Railroad Forums 

• Hiding railfans and our job to turn you in

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#138242  by Aji-tater

If there's 20 tank cars of chlorine on the head end somebody's in trouble - they're supposed to be buried at least 6 cars deep.

#138301  by U.P.-Las Vegas

OK.....just for you Tater, I edited my previous post......L8ter :-D

#138337  by slchub

Hmmm.so, UP-Las Vegas, when the big bad terrorist jumps off the head end after placing the throttle into run 8, who is going to stay behind and push the alerter button when it goes off in 12 seconds, and then recover the air when the pcs opens? Not saying it won't happen, but I doubt it. Rather, I think the concern needs to be placed on securement of viaducts, bridges, etc. As trainmen, we have the ability to lock the rear door, however, the neat little lock at the front of the cab is not in use, and the trainmen do not have a key for it anyhow. I do agree with you on one point, the windows being left open. Causes a mess, allows dirt to settle on the eqpt. and allows bugs into the cab.

#138352  by jg greenwood

slchub wrote:Hmmm.so, UP-Las Vegas, when the big bad terrorist jumps off the head end after placing the throttle into run 8, who is going to stay behind and push the alerter button when it goes off in 12 seconds, and then recover the air when the pcs opens? Not saying it won't happen, but I doubt it. Rather, I think the concern needs to be placed on securement of viaducts, bridges, etc. As trainmen, we have the ability to lock the rear door, however, the neat little lock at the front of the cab is not in use, and the trainmen do not have a key for it anyhow. I do agree with you on one point, the windows being left open. Causes a mess, allows dirt to settle on the eqpt. and allows bugs into the cab.
Windows left open? Really lovely when it's the d.p. unit on a coal train. It's your lead unit on the return trip, extremely difficult to clean coal dust!

#138886  by shortlinerailroader

I always thought that unattended equipment was always supposed to be locked up (windows and doors).

Mr. Greenwood--my RR hauls Carbon Black...is that as dirty and intrusive as coal dust?

#138961  by Guest

I always thought that unattended equipment was always supposed to be locked up (windows and doors).
Yep, and most of the guys on the NS lock 'em up. Every now and then you get that old Conrail POS loco that does not even have a lock though.

Locos are locked up to prevent vandalism, not theft. They often sit for hours --simple locks would not withstand dedicated efforts to disable them. People that believe that locks on locos prevent theft, are the same people that lock their luggage thinking that it will keep their cash safe.

For me, I have a lot more fear of someone throwing a switch against my train. Switch keys are not exactly hard to come by.

-r

#143061  by mb41

Well as long as the photo taker is not on the transit property then the employee can't not do a thing neither can the train company/operator such as MBTA. Public sidewalk/street... freedom rules.

I always say "what was 9/11? Buildings, not transit" I feel the MBTA uses this to pick on buffs. I see so many foriegn tourists under ground at Park street station snapping pictures and the inpectors on the platforms say nothing!!!! When I take a photo from a public sidewalk I get my head shot off by an operator.

#144423  by Robert Paniagua

Well, now look at the mess over in London, England. I wonder if photo bans set by transit systems (especially the NYCTA) will now be revived...

#144457  by Robert Paniagua

You see, photograpgers would take a picture of something sensitive, like a tunnel or flyover and use that to plan their massacre.
 #145219  by big dan

I have to agree with the engineer. Why do you feel the need to hide? Usually if a person feels the need to hide then they feel they are doing something wrong. You only draw triple attention to yourself by hiding.

Show the camera!! You are much less likely to have a visitor from law enforcement if train workers see your camera!!

#145233  by SteelWheels21

I don't think there needs to be a ban on anything. However, I would hope that all the guys on here who take lots of pictures are chilling out for a little while after the bombings. I don't want anyone to get into trouble, just know that from the RR side this latest series of incidents is being taken very seriously.

Also all my thoughts and prayers to everyone affected by the cowardly attacks. One of my most vivid memories of post 9/11 was the outpouring of grief and support by our British friends, and I hope they understand we feel the same way towards them in the days after these attacks.