• Official New England Southern Thread (NEGS)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Guilford Guy

At 12 I could have sworn I heard taps playing in the background.

by Dick H

Second hand report that NA-1 went from Manchester to Johnson Road this morning and was to pick up the 503 there and take it "west". No other details. Anyone??

Dick

by NellsChoo

AHA! Ok, now I get it... a little...

We saw New England Southern engine #503 today in Guilford's NA-1 switcher. We followed it from N Chelmsford to Ayer. When we left, it was on a siding by the bridge near the station, along with a few cars. The other two engines took a few other cars into the yard. Not sure what happened after.

I have two photos on NErail.

JD

by NHN503

503 is heading to NHN, it MAY be going to Waterville first for a light overhaul and tune up, but it also may as well be going just to NHN. NHN also needs to come to Concord to pick up the extra traction motors for it.

by greenus90

This morning, 10:55, 2370 passed thruy thru the Millyard in Manchester headed LHF to Concord with 6 hoppers for Ciment Quebec, 2ea SP boxcars and a white tanker or two. Not sure if it was a Gilfraud crew or if it was Peter (I've never met him) but I'm guessing it was the Big G.

I was out on break from studying (UNHM) and heard the grade crossing horns- off I go to catch it.

SO, if it was Gilford running the train, they are using the NEGS asset to do so.

by NHN503

It would be NEGS......GRS would use their own stuff. NEGS still has operations until Aug 20th.

by FatNoah

It looks like PAR has begun the process of making the necessary STB filings to take over the line.

http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... 219976.PDF
Pan Am will unite the Subject Line with Pan Am's existing system configuration and
integrate the Subject Line back into the closely controlled atmosphere of its regional railroad
operations. Moreover, Pan Am will implement all of the safety and operational policies and
procedures necessary to meet the demands of the service. As a result, Pan Am will create a more
efficient service for shippers along the Subject Line. However, the presence of NES on the
Subject Line is an impediment to pursuing this objective. Although Pan Am has rightfully
exercised its option to terminate the Lease, NES has refused to voluntarily discontinue its
operations along the Subject Line.

by bozotexino

Judging by the wording in PAR's STB filing, it would appear that PD isn't going to go away quietly! More power to him!!!

Bozo

by FatNoah

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's much that can be done unless the state steps in.

My favorite part of the filing is where it states that there will be no disruptions of service during the transition because PAR owns the line and knows it very well. The following paragraph then explains that PAR should be excused from many of the filing requirements because they haven't operated the line in 20 years and don't know it well. Huh!?!?

by NHN503

There is STB filing by I believe both parties.....mostly Peters is because he wants ALL of his money that GRS owes him...every red cent, which is only fair.

My suggestion was to put a lien on Concord yard for the total owed, but we'll see where the STB goes.

Not like GRS would pay anyway

by b&m 1566

What if the STB doesn't grant the "B&M" their wishes; can they still take over the line anyways because it's their track? At this point and time I don't even think it’s worth it for Peter to fight for it. The amount of **** they have put him through... he should just fight for the money they owe him and walk away; sell the 2370 now and get as much money as he can and enjoy his retirement.

by GP40MC 1116

Ex New England Southern GP-18 # 503 has arrived at the New Hampshire Northcost Shop in Ossipee, NH the other day. Word is it needs a new floor under the short hood and some wiring work.

NERAIL Picture- http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ge=14&key=

Not to get too far off topic, but New Hampshire Northcost's remaining GP-9 # 1757 is out of service for repairs in Ossipee as well. That just leaves the GP 38-2's 3823 and 3825 for the main train service.

by GP40MC 1116

b&m 1566 wrote:48 hours and counting! :(
Someone told me just recently that the city of Concord (at least the fire department anyways) was having or had some kind of fair-well party for Peter and his crew; don't hold me on that. I do know one thing; Peter and his railroad was well respected by the city of Concord and got along well with the customers he served. I know I am thankful for Peter letting me accompany him: whether it was a ride to Manchester, chasing the train for pictures, asking him questions or him telling stories and jokes; I doubt I will ever come across another great railroad owner and a great guy like that again.
That's right Brian. The City of Concord, NH Fire Department has worked well with Peter and NEGS over the years. Even more so Capital Area Mutual Aid which is the area regional emergency services (Fire & EMS) Dispatch Center also located in Concord has nothing but good words for Peter and NEGS. Capital Area Fire Dispatch would be the communications center handling any incidents on the Northern Towards Penacook, the White Mountain Branch as far North as Canterbury as well as as far South as the Bow and Hooksett Trackage Area's.
So over the years NEGS and Capital Area Fire Mutual Aid have worked well with Peter. It has been a great relationship. The only thing that worries me is putting Pan Am in control of the show especially some of the hazardous stuff out of Bow. I just can't in vision saying a sentence with Pan Am Railways and Safe in the same sentence :P

by b&m 1566

Well I say this with caution but someone brought to my attention that NEGS may be getting an extension on the lease. I will not say who told me, nor for how long because it not certain, if at all.

by NHN503

The only extension on the lease would be 10 days.....That is what has been asked for, but GRS has decided not to respond.

Pete would like to keep the entire RR but GRS is pretty set on taking it. The STB can only grant an extension for a limited time, but not a binding lease extension.

Too bad GRS doesn't want to sell it, and NH buy it! :(

Nice to see that tabs on the movement of 503 were on NERAIL.........I wanted to get a shot of it moving through Wakefield and Ossipee, but there was nary a word.

Whats up with the 1757? I caught it on DOBO in town last week.
Image[/img]