Railroad Forums 

• NS F-units and OCS in New York State - 8/22-25

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#963439  by Railroaded

Jr's videos and my photos could have been a lot nicer, but like I said, all of a sudden it got REAL windy, dark, and then rainy. I'm tellin' you it's weird. This happened to us last summer at Lake Ave. with the same NS OCS train, and then again in Jamestown 2 weeks ago with that PRR E-8 passenger train. With heavy downpours & lightening flying everywhere, I was starting to question my sanity just for standing there...

The trains looked awesome anyway, regardless of the photo quality, it was really nice just to see them go through town.....and then run for the shelter of my truck as they passed by...
Last edited by Railroaded on Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #963475  by Mike Stellpflug

Here we go. Don't have a fast lens on the DSLR and had to use ISO 800, so quality isn't the best. It was still fun to chase even in the gloomy weather.
Thanks to K4 for all his efforts.

At Attica:

Flying thru Silver Springs:

Still moving slow along Rt. 438 just East of Portage Bridge:

In the flats just North of Arkport:

Hope for better weather and scheduling on Wednesday.
 #963504  by Mike Stellpflug

Railroaded wrote:Wow, that second shot is great! If you don't mind me asking', what camera & what exact settings did you use for those? Thanks.
Nikon D3000
DSLR settings were bad = ISO800 at 1/100 @ f5.6 with a zoom lens.

The train was really moving, except at Portageville where they were just starting to accelerate after crossing the bridge.
Last edited by Mike Stellpflug on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #963528  by scottychaos

Thanks for the pics and videos! :)
its interesting that the two A-units are facing in the same direction!
I wonder how that happened? and why?
and will one of them be turned somewhere before the "real" tour begins?

Scot
 #963533  by K4Pacific

For Scott's answer to his question: "At Mohawk, 2 of the units (an A & B unit) and the sleepers (head 4 cars)
will be cut and staged on the Mohawk Switching Lead."
 #963539  by Mike Stellpflug

Railroaded wrote:For the head on shot I'm guessing you used a tripod ? Were the side on views hand held & panned with the motion of the train? The sharpness & clarity at that low light condition is really good.
All hand held. I tried panning at Arkport, but with a 1/100 shutter speed it was not slow enough to blur the scenery very well.
Last edited by Mike Stellpflug on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.