Railroad Forums 

• Hiding railfans and our job to turn you in

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#126335  by route_rock

Grins wow did I get old boys dander up! K I dont eat cookies I will take a Strawberry Newton cause a cookie is just a cookie but a Newton is fruit and cake :-D So anyhow back at the ranch to explain to you why I posted what i did it was simply this: warning others that you were childish ( obviously didnt need to it was easy to read)
Now great thread good stories good advice. Plus its required of T&E and anyone else on the railroad to look out for UA people on RR property. Look it up its in your GCOR.

#126349  by UPRR engineer

I wouldnt turn anyone in for being on the property... if they were just taking pictures and watching from a safe distance.

In the summer time you can sometimes see a nice family standing trackside in front of the depot which doesnt bother any of us, now being on the road next to the yard.. Ahh not a good place to be. Ive told many people who i've seen driving slow behind the depot that there more than welcome to park and come and have a look at the other side and watch the trains blast off. Alot of you guys dont know that, as long as you stay a safe distance away, its perfectly fine. I doubt anyone will tell you to leave.

Should we talk about hobo hunting now? lol
 #126405  by Robert Paniagua

MODERATOUR'S NOTICE:

Allright gents,

Just telling you all to keep this conversation nice and civil, let's not even started to get heated especially in this post 9/11/01 railfanning era, which has been pretty much going against railfans, but I've had few problems myself other than the WMATA METRO encounter 3.5 years ago.

#126477  by AMoreira81

ACLfan wrote:The events of recent times have resulted in changed attitudes about anyone who is around railroad tracks, regardless of what they are doing (or seem to be doing).

Railroaders have been warned repeatedly to be careful and suspicious of anyone and everyone on or near railroad property. That's unfortunate, but understandable in terms of the potential "terrorist" strikes, or the stupid pranks that are played by idiots.

Railfanning, more than ever, requires the abundant use of common sense. Unfortunately, it appears that some "railfans" just don't get it!
Oh well, a person either knows how to use common sense, or they don't! -- And, there is not much the rest of us can do about it! Too bad!!

Some stupid moves by a "railfan" can ruin it for the rest of us!

ACLfan
If they do not get it, they are not railfans at all. That is an ABSOLUTE DISGRACE to railfans who are seeking to take pictures.

As much as I want to get railroad pictures, I understand this See Something Say Something initiative under TransitWatch. However, when I was standing on public property right behind the gate in Peekskill, I had no problem snapping pictures of Genesis locomotives (except the engine on Metro-North train 859, and that was only because my camera cannot take pics of trains moving that fast.) I did establish my position before the train left the station, so as to not appear sneaky, and stayed there until the gates went back up.

The only time I ever have "trespassed" to get pics has been in Waterbury, when I walked into the unused yard to take pictures of the train I was just on (actually an SLE train with a GP38 locomotive on it).
Last edited by AMoreira81 on Fri May 13, 2005 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #126481  by GOLDEN-ARM

I personally have no beef with anyone on RR property, anywhere, as long as they respect my need to have a "safe distance" between myself, and that person. Most people on the job recognize a buff, foamer or whatever, and let it slide, as long as thay are not getting in the way. Hell, find me in the cab, act like a decent person, and I'll let you come up and ride (conductor willing, of course). As far as vandals, etc., I will "dump & jump", and chase you down, and hand you over to the bulls, or locals, if you are trying to interfere with my working safely. As a bit of a "fan" myself , I will even stop a train, to get that great shot, on a certain curve, bridge, beside a tower, station...whatever, as long as I am not holding up traffic excessively. The smart people out there will use their heads, and the stupid ones will just ruin it for the rest. Be courteous, keep your distance and enjoy what has to be, for some of us, the best darn job in the world :-D

#126645  by steam371

UPRR engineer wrote:
steam371 wrote: And remember PARINOIA KEEPS BUSH AND CHENEY IN POWER!!!!
What is that about? Dont talk about our country. Thats like me saying NUKE CANADA. Say something like "ARM YOURSELF ALWAYS, IF YOU SEE SOME CAMEL JOCKEY'S NEAR THE TRACKS, KILL THEM.

If your gonna foam, dont run, dont hide. Simple as that.
i'll let you in on something, I'm american, last time i checked i do have freedom of speech even in the "Dubya" era. Maybe its a sign of the times, but we americans need to relax, i kinda wonder if our national uptightness (analness) got us in this boat.

