• Farewell to Fellow Contributor and Friend, Jtgshu

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by nick11a

Not that this thread really needs this, but I've made this thread a sticky for 7 days.

I keep hoping that Jtgshu would post here. I know he would if he could...
  by ryanov

John used to post his schedule as his AIM away message, as well as other little tidbits (one thing I always found out about from him was radio station format changes, oddly enough), and there were a number of times I took his trains when the schedule worked out and chatted with him if he had time at the end of his run. Glad I got to meet him, as I really didn't get to know him until he made the switch. What a loss, and at such a young age. :(

EDIT: A Facebook friend of his posted a number of photos of him, including some running trains. I thought people would appreciate a look.
Last edited by ryanov on Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by alewifebp

Total shock reading this news. While I never met him, he was certainly one of the posters that you would actually want to meet. A font of knowledge, and was obviously very dedicated to his job. No matter how much craziness that would occur here on the forums, he always had a level head and provided a great voice of reason. He will truly be missed.
  by MattW

I also never met or interacted with him, but I am thankful for all the wonderful tidbits of real life information he gave us through these forums. Reading all these wonderful memories only makes me sadder that we never met. You will be missed. Rest In Peace.
  by ACeInTheHole

Taken from one of his last posts-
Jtgshu wrote:I love venturing into those deep dark pages where things are covered in cobwebs and long forgotten screenames and people lurk!
Johns screen name is one we will never forget. It was a shock this evening to hear of his passing. I remember reading Don's PM informing me of his passing and sitting there in stunned silence for a little while, I couldn't believe it. I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person (even though I wish I had) but I have spoken with him a few times via PM and through the boards, and he gave me the impression with his posts that he was such a swell guy. I really liked how when I had a question, I could always ask John and he would always answer it to the fullest, giving such detailed responses, never leaving me to feel like a bonehead after. I learned a lot about what I know railroadwise from his deeply informative posts and it is unfortunate one of the greats in the Railroad.net community had to be taken from us so suddenly. His informative posts and cheery demeanor will surely be missed. May all your signals be clear and your trains on time John, R.I.P.
Last edited by ACeInTheHole on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by trainzrok

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a guy with so much passion for the job he does. Always appreciated the informative posts of his. As they say, "Only the good die young." RIP
  by ACeInTheHole

Not to run your show Nick but John did post in other boards.. I think it would be prudent to discuss with Jeff making this one global so that those members who he interacted with who dont come to the NJT boards may know of his passing. Again, not trying to run your show, just making a suggestion.
  by Defiant

I guess I would briefly reiterate what everyone has said in this thread. I never knew "Jtgshu" personally but noticed how well informed and even handed his contributions to the forum are. And that is despite the fact that I am a relatively recent member and an infrequent contributor...

I am also guessing that he was not an old man so that is why this is such a shock. I guess this event demonstrate the fragility of life and the importance of taking care of yourself and maintaining your health. Any idea what the problem was?

Anyway, my condolences to his family and May he Rest in Peace.
  by blockline4180

He would have been 35 in December...... I'm still very upset and shocked about it all!! :(
  by SecaucusJunction

Yes, prayers go out to the family and friends who he had made an impact on.

I would suspect that we didn't always agree on things pertaining with the railroads, but I knew he was a person whose opinion I respected.
  by acelaphillies

My prayers go out to the family, friends, and coworkers of Jtgshu.

I was very sad this morning when I woke up and read the news. Although I did not know him personally, he would always gladly answer questions and give clarification to anyone that asked, which shows how he was always willing to help out others. He was certainly one of the best members on this forum and he was always nice to everyone. He will definitely be missed here and by many others. Once again, my prayers will definitely be extended to all of those affected by his passing.
  by ryanov

beanbag wrote:Not to run your show Nick but John did post in other boards.. I think it would be prudent to discuss with Jeff making this one global so that those members who he interacted with who dont come to the NJT boards may know of his passing. Again, not trying to run your show, just making a suggestion.
I'm in agreement. Looking at his posting history, he was a frequent contributor to at least New Jersey Railfan and others. I know I've seen his posts on the Amtrak forum too.
  by ACeInTheHole

Jtgshu wrote:Its a shame health issues are making him retire, as he would have kept working.....

Best of luck Bookie and may all your signals be clear!!!!
Another one of his posts just before he passed on... The irony of this statement is quite tragic, as we all know if not for whatever health issues befell John he wouldnt just be working, he would still be here with us. R.I.P.

Joe, or anyone who can help, do you happen to recall what engine was on the very last train he ran? We should call that engine the honorary JT engine and every time it passes you, give a salute or say a prayer in his memory, honor his spirit, because we all know he loved his job so much. Then report the sighting here with a few words in good taste.. For example- "saw XXXX today, hope youre doing well John." I think it would be a fitting tribute to him.