• Hiding railfans and our job to turn you in

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by UPRR engineer

A word to you guys taking pictures of trains. With all of these questions about security on the rails after 11SEP01, don't hide. Let us see you and the camara in your hand. The other day at work, I saw two guys walking along the top of a cut where there is a bridge that goes over the tracks.(which is railroad property) They ran to the bridge and then ducked down. I was about to tell the dispatcher there was two unauthorized guests. The railroad is telling us to do this to you guys. But at the last second they stood up and I could see the camara in there hands. Meeting up with the sheriff department, guns drawn would have ruined that day plus the trespassing charge and arrest. Also if you bring your kids be sure to keep well away from the tracks, off railroad property. I've seen that also, and I didn't like it.
Last edited by UPRR engineer on Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Avro Arrow

Man chill out

by UPRR engineer

If someone was gonna do something to the railroad, i sure dont wanna be a victim. I was pretty far away when they were running for the bridge. This is out in the middle of no where, not in town. I dont wanna have AK rounds punching threw the glass. Or they could have had an RPG for all i knew. I feel unsafe not bring my glock to work as it is. I never saw a railfan run and then hide, i didnt like it.
Last edited by UPRR engineer on Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by TerryC

My reaction would have been the same as UPRR engineer's. I had a similar case happen only it was in a van. Two people ducked behind a bush so we slowed and safely creeped forward. From behind the bush came a good sized rock, a glass bottle, and then the two mischief makers.

keep asking keep learning

by trainmaster_1

I would have to be on the side of UPRR Engineer on this one, I think railroad employees have the right to be suspicious on things that can harm not only them but the equipment around them, employees see a railfan standin next to the tracks trying to grab a picture of their train, they feel more safe but seeing someone run and hide into the bushes or beside a bridge would get me suspicious on what they are going to do next, quite stupid to do so if you might think. Wouldn't you feel the same way if someone ran and hid next to a bridge or in the bushes to do what when your passin by with a 15,000 ton train with SPG's or whatever not knowing what they are gonna do next?

by AmtrakFan

I ALWAYSStay on Public property while railfanning wheater it is a Platform, Sidewalk, Parking lot etc.

by flynnt

Being on RR property is a definite no-no(before or after 9/11), but just because you are on private property does not mean you are not suspiscious. There is not only the worry about someone committing an act of terrorism, but also someone planning it, which could easily happen from public property.

That said, someone on RR property(for whatever reason) is a much bigger concern than someone on public property.

by Avro Arrow

Ha ha, I bet you guys react this way because you'd feel really important

by UPRR engineer

A... ya i would feel important. I watched the President talk the other night, he warned us not to become lax. I would like to help in the war against terror. So yes i would would feel important. Train service people are the railroads eyes on the rail, thats why they ask us to be on the look out.

by UPMW2000

I have to chime in here, I am in total agreement with UPRRengineer, I recently promoted to track supervisor/inspector and by nature of my duties I spend a lot of time alone, sometimes in the middle of B.F.E. if I see someone with a camera I'm fine with that, a couple of times I have asked people to move further away from the track, but when I see someone who tries to hide, or who flees when they see me I get real nervous especially if they're near a bridge or other important structure . I call the dispatcher, and local authorities whenever I see someone acting suspiciously near our tracks, I have had several people arrested for trespassing, and I'm not alone as every day I hear train crews calling in reporting trespassers to the dispatcher, as for Avro Arrow and his "chill out" like I mentioned earlier I'm alone most of the time and can't afford not to be cautious, as for the train crews, most of them I know have had rocks or bottles thrown at them, people placing items on the track in front of them and so on, one engineer I know was shot at once, so they are not out of line in being suspicious of people near the ROW, and as far as feeling important, the railroad puts out bulletins all the time asking us to be vigilant and report trespassers and suspicious activity on or near railroad property, so yes we are pretty important

by Avro Arrow

what a bunch of [self-important] upstanding citizens! your country salutes you!

by thebigc

Avro Arrow wrote:what a bunch of [self-important] upstanding citizens! your country salutes you!
Are you about to break into your speech about your God-given right to trespass on RR property and take pictures of trains?

Let me just say this: If I see people trespassing, especially in a sensitive area on my carrier's property, camera or no camera and buff attire notwithstanding the DS is going to hear from me. And then you're going to hear from NJT's finest.

And, to echo some other posters, as per the TARR training I've received, terrorists thrive and rely on complacency.

Call me overzealous but our Hoboken Terminal once stood in the shadow of the Towers.

by Avro Arrow

thebigc wrote:Are you about to break into your speech about your God-given right to trespass on RR property and take pictures of trains?
I'm an employee. At what point did I even suggest trespassing was okay?

The correct answer is that I didn't and just like everyone else in this thread you're all trying to look awesome or good or someone. Beats me who, but listening to you carry sounds like this: OMG I WOULD SOOOOO REPORT A TERRIST AND SAVE COUNTRY NEVER FORGET" etc. etc. Who do you think you're impressing someone by saying all this? This is a rail employee feel-good thread, and is hilariously pitiful.
Call me overzealous but our Hoboken Terminal once stood in the shadow of the Towers.
ImageWould you settle for me calling you nonsensical?

by limejuice

Avro Arrow wrote:I'm an employee.
Employee of what?
Avro Arrow wrote:The correct answer is that I didn't and just like everyone else in this thread you're all trying to look awesome or good or someone. Beats me who, but listening to you carry sounds like this: OMG I WOULD SOOOOO REPORT A TERRIST AND SAVE COUNTRY NEVER FORGET" etc. etc. Who do you think you're impressing someone by saying all this? This is a rail employee feel-good thread, and is hilariously pitiful.
Where are you getting this from? The guy just offered a friendly warning, ok? I know that in your mind, it's still 9/10/2001, and that's fine. Why do you have to be a jerk to someone offering a reasonable warning? It doesn't seem to me that he wrote it with the intention of projecting himself as a tough guy, he's looking out for your best interest. You apparently haven't experienced what it's like to be in the cab of a locomotive when there are people close to the right-of-way, and you are unable to determine what they're doing. It's not fun.

by Avro Arrow

limejuice wrote:Employee of what?
TAKE ONE GUESS.
Where are you getting this from? The guy just offered a friendly warning, ok? I know that in your mind, it's still 9/10/2001, and that's fine.
Shut up about 9/11 for once.
Why do you have to be a jerk to someone offering a reasonable warning? It doesn't seem to me that he wrote it with the intention of projecting himself as a tough guy, he's looking out for your best interest. You apparently haven't experienced what it's like to be in the cab of a locomotive when there are people close to the right-of-way, and you are unable to determine what they're doing. It's not fun.
Actually, I have. If you didn't guess correctly above, I'm a trainman.