Railroad Forums 

• Farewell to Fellow Contributor and Friend, Jtgshu

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1209660  by ns3010

It is with great sadness that we learn of this morning's sudden passing of Railroad.net contrubutor and friend Jtgshu.

John was a friend to all, both those he knew personally, as well as those he did not. He was kind to everyone, putting others before himself. No matter what happened to him, he didn't complain, and helped his friends out first.

He loved his job as a NJT engineer. He did his work with pride and he did it well. He was a friend to the railfan community, always giving a wave as he rolled by, and happy to share his vast wealth of railroad knowledge with those who were willing to listen.

May John always have clear signals in the rest of his travels and watch over the railroad and railfan community. Rest in peace, buddy.
 #1209665  by blockline4180

You have to be kidding me!! What happened???

Now im extremely saddened about this!!! I have spoken to him many many times... What happened??

I'm in a state of shock!! :( :(
 #1209668  by BuddSilverliner269

Everyone, I wish I could say this was a joke but sadly it is not. Me and JT have had some legendary arguments online but we were friends offline and so when I heard of his passing this morning, my heart got extremely heavy. No one was a bigger fan of Njt then John, and he loved his job and did it well. I will miss our convos at NYP and passing him on the NEC and him making fun of me because of amtrak. Hahaha. RIP JTG you will be missed.
 #1209671  by mdamico23

Hi Everyone,

That is really sad news. John's passing seems like it happened really suddenly. Was he sick? I never knew John personally, only through this messageboard, but he seemed like a really nice guy. You could tell that he really loved what he did for a living. A true consummate professional, he gladly shared info with professional railroaders and train buffs alike. I know he was from Middletown, NJ near where I grew up. He really loved the North Jersey Coast Line and also the railroad history of Monmouth County and I learned alot about both railroad operations and the history of the railroad though his postings.

My condolences to all of his Family and Friends. And, may he rest in peace. As a previous poster has said- "may he always get clear signals in that great locomotive traveling through Heaven.."

-Mike
 #1209679  by Kaback9

mdamico23 wrote:Hi Everyone,

That is really sad news. John's passing seems like it happened really suddenly. Was he sick? I never knew John personally, only through this messageboard, but he seemed like a really nice guy. You could tell that he really loved what he did for a living. A true consummate professional, he gladly shared info with professional railroaders and train buffs alike. I know he was from Middletown, NJ near where I grew up. He really loved the North Jersey Coast Line and also the railroad history of Monmouth County and I learned alot about both railroad operations and the history of the railroad though his postings.

My condolences to all of his Family and Friends. And, may he rest in peace. As a previous poster has said- "may he always get clear signals in that great locomotive traveling through Heaven.."

-Mike
He wasn't feeling well the past few days, when I spoke to him last night he said he was pulling the plug and marking off and going to find out what was wrong. No one expected this to be the outcome. John loved anything local history or CNJ or NY&LB. He would talk to you about anything and I hope that's the way a lot of you guys (and gals) will remember him!

Joe, thanks for starting this thread...I was coming on to do it but it's a bit hard right now to come up with the words. Other than he was really like the brother I never had.

Anyway I hope everyone shares their thoughts and send their condolences to John's family. Please keep them in your prayers.

-Brandon
 #1209680  by TAMR213

Saw this myself earlier today and couldn't believe it at first. I never knew him personally, but always appreciated and respected his professionalism, love of his craft, even keeled demeanor, friendliness and willingness to lend his knowledge to others. There are not enough positive adjectives in the English Language to describe John. Even though I never knew him personally, I can't help but feel that I got to know him a little bit over the years here on rr.net and other online mediums dating back to 2001. Railroad.net and the world as a whole has truly lost one of its "greats" today...

Living next door to the NEC here in Highland Park, they have been doing tie replacement for a little while with trains blowing their horns whenever they pass. Coincidentally enough, right as I was reading the news a train passed with its horn blaring, seemingly louder then usual. Ever since then, whenever I hear a train pass I can't help but think of John, and I like to think that every Engineer is laying on their horn a bit "louder and prouder" today in his memory. Thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family, and as others have said, may he have nothing but clear signals ahead...
 #1209681  by Grump

I didn't believe it when I read the text message this morning. I still didn't believe it after talking with Jimzim66 on the phone. It still doesn't seem even real as I type this.

Whether just by reading his posts or knowing him in person, John lived and breathed the railroad and took immense pride in his job. I was privileged to have had John as my engineer and occasionally exchange railroad stories over a beer and burger. He was a gentleman first and railroader second, and will be greatly missed by all of those who he came in contact with.

Two to go, Johnny. Rest in peace.

Grump
 #1209682  by blockline4180

RIP JTG.... I never met John in person, but we had some really good conversations over AIM and here on railroad.net.....Even though we didn't agree on many issues with NJT he was very pleasant to talk with and was very knowledgeable about the railroad and the Newark Division in particular.. He also seemed to know a lot of history with regard to the NY&LB/PRR, and PC in Central, NJ... He will sorely be missed on here!! :(
 #1209685  by morris&essex4ever

Wow, I don't know what to say other than this is a shocking and painful loss :(. Although I never met JT in person, his contributions to this forum were invaluable and by all means loved his job as a locomotive engineer. Based on his posts on RR.net, he also had a great sense of humor. RIP JT we miss you.
Last edited by morris&essex4ever on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1209691  by Roadgeek Adam

Really surprising news. :(

I thought I'd make this out of respect, because it would be of his favorite railroads.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadgeek/g ... /lightbox/

We're going to miss you JT, make sure all of the trains are still chugging in heaven. Rest in peace Jt.
 #1209696  by F40

Although I have never met JT, I have gotten to know him in and around this forum over the years. From what I have gleaned, he was truly a class act on and off RR.net and his job. This news was shocking even to me. He will be greatly missed.

Prayers go to his family and loved ones.