Railroad Forums 

• Jobs based out of Pine Aire?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #209490  by john galt

It seems the amount of cars for customers on the pine aire spur has significantly dropped in the past two months or so. is there a reason for the decline?

#209554  by Steel Wheel

I sure did treasure my time spent working in the building right next to the spur back in the early 90's. First of all the train was there to meet me in the morning idling away from a long night sleep. It was a great to watch the guys come across the tracks in the morning and give it some throttle; the smoke was a site to see so early. Sometimes the engines would run out of diesel and they would have to call a local company to come fill them up. There were quite a few nice derailments also at that spot. They sure were not shy as to bang them around a bit. The spur ran right into out building but I only remember seeing them inside around 2 or three times. When the trains were rolling the windows shook, my boss must of thought I was nuts but I just had to look. It was a sad day when LIRR gave up the freight service , as I remember the guys had tied black balloons to the head engine. I remember them with video cameras on their last day; sure would love to see the video. This was all in a time before digital cameras or else I would have taken more photos but here are two that I did take from the window......

#209568  by Nova55

Nice photos! got anymore?

#209603  by jayrmli

The amount of freight cars at Pineaire has not decreased. In fact, it is about to increase significantly. There is a new customer in the back, Emjay Environmental, which is now shipping Construction & Demolition debris out in huge woodship cars. ELM trucking is busy as always, and you may see the day freight crew switching even longer in the mornings to handle the increased carloads. In fact, they may wind up being there all day!

Jay
 #210182  by john galt

another question:
i remember seeing a line of red and green hoppers (bn/bnsf/atsf) around pine aire for the past few years. who was the customer that got them and what did they carry. i might have just missed them but did NYA get them this year?

#210644  by mainline

The hoppers cars for the YA Team Track. Bentonite was offloaded to the Brookhaven Town Landfill. Every two years it seems a new cell is added and has to been lined with Bentonite.

#211272  by Steel Wheel

Nova55 wrote:Nice photos! got anymore?
I am sure I do but but where they are now it would take some time to find them. If I find them I will scan and post them for you.

#360604  by Spartan Phalanx

Any action out there this weekend?

#363524  by rb

Steel Wheel--

FYI the pix links are broken, maybe temporarily. Would love to see them and will check back.

rb

#364155  by b&p rupture

rb-

those "broken links" are a year old, check the date (jan 06)
an old thread was revived. Hopefully, steel wheel will respond though.

#364651  by rb

What year is it again???

#368230  by Spartan Phalanx

Taking a detour off the S/B Sagtikos Pkwy. at Pine Aire Drive, I found my way west to L.I. Ave. and then Commack Road. As I crossed the Main Line at Commack Rd., looking to my right at the crossing I noticed a spur right there, going off behind P.C. Richard. I did'nt notice any cars spotted on the portion of the spur I could see. Is this spur an active one? If so, what types of cars does it receive and how often is it served? Thanks.

#368248  by bat@grumman

The switch off the main to PC Richards was just repaired a few months ago. But the track into the yard was still broken last time I looked. So, no cars going in there until some upgrades are done.

#368296  by Sir Ray

Spartan Phalanx wrote:Taking a detour off the S/B Sagtikos Pkwy. at Pine Aire Drive, I found my way west to L.I. Ave. and then Commack Road. As I crossed the Main Line at Commack Rd., looking to my right at the crossing I noticed a spur right there, going off behind P.C. Richard. I did'nt notice any cars spotted on the portion of the spur I could see. Is this spur an active one? If so, what types of cars does it receive and how often is it served? Thanks.
This was discussed a while back in this thread http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 9&start=30
Guess the customer would be the C&D transfer station mentioned...