Railroad Forums 

• Farewell to Fellow Contributor and Friend, Jtgshu

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1210007  by Don31

wolfboy8171981 wrote:I can't think of any other words other than this just sucks.
I agree 120%. Does anyone know what exactly happened?
 #1210011  by nick11a

Don31 wrote:
wolfboy8171981 wrote:I can't think of any other words other than this just sucks.
Nothing yet that I've heard. He had told a number of people (myself included) that he was feeling really sick on Sunday. Brandon had indicated that he was planning on going to get it checked out on Monday and that it was "scary."

I think about the great life that he had so far, and the great life that he had ahead of him; his hopes and dreams, and I could just cry.
 #1210048  by NJT4272

I've walked around all day today in a horrible haze. I found myself pondering my own mortality, as I have a few years on John.

I had a very long, strenuous work day followed by an emotional intervention of sorts for another friend in need. I got home so late that I didn't have the energy to turn on my window to the internet. I finally got my chance at 5am this morning before work, only to learn of this devastating loss.

I think I can speak for most here that if there was 'a prince among men' on Railroad.net, it was certainly John. Wise beyond his years. Dedicated to his craft. Intelligent. A peace keeper. Many times - the voice of reason. Passionate about the things that interested him. A student of NJ railroad history and a fount of that knowledge. Always able to see both sides, offer advice from both perspectives, and remain a sympathetic moderator.

I first started conversations with John when I began my stewardship and volunteer effort during my tenure in Boonton Yard for the URHS. He always had helpful, thoughtful advice, crucial warnings, particular knowledge, and even a good amount of inside information that helped me run things in Boonton in a safe and professional way that minimized friction with our landlord, NJ Transit.

We shared an interest in collectable locomotive horns, having swapped a few ideas on how to outfit a vehicle to actually operate those horns. He always had a kind word of encouragement when you accomplished something, an inquisitive question when you brought up an interesting fact, and a thorough, well-meaning answer when you needed to pick his brain on something.

I have many PM's from him, here on RR.net, that I will archive in his memory, because they were some of the most thoughtful things anyone wrote to me during my career in the rail equipment preservation business. Kinder words have never been spoken. He will remain, for me, one of the most memorable souls I encountered here.

And what speaks volumes more than I can possibly write here is the fact that I never met the man face to face, although we always said we would someday. For someone to have made that sort of mark and impression just through the written word made him something very special.

All I can do now to try and put a pleasant face on this tragic event is to imagine him looking down on all of us now, with the biggest, tastiest bowl of popcorn ever, as we remember our great friend and colleague.

I raise my glass to you , my friend. Safe journey. May all your signals be green. You will be sorely missed.
Last edited by NJT4272 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1210051  by ns3010

beanbag wrote:Joe, or anyone who can help, do you happen to recall what engine was on the very last train he ran?
I do not know what engine led 5757 that night, but I can tell you that his last time in the seat was in 7038 on his X back to Raritan from High Bridge.

nick11a wrote:I think about the great life that he had so far, and the great life that he had ahead of him; his hopes and dreams, and I could just cry.
Couldn't we all...
Last edited by ns3010 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1210078  by nick11a

All,

At the risk of upsetting people, I deleted the posts pertaining to John's arrangements. Please don't post them here as these are private arrangements for friends and family. A public forum is not the place for discussion on his arrangements. Thank you.
 #1210081  by NJT4272

nick11a wrote:All,

At the risk of upsetting people, I deleted the posts pertaining to John's arrangements. Please don't post them here as these are private arrangements for friends and family. A public forum is not the place for discussion on his arrangements. Thank you.
Sorry Nick......... been a bit overwhelmed by the whole thing and was only thinking about those who would like to pay their respects. He's certainly deserving of it.

You're right, though....
 #1210084  by nick11a

NJT4272 wrote:

Sorry Nick......... been a bit overwhelmed by the whole thing and was only thinking about those who would like to pay their respects. He's certainly deserving of it.

