Railroad Forums 

• NS F-units and OCS in New York State - 8/22-25

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#964564  by Otto Vondrak

I followed the train all the way from Howe's Cave to Hornell... A very good, if not long day! A little excitement when the train left Binghamton, one of the units caught fire. The Johnson City Fire Department responded quickly, and the train was able to continue on its way.

-otto-
Attachments:
Johnson City Fire Department packs up their equipment.
Johnson City Fire Department packs up their equipment.
NS_JohnsonCityNY.jpg (169.48 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
 #964668  by K4Pacific

I was right there at the fire Otto. Sorry I missed you. Amazingly it kept time all the way to Bison. Great pictures everyone.
 #964761  by Matt Langworthy

SteelRail wrote:I'd estimate it was only doing 35 to 40 mph when it passed through Owego. The freight following it was moving much faster and likely started to catch yellow blocks before Waverly. Any word on what happened as it was leaving Binghamton?
23K came through CP Cass at 5:09 PM EDT (according to the time stamp on one of my photos), so it was about 40 minutes behind the OCS.
 #964918  by Otto Vondrak

K4Pacific wrote:I was right there at the fire Otto. Sorry I missed you. Amazingly it kept time all the way to Bison. Great pictures everyone.
There were a lot of people milling about there, sorry I missed you! The officer told us where we could walk up to for photos, and we were making sure to stay out of the way of the fire department and everyone else. Looks like they were able to contain the damage and get the train moving quickly. Total stop was maybe 45 minutes?

-otto-