinn T Corp in Tilton. I see on a list also, that their is another customer, Innovative Paper Technology, anyone know the story about them and Quinn T? Car loads, type of business etc? The "Normal" interchange point between NEGS and the PLRR is Lochmere Siding in Belmont, but at times I have seen them up in Laconia, Tilton, and Northfield.. Anywhere that has a passing siding basically. The Plymouth and Lincoln at times runs special trips down in the Northfield as well.

Now my question per say is this. Besides Quinn T in Tilton and "Innovative Paper Tech, (if they even get anything), are those the last customers North besides Agway in Concord? I wonder if their are any possibilities for new customers to pop up on the line in the Laconia, or Merideth Areas, because past their I don’t' know of any areas with siding's or abandoned spurs. It would be nice to see some business in that area. I know it seems like a long shot, but with a freight railroad that would probably do the business why not.

Speaking of NEGS and its traffic, over the last few weeks, train sizes and carloads have been very big, especially going south. About 2 weeks ago I chased the train with b&m 1566 and Peter and crew had at least 25 cars I would say going south to Manchester. After a few cuts at Cement Quebec the engine was tied back on and away to Manchester. This begs the question, besides Cement Quebec which is a very large customer for NEGS, does anyone know or agree that the traffic levels are on the rise?

If only NEGS was able to go to Nashua, then we would see a rise in traffic! Customers in Nashua, Merrimack Manchester and then NEGS's normal ones. Ohh what a sight it would be

lastly... I was wondering about the line out to Penacook. I know it currently goes dead after the last source of a "customer" which hasn't seen service I bet since the 80's it goes over a trestle and ends at the Penacook, NH Freight House. The thing that is interesting, is their is a company that is right near that freight house that could use rail service. Now the line would need some work, but as it stands now line is still owned by PanAm Railways and maintained by NEGS, however, not used. The building is now used for storage by nearby Rivco as I said above. I would just wonder the possibilities that “could" happen. Maybe I am dreaming, but it’s an idea.

I would love to have a Passenger excursion starting in say Concord to Tilton and then back to Concord and out to Penacook or something... That would be "rare" mileage

I look forward to the replies!
Last edited by GP40MC 1116 on Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by NHN503

Most of the large southbound trains from Concord are due to stored cars. QC had several strings stored in Concord yard for the winter, and they have recently been pulled to be back in service.

When I last spoke with Peter about the freight house in Penacook they were attempting to get a customer in there, and the possibility of another. I believe it was lumber, but I can't remember. The part that needs to be worked out was everyday service. NEGS can provide it, but it was whether or not GRS could provide everyday service at Manchester.

The reason why you sometimes see the NEGS crews north of Lochmere is for building crew familiarity of the line. They can frequently been seen making interchange at Lakeport yard.

I know that Peter would like to run from Manchester to Nashua, but its a matter of GRS willing to give it up at a reasonable price. Something they dont seem to want to do.

We'll be looking to clear all the crossings (blow out the bankings and clear the flangeways) on the White Mountain branch to Lochmere soon. Was looking to do it this weekend, but the storms, and the good amount of snow we have up here still put that on hold till about next week or so.
  by b&m 1566

GP40MC 1116 wrote:If only NEGS was able to go to Nashua, then we would see a rise in traffic! Customers in Nashua, Merrimack Manchester and then NEGS's normal ones. Ohh what a sight it would be

lastly... I was wondering about the line out to Penacook. I know it currently goes dead after the last source of a "customer" which hasn't seen service I bet since the 80's it goes over a trestle and ends at the Penacook, NH Freight House. The thing that is interesting, is their is a company that is right near that freight house that could use rail service. Now the line would need some work, but as it stands now line is still owned by PanAm Railways and maintained by New England Southern RR, however, not used. The building is now used for storage by nearby Rivco as I said above. I would just wonder the possibilities that “could" happen. Maybe I am dreaming, but it’s an idea.