You're right, though....
That's all right, you meant well, I know. Thank you for your understanding.
 #1210088  by ACeInTheHole

ns3010 wrote:
beanbag wrote:Joe, or anyone who can help, do you happen to recall what engine was on the very last train he ran?
I do not know what engine led 5757 that night, but I can tell you that his last time in the seat was in 7038 on his X back to Raritan from High Bridge.

nick11a wrote:I think about the great life that he had so far, and the great life that he had ahead of him; his hopes and dreams, and I could just cry.
Couldn't we all...

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend John's services, but I know that it will be well attended, as he has many great friends, many of whom he met right here at Railroad.net, that already miss him dearly.
Thank you Joe for the information.. Srock, do you know which engine gave JT his final push down the rails on the 5757 X-turn last Wednesday night?

Its terrible when people who have so much ahead of them die young. I lost my cousin recently as well at the age of 32 to carbon monoxide poisoning, and a family friend to brain cancer. 2013 is just a terrible year.
 #1210091  by AEM7AC920

Wow what a huge shock!! Rest in peace JT, definately one of my favorite posters on this forum you will be terribly missed. My thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, and fellow railroad workers.... :(
 #1210093  by Don31

nick11a wrote:
Don31 wrote:
Nothing yet that I've heard. He had told a number of people (myself included) that he was feeling really sick on Sunday. Brandon had indicated that he was planning on going to get it checked out on Monday and that it was "scary."

I think about the great life that he had so far, and the great life that he had ahead of him; his hopes and dreams, and I could just cry.
It still hasn't sunk in yet.....And thats exactly what he told me on Saturday... in pain and "scary"

Doesn't a thing like this put everything else, especially the stupid bullshit nonsense that we see here at times, in its proper perspective? Life is way too short for stupid nonsense people.....
 #1210099  by ryanov

I actually don't know that I agree, but you're the moderator. I would have posted his obituary here, but it contains the arrangements. Anyways, locatable fairly easily on Google if someone is looking to see it.
 #1210101  by Matt Johnson

ryanov wrote:

I actually don't know that I agree, but you're the moderator. I would have posted his obituary here, but it contains the arrangements. Anyways, locatable fairly easily on Google if someone is looking to see it.
Being that I am in Hazlet visiting my parents, I had the same thought as NJT4272 about paying my respects but was unsure about whether it would be appropriate.
 #1210102  by ryanov

I don't know of anyone who wishes fewer people would attend their funeral, and I know most families seem to be gratified by how many people came out because they cared about their loved one. I've felt funny about attending services before where no one would knew who I was, but that's how it is sometimes. I suspect some people here will attend.
 #1210106  by Zeke

I knew of JT from his posts on this board when he was still a trainman. I had him as my rear brake out of NY one night many years ago and we both got around to RR.net and confided our screen names. My Uncle Lou a retired PRR/PC engineer known on RR.net as ittzal and my screen name zeke. We had a good laugh as I finally met Jtgshu face to face. JT was the type of conductor/trainman that always put an engineer at ease because of the total dedication to his job and the fact you could completely rely on him no matter the situation.

Later on I and many other engineers built up his confidence to take the plunge and try the NJT LETP course and become an engineer. I had him as my student engineer for two weeks. He had only been out running as a student for 6 weeks when I got him. Those two weeks were spent with me in the fireman's seat with my feet propped up on the door of a GP-40 and JT in the engineers seat doing everything right with very little input from me once he learned the braking points of the stations on the RVL. JT was a natural. Stuck on an engine, he would pick my brain for hours about my years working for the Penn Central and when Conrail came along running over the old CNJ and LV. Old engineers really feel that young guys the caliber of JT are just the type of guys to carry on the tradition of our craft....... sober, intelligent and careful. What a shame.

I know one thing for sure, JT considered all of you part of our Railroad family and would be mighty impressed with the outpouring of kindness and friendship found on these pages. It was a honor to know you JT and always a pleasure to work with you. Rest in Peace my friend......
 #1210113  by oknazevad

Man, this is terrible, sad news. I've been more a lurker on this forum over the years, but I always knew JT's posts (and his popcorn) were ones to read and appreciate, as his dedication to the craft was obvious and genuine, and his easy going, friendly nature was even more genuine. I never met the man, and I still feel a loss. He will be missed.