#126646  by steam371

i think Shortline and golden arm and telesha said it best, its part of our job, irregardless of the current national issues

#126648  by GOLDEN-ARM

Right on, brother. Leave the politics, the B.S., and all the other stuff, for some other message board. People have been gathering to watch trains, since the first one ran, and somebody will be there to lament the passing of the last one. Those "on the job" know what to do, and when to do it. just as there are a few buffs that will ruin it for the rest, there will also be some "self appointed rail gestapo" types, that will be on the radio, or cell phone, crying wolf over every rustle in the bushes. There is good, and bad, on both sides of the lens (or cab) so just try to be one of the good guys, and the "other" good guys will give you your respect. (And maybe a cab ride, too!) Save the "politikin' fer politishuns"... regards :wink:

#126675  by AMoreira81

Amen!

However, I feel insulted as a railfan when someone says a few railfans ruin it for everyone else, because they are NOT RAILFANS! Rather, the word I would like to say describes them best is something I cannot repeat on this board.

#126692  by GOLDEN-ARM

I will also agree with you. Some of those guys working on the job, that I eluded to probably would be happier, working as officers, or detectives, or some other type of job along those lines. They too are responsible for giving us all a"black-eye", on some properties I have worked on. I always felt (hoped) that a railfan was like a roving set of eyes, that would also know what looked right, or wrong, and could make a call, and get something handled, that he knew was not right. I consider myself fortunate to have worked the career I have worked, so far, and I understand the need for those who can't do this, to want to see it, and photograph it, collect it, etc.... I work this lifestyle, photo it, model it and collect it, myself. I certainly wouldn't want to interfere with your rights to enjoy what we are doing, as long as it is being done safely. (As s sideline, you will get a lot less attention, when "gerfing", if you wear the clothes of the job. No shorts, bathing suits, sneakers, etc. Try jeans, t-shirt and some boots, and you will certainly draw a whole lot less attention, than the guy with a tank top, shorts and sandals. just a thought....) Regards....

#126700  by UPRR engineer

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:YOU WILL GET A LOT LESS ATTENTION, WHEN "GERFING", IF YOU WEAR THE CLOTHES OF THE JOB. NO SHORTS, BATHING SUITS, SNEAKERS, ETC. TRY JEANS, T-SHIRT AND SOME BOOTS, AND YOU WILL CERTAINLY DRAW A WHOLE LOT LESS ATTENTION, THAN THE GUY WITH A TANK TOP, SHORTS AND SANDALS. JUST A THOUGHT....) REGARDS....
Ya think? If i saw a guy in shorts and a tank top with flip flops on.... what harm could he do? Jeans T-shirt and boots on.... id think he was a rider.

#126703  by Avro Arrow

steam371 wrote:i think Shortline and golden arm and telesha said it best, its part of our job, irregardless of the current national issues
Irregardless is not a word.

#126708  by GOLDEN-ARM

Riders never really bothered me. Working the UPRR from Brownsville, to Kingsville, I carried "riders" every trip I made, with no assistance available from the locals, or the border patrol. I will try to get a rider, if I know one wants to ride, and put him in the last unit, with the warning not to touch anything. The peace of mind is better, than wondering about him riding in the "blind" of some car, or inside somewhere. The ones we carried from Brownsville had been trained (by coyotes, I suspect) in the art of turning the air, or pulling a pin, when they wanted to get off the train. I always found it easier to get them on the head-end, or ask them where they were going, so we didn't have to go looking for those closed angle-cocks, or putting the train back together again. They were always gratefull for the ride inside, and we usually shared our grub with them, and gave them water, when they departed. A guy withn sandals, in my mind, is unaware of the dangers to his person, from foot/leg injuries. If he is oblivious to the reason we wear long pants, and boots, (no, not because the carrier demands it :wink: ), then how safe do you think he will be, wandering about on the property. Just my thoughts......

#126713  by LCJ

Avro Arrow wrote:Irregardless is not a word.
It is too.

[u]Webster's Collegiate Dictionary [/u]-- page 619 wrote:Irregardless originated in dialectacal American speech in the early 20th Century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.
 #126717  by GOLDEN-ARM

Yep, I'm with you, Mr. LCJ. My dictionary states it has been an accepted word, since at least 1927. (Thought to be originally the combination of irrespective and regardless) some people only want to "burn", and never try to learn...... :P