I would love to have a Passenger excursion starting in say Concord to Tilton and then back to Concord and out to Penacook or something... That would be "rare" mileage

Bernie if NEGS interchange in Nashua (the original plan) Pan Am would still keep the customers between Nashua and Manchester. If this is ever going to happen it would better NEGS service to the customers they already have. At that time they would be able to service the Penacook area with daily trips that the interested customer wants. As far as the track to Penacook goes; Pan Am made NEGS replace ties this past summer on that section of the line (even though there are no customers and they don't use it). NEGS should also be cutting the brush back on that section this coming summer along with a few other things Pan Am wants them to do.
  by GP40MC 1116

b&m 1566 wrote:
GP40MC 1116 wrote:If only NEGS was able to go to Nashua, then we would see a rise in traffic! Customers in Nashua, Merrimack Manchester and then NEGS's normal ones. Ohh what a sight it would be

lastly... I was wondering about the line out to Penacook. I know it currently goes dead after the last source of a "customer" which hasn't seen service I bet since the 80's it goes over a trestle and ends at the Penacook, NH Freight House. The thing that is interesting, is their is a company that is right near that freight house that could use rail service. Now the line would need some work, but as it stands now line is still owned by PanAm Railways and maintained by New England Southern RR, however, not used. The building is now used for storage by nearby Rivco as I said above. I would just wonder the possibilities that “could" happen. Maybe I am dreaming, but it’s an idea.

Bernie if NEGS interchange in Nashua (the original plan) Pan Am would still keep the customers between Nashua and Manchester. If this is ever going to happen it would better NEGS service to the customers they already have. At that time they would be able to service the Penacook area with daily trips that the interested customer wants. As far as the track to Penacook goes; Pan Am made NEGS replace ties this past summer on that section of the line (even though there are no customers and they don't use it). NEGS should also be cutting the brush back on that section this coming summer along with a few other things Pan Am wants them to do.
Agreeed.. Brian you are right, I remember our conversaiton with Peter and Chris about the rights to Nashua. I believe at this time, Pan Am does not opperate EDNA or NAED anymore to/from Nashua-East Deerfield, so their is no big freight comming through. Still Nashua Yard stays very filled alot. With the Bow Coal runs that helps alot. As far as I know, the majority of the cars are brought up from Ayer by NA-1 or NA-2 and left their before NA-1 or NA-2 again brings them to Manchester and they are set off for NEGS pickup. If i was able to track cars goign to NEGS I would be surprised. It's one thing for Pan Am to bring them to/from Ayer or other points, but for them to sit in Nashua and then wait for another crew on the same job just a different say for NA-1/NA-2 to bring them to Manchester. I don't beleive that a Pan Am crew could have time to go Nashua-Ayer do it's work and come back Ayer-Nashua and then go up to Nashua if not having to switch the costomer's in between.
I would love to see if service to Penacook becomes a reality again. I strogly think that NEGS is a great RR that needs to keep going strong with business, for its' costomers who like them very much and not to mention they are the Plymouth and Lincoln's "outside" world connection. I don't believe if PLRR has the personel qualified all the way down to Manchester. For that, you need to be qualified by Pan Am, I think

Ian, you were saying that NEGS, I beleive Peter, Chris and Company will be cleaning the crossings on the WM Branch up to Lochmere? Or, Will this be a NEGS event or a CVRTC event, or "joint". Either way keep us posted, that sounds interesting!

Also, Official New England Southern Thread (NEGS) :-) Wasn't it New England Southern at Concord, NH Before?

I like the name change! Lets keep this alive.. I know alot of people are interested in it, I know I l am!

by NHN503

In the next week or so (depending on snow melt :wink: )we'll be cleaning out the crossings to Tilton, then if PLRR wants some of theirs done, we may go to Laconia. It all depends on if PLRR wants to save some work for their guys.

Will not be billed as a "CVRTC" event, but mostly the "usual" speeder crews who just happen to be CVRTC members. But I will keep this updated.

