Railroad Forums 

• Jobs based out of Pine Aire?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #706693  by RPM2Night

I was through there a few weeks back and still nothing. I doubt the west switch will be restored anytime soon, the crossover from 2 track to 1 track was yanked out a few weeks ago.
 #710408  by LRail

Will the crossover be reinstalled? Or is it gone forever? What about the switch too? -Lee
 #713012  by The Tenth Legion

Because of all this, if, by chance, NYA has a 40- or 50-car train to go west, it first has to be pushed out of the siding east? When I pass over the siding in the evening on the N/B Sagtikos, there are almost always locomotives on the west end of the trains parked in the siding, which leads me to believe they first push them east to then go west. Are there any crossings that get tied up for long periods of time as a result? Thanks.
 #713341  by jayrmli

The crossover that was removed was rarely used. It would be much easier to use the interlocking at JS and let the block operator throw the switches.

For awhile, an FRA inspector was hot on freight crews using this crossover when returning from Southern Container. He claimed it caused a malfunction at the crossing west of the interlocking (Commack Road) because the gates would go down, then up without a train passing. However, when using the crossover, the gates would be down for a tremendously long time at Executive Drive, and once the train cleared the crossing, they would go up, then down again without a train passing it again. Many angry horns and hand gestures were made at the crews during that time. :-D

There are crossings at both the east and west end of the Pineaire siding. There really is no way to bring a long train out of there without having crossing gates affected.

Jay
 #716622  by The Tenth Legion

The long cut of loaded stone hoppers and mixed freight that has been spotted on the siding for the past several days is still there, as of this evening around 6:40 when I passed over on the N/B Sagtikos Pkwy. I thought it all would've been moved out today. Is there something wrong with switch at the east end of the siding? Thanks.
 #718403  by The Tenth Legion

There was a long train of loaded C&D gondolas and other rolling stock with at least one MP-15ac on the west end of the train on the Pine Aire siding, east of the Sagtikos Pkwy overpass, when I passed over at 6:40 pm Saturday evening. When is this train heading west? I guess it'll have to push east first to get out of the siding due to the broke-dick repair process for the switch at the west end of the siding??? With all these "stimulus" bucks floating around, you'd think the LIRR or NYA would get some to fix the west switch of this siding. What a broke-dick way to do things, leaving that switch busted-up, rather than fixing it......