Railroad Forums 

• Hiding railfans and our job to turn you in

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#123214  by jg greenwood

Two examples of why we are uneasy anytime anyone is within "firing range" of our trains:
While approaching the P&L yards at Paducah, my condr. and I noticed this group of teenage "miscreants" adjacent to the tracks. One was observed placing something on the rail, then continuing on his merry way, barely off the tracks. Closer observation revealed a small fire extinguisher as the object this idiot left on the rail. Needless to say, the vibration resulted in the fire extinguisher falling off the rail long before we had a chance to possibly create a small missile by striking it. These same idiots continued to stroll nonchalantly along. The condr. looked back while we passed and told me we cleared them by only inches. Had we have hit one of these kids their parents couldn't have sued fast enough!
On our return trip to E. St. Louis at a road crossing south of Coulterville, IL., a little ba$tard fired an egg at us hitting the conductors front windshield. Now, had said weasel hit the engineers side, I would have been temporarily blinded. Clearing this mess required the condr. going out the front door, while moving, climbing up the ladder on the front of the engine,(UP6533) and using the wipers and bottled water to remove this mess.
We have every reason to view anyone, within "firing range," with suspicion!

#123240  by emd_SD_60

jg greenwood wrote:On our return trip to E. St. Louis at a road crossing south of Coulterville, IL., a little ba$tard fired an egg at us hitting the conductors front windshield. Now, had said weasel hit the engineers side, I would have been temporarily blinded. Clearing this mess required the condr. going out the front door, while moving, climbing up the ladder on the front of the engine,(UP6533) and using the wipers and bottled water to remove this mess.
I bet that was no fun for the condctor, climbing onto the nose, especially while moving! I see it was an AC4400, especially more unsafe!

Thankfully I am not into that kind of childish stuff, I just videotape the trains and that's it! Although I will let you in on a secret, last summer I taped a quarter to the rail, I must have had it down good, because the thing ended up being flattened by the whole train (120+cars)! Basically became a thin piece of metal. :P Unfortunately I didn't have any more luck with coins afterwards, so I have since stopped it. :wink:

#123497  by thebigc

Avro Arrow wrote:
Call me overzealous but our Hoboken Terminal once stood in the shadow of the Towers.
ImageWould you settle for me calling you nonsensical?
Actually no. Could you expand on that? Am I nonsensical because my carrier demands us to be vigilant and we try to be?

I don't know who you work for but you obviously haven't attended the same terror awareness class I have.

#123543  by Avro Arrow

thebigc wrote:Actually no.
That's too bad.

#123594  by thebigc

Avro Arrow wrote:That's too bad.
I was hoping for an intelligent response. Oh well...

#123610  by Avro Arrow

thebigc wrote:
Avro Arrow wrote:That's too bad.
I was hoping for an intelligent response. Oh well...
oh man Image

#123662  by route_rock

I agree vigilance is the key. Nothing wrong with what is being posted guys all good stories and good advice to railfans and fellow REAL train and engine service guys. Avro reminds me of a young kid lurking on line ( ill take the under on this one for age :P ) dont let him get you ticked off he obviously likes to do this (which I for one must say he isnt very good)

#123712  by Avro Arrow

route_rock wrote:I agree vigilance is the key. Nothing wrong with what is being posted guys all good stories and good advice to railfans and fellow REAL train and engine service guys.
Wow you're saying the same meaningless junk everyone else is saying good for you have a cookie sir!
Avro reminds me of a young kid lurking on line ( ill take the under on this one for age :P ) dont let him get you ticked off he obviously likes to do this (which I for one must say he isnt very good)
Obviously I am that good otherwise you wouldn't mention it.

#125704  by shortlinerailroader

When we get our GTBs from BNSF, it is always written to be on the lookout for suspicious people/activity around the RR. Videoing and taking pics is fine (I want to be in there), but it would make me uneasy if there is someone running under a bridge or taking cover in some other way. Perhaps he is embarrassed to be a railfan, or maybe he wants to do harm. I don't know, because he is running away. The RR says be vigilent--so thats what we do.

Man those Vonage commercials are funny!

#125769  by Urban D Kaye

Quite a spirited discussion... I'll just add a few snippets from my experience...

Following a 22-year absence from the hobby, I returned to railfanning and rail photography in October 2001. Some would call that bad timing.

Last year I was photographing local freights (from public land), and when the lead loco went by, one of the crew was out on the front porch photographing me as I photographed him. I wondered if he collects pix of railfans...or maybe I have an FBI file that I don't know about.

Putting aside terrorism for a moment, there are still lots of careless people, idiots, pranksters, and would-be suicides to be found along the nation's ROWs. So I understand the uneasiness felt by any railroad crew when they spot an unauthorized visitor trackside. That said, when I'm trackside, I'm in clear view and give a wave to the crew... and they probably say the same thing that train crews said about me when I was a kid... "there's that nut again." But most times they return the wave anyway.

The only way to win a war on terror is to live without fear.

-Urban

#126078  by O-6-O

IMHO Avro Arrow represents a very small percentage of the railfan com-
munity. That small percentage thats makes me not want to be a fan.
I support the railroads,railroaders and the tough job they have. People
like him ruin it for all of us. To you railroaders out there,please don't give
up on the rest of us.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--~-oo--oo-

#126237  by steam371

Its everyones job to pay attention to whats going on the tracks, Irregardless if you're an engineer, conductor or trainman. Most of us i would hope can tell the difference between a van full of terrorista's and some shmucks with camera's.
And remember PARINOIA KEEPS BUSH AND CHENEY IN POWER!!!!

#126246  by UPRR engineer

steam371 wrote: And remember PARINOIA KEEPS BUSH AND CHENEY IN POWER!!!!
What is that about? Dont talk about our country. Thats like me saying NUKE CANADA. Say something like "ARM YOURSELF ALWAYS, IF YOU SEE SOME CAMEL JOCKEY'S NEAR THE TRACKS, KILL THEM.

If your gonna foam, dont run, dont hide. Simple as that.

#126305  by AmtrakFan

Mr. Greenwood,
Don't worry I only take Photos not egg trains, put things on the rails etc.

#126322  by ACLfan

The events of recent times have resulted in changed attitudes about anyone who is around railroad tracks, regardless of what they are doing (or seem to be doing).

Railroaders have been warned repeatedly to be careful and suspicious of anyone and everyone on or near railroad property. That's unfortunate, but understandable in terms of the potential "terrorist" strikes, or the stupid pranks that are played by idiots.

Railfanning, more than ever, requires the abundant use of common sense. Unfortunately, it appears that some "railfans" just don't get it!
Oh well, a person either knows how to use common sense, or they don't! -- And, there is not much the rest of us can do about it! Too bad!!

Some stupid moves by a "railfan" can ruin it for the rest of us!

ACLfan