Changed the title so that it would reflect more than just the happenings around Concord, and more the entire NEGS "system".

by wog820

I would love to see Peter hauling all kinds off stuff Northward :-) Too bad its a dream though.

[/quote]anyone know the story about them and Quinn T? Car loads

The cars that go to Quinn T have like a clay slurry in them not exactly sure what they use it for.

The caboose train has done that very trip a few years back, spent the day on the island in Penacook.

Speaking of the caboose train its supposed to go North to Lincoln on the 28th of this month(see you trackside perhaps?) :P

by GP40MC 1116

wog820 wrote:I would love to see Peter hauling all kinds off stuff Northward :-) Too bad its a dream though.
anyone know the story about them and Quinn T? Car loads

The cars that go to Quinn T have like a clay slurry in them not exactly sure what they use it for.

The caboose train has done that very trip a few years back, spent the day on the island in Penacook.

Speaking of the caboose train its supposed to go North to Lincoln on the 28th of this month(see you trackside perhaps?) :P
It would be cool to do. Since Pan Am is having NEGS do work to keep it to good standards, then i think a move could go on the line.

I hope to get up their.. the end of this month gets VERY busy with me.. I hope to make it, and I might be alot closer than trackside.. heh :-D

by GP40MC 1116

For those interested. Myself and b&m 1566 were treated to a dreary day on 4/2/07 but not boring at all. Upon arriving in Concord at the Yard we were watching as NEGS GP39-2 # 2370 was shoving it's final cars out of the yard and the NEGS Conductor was finishing up the paperwork. He suggested we "chase" the train and believe me the chase was on. We spent the next 3-4 hours chasing the 2370 from Concord-Bow-Hooksett to Manchester.. What a day

One of my best shots from the day:

Those interested the rest of my 84 shots (I shoot alot) are located here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/negsfire42 ... 303447107/
  by NHN503

NEGS had a track patrol on the White Mountain Branch on April, 21. Myself and 3 other cars patrolled from Concord to Sargent St in Northfield (End of NEGS track). We then received permission from the Hobo to run to the draw at Lakeport.

We set on at Concord at 0730, and the temps quickly rose to 80 degrees by mid day. The warm weather was a great welcome, ending a LONG snowy winter for NH.

Along the NEGS section we inspected culverts, cleaned crossings, and cut down several trees along the line. Everything looked pretty good, with a few notations, and it was a great ride.

Clearing trees

Just about to finish up clearing a larger pine

Last years Canterbury 2 washout

My Woodings CBI, in base coat of paint, and less some installed glass from this winters overhaul. This will become NEGS 105.

Rolling along Winnisquam Lake.

Full story for more photos and article
Full Article
Last edited by NHN503 on Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

by GRSGuy

Ian, your car looks great! Can't wait to go for more rides this year. Too bad I can't get you a cab ride in return.

by NHN503

GRSGuy wrote:Ian, your car looks great! Can't wait to go for more rides this year. Too bad I can't get you a cab ride in return.
You know you can! Looking for a co-pilot for the Hobo weekend.
  by Steamer

Looking for a co-pilot for the Hobo weekend.
Hello Ian,
If GRSguy and not make it, I would be interested in volintering for that position. I have been looking to buy a speeder, but I really would like to get a taste of the hobby first. I would like to volinteer my time and manpower to help on the Hobo run this year. If you are all set, please let me know if there are any other operators that can use a hand.

Hank Walther
Riverside, RI

by GP40MC 1116

I wanted to point this out to anyone who is fans of the NEGS like myself. It was just started by someone who approached my for info/pictures and is in the beginning stages. This will help split the NEGS info that has gotten on the GRS and Pan Am Yahoo Groups that would really be better suited their for NEGS

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/NEGSRR/

Please join up, and....... post here as well! :-D

I need to get up their soon after college is done, anyone have any movements/news?