Railroad Forums 

• Jobs based out of Pine Aire?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#427858  by Spartan Phalanx

When I passed over N/B on the Sagtikos Pkwy. todat around 1645, there was a monster amount of cars on the siding, I assume waiting to go back west after the afternoon/early-evening rush?

#431030  by Spartan Phalanx

Another monster waiting to head west tonight at Pine-aire when I passed over N/B on the Sagtikos Pkwy. around 1840. Was this the same train I saw this morning around 0840 with the power a few boxcar-lengths west of the Sagtikos overpass and the rest of the train stretching off to the east on the siding as far as the eye could see? When will this train run west?

#438632  by Spartan Phalanx

Has the train that was marooned in Pine-Aire east of the Sagtikos Pkwy. overpass over the weekend due to the trackwork in Mineola finally made it out?
 #438912  by SwitchMonkey

The next westbound 08/27/07 will be a monstrous 47 cars with trash on the ash.

I can hear the plaintiff whimpers of 204 from here, "help".

#440831  by SwitchMonkey

FYI, the LIRR panicked and killed that monster, with the help of the march of the oompa loompas. There was no return trip for the RS-50 that night.

#441147  by tushykushy

Are people quickly forgetting the monster freights LIRR ran years ago? All of a sudden 40 car freights are becoming panic attacks... wow.

#441265  by Scrap em Again

Yes I hate to say it but they really are. Most of the dispatchers, if not all from the heyday are retired. The new generation of dispatcher comes from a machine produced, cookie cutter type of training. Really not their fault but that is the reality. Any freight to them is a obstruction, because they are trained that, regardless of it being a 5 car dink or a 50 car line-hauler. They are just skeptical. It takes a long time to win over a dispatcher. If he trusts you and likes you he might let you run a 50 car train in a slot of your choice. Screw him once, you know the rest..........

#441320  by Fla East Coast Chris

OK OK OK You win T I'll give you high greens through Patchogue!!! No more Schoolhouse track you win you win!!!!
PLease do not beat me up!!!! I still like you!!!!

#441325  by jayrmli

It's the same as its been for years. To move a train over the mainline depends on a couple of things:

1) The conductor calling to make the move (and how much experience and/or intelligence he or she projects while on the phone with the dispatcher)

2) The dispatcher who will either allow the move or not allow the move (and how much experience and/or trust he or she has or wishes to place with above mentioned conductor).

If you're a regular conductor on a particular job, and call a dispatcher that you've moved trains successfully with before (without incident), chances are the train will move. Especially if you phrase it something like this:

"I'd like to come out after 2065 with 40 cars and head west to Fresh Pond. Just in case I don't make it to Farm in time, I'd like to wait at JS for the eastbound to come over. 40 cars will fit between JS and the Executive Drive crossing."

Now, your chances are less likely if you call the dispatcher and say the following:

"I'm looking to go west to Fresh Pond with 40 cars. When do you think you can handle me?"

This isn't a LIRR thing. This happens on just about any mainline railroad. It's all about trust. Trust is earned, not awarded when you pass your PC exam.

Jay

#441559  by Scrap em Again

I knew you would see things my way FEC LOL!!

And Jay, condr. " I need to follow that westbound to pond guy"

dspr. " How many cars you got"

condr. "I dont know guy, whats the diffrence?!?!?"

dspr. " We will see what can be done"

condr to engr. "WTF guy?!?!?!?"

#441672  by jayrmli

I rest my case (Guy). :wink:

You must be up to 2 packs a day working with that Guy!

Jay

#442090  by krispy

Big difference is not having the Union Hall switches. It made it much easier when we could put something down ML 1 east if we had to, and just worry about getting the freight a clear shot from Bellerose to Divide. It's tougher with the two tracks now and calculating the "shot" from Hall to Divide which gets you the usual "follow the Ronky".

In the bad old days there wasn't much heed paid to who was on the freight until they got to Divide, but some misconceptions did arise from time to time. A favorite was the "rule of Jay", or "if his name begins with Jay, go with him" and once this was known, getting a call with a thick russian accent saying "This is Jay and if you give me the railroad, I run like fire!" I try to avoid going out east if I have to, but now everyone tries to get the freight thru the best they can, without risking getting an unpaid vacation...
 #442179  by freightguy

You should of heard the "Mad Russian" try to pronounce Valley Tower. Apparently Eastern Europeans or Ruskis have a hard time with it. Alot of mocking on the radio after getting return A-Card from Baisley. He called me the "Admiral"...I like Dukin Doughnuts as does the rest of the TCU! :P

#442190  by mutz155

ITS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE WITH THE RUSKIE THAT VALLEY CAME ACROSS AS WALLY. I NEVER REALLY KNEW A WALLY BUT WE GOT THERE ANYWAY. OKAY GUY. "I AINT GOING WHERE THERE WITH ANY........"