Railroad Forums 

• The SIRR and RVRR V

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#23189  by Angus202

This same pre-warning scheme is installed on Eisenhower(?) Parkway before the M&E crosses it at grade. There is a stiff hill and a short descent just before the tracks; going ~50MPH and having to slam on ones breaks in about 100 feet of roadway would make for many accidents. The crews cross rt. 10 & 46 with only lights - the conductor sometimes wont even get on the ground at these locations, just hang off the front of the engine with a flag and wave the engineer foward -much safer IMHO-

#23190  by rvrrhs

There's a warning sign like that west of the intersection with New Providence Rd. in Mountainside, so I suppose that would help.

As to the "speeding motorists," I'm sure those like my mother are more worried about times when it is impossible to speed. Just look at Rt. 22 westbound in Union (between the footbridge and the ex-Harrows lot) from about 10am to about 7pm any day of the week. It's bad enough already. Then again, the railroad would serve as both another break in the traffic, and as another inducement for through-traffic to take I-78.

#23193  by james1787

Ha! Yeah, the westbound side of 22 in Union certainly won't have a high speed issue at those times.. in fact, the Train might have to wait to get a clearing!! That stretch of road is a parking lot during the day. There definitely would have to be plenty of time to allow those gates to come down. Better yet, add some nice big signs at the crossing that say "DO NOT STOP ON TRACKS". Although that's common sense, there are plenty of people who lack common sense that need to be told.
 #23242  by RS115

I don't think crossing at grade will be an issue. I presume they are going to install modern crossing protection with lights and perhaps gates. The old RVRR 'protection' at this location consisted of non-RR type overhead lights that blinked upon hand activation by RR personnel (I was told they were installed by the DOT - not sure when but they were far from new at that point). They were consistently ignored. When I worked there in 79 & 80 the train crew also flagged the crossing and leaned on the horn for all it was worth. Speaking as the one who was often driving, let's say that crossing Rt 22 in the track car was more than a little exciting (it had a horn no louder than a cars and no lights other than headlights).

The new RVRR will have bigger engines (our old 70 tonners were relatively harder to see), newer protection and relatively short trains (at least initially) so the disruption to vehicle traffic should be relatively minimal.

#23301  by wis bang

rvrrhs wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "has to honor." Isn't the RVRR right of way owned by NJDOT?[/quote]

I guess that's a moot point, Once the rails are removed from the roadbed, the 'right of way' needs to be re-established...of course if the owner of the road bed also owns the railway....

#23407  by rvrrhs

My point, Trainlawyer, was that since the NJDOT "owns" the right of way for both Rt. 22 and the RVRR, I don't think there will be a dispute regarding reactivating the crossing as an at-grade crossing if NJDOT wants.

#23425  by Tri-State Tom

I definately think crossing 22 is going to be a HUGE problem and is an accident waiting to happen....

How many of us have routinely seen - or been guilty of - doing 65-70 mph in a 50-55 mph speed zone ?

Warning signs, flashing red lights and deisel horns do NOTHING to slow down today's drivers....and it's naive to think otherwise. Heck, I've seen too many ignorant clucks who both speed and are oblivious to what's going on around them - let alone ahead of them - as they either blare the radio/CD's OR have a cell phone stuck in their ear while behind the wheel.

Are there any traffic lights in this area on 22 ? The NJDOT better look into putting in BIG one at this RR crossing - IN ADDITION to the overhead RR structures with multiple flashing red warning lights and crossbucks.

And forget gates....unless you have dozens of extras on hand to replace those that 18-wheelers and SUV's will routinely destroy trying to 'beat' the train and traffic tie-ups.

#23426  by Tri-State Tom

I definately think crossing 22 is going to be a HUGE problem and is an accident waiting to happen....

How many of us have routinely seen - or been guilty of - doing 65-70 mph in a 50-55 mph speed zone ?

Warning signs, flashing red lights and deisel horns do NOTHING to slow down today's drivers....and it's naive to think otherwise. Heck, I've seen too many ignorant clucks who both speed and are oblivious to what's going on around them - let alone ahead of them - as they either blare the radio/CD's OR have a cell phone stuck in their ear while behind the wheel.

Are there any traffic lights in this area on 22 ? The NJDOT better look into putting in BIG one at this RR crossing - IN ADDITION to the overhead RR structures with multiple flashing red warning lights and crossbucks.

And forget gates....unless you have dozens of extras on hand to replace those that 18-wheelers and SUV's will routinely destroy trying to 'beat' the train and traffic tie-ups.

#23442  by rvrrhs

Sorry, Trainlawyer.

Here's a question, Wis Bang: what rails have been/will be lifted? The rails across Rt. 22 are still there, and not paved over. They may be replaced or upgraded, but that's not the same as being "lifted" and later "reestablished."
Last edited by rvrrhs on Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

#23443  by CNJFAN

I totally agree with Tri State Tom!
As much as I am excited to see the railroad get reactivated, RT#22 is going to be a problem.
The way people in NJ drive with a total lack of respect and common courtesy not to mention the lack of patience, YUP, there are problems ahead on #22!

#23444  by rvrrhs

Maybe it would actually be better if the trains cross DURING rush hour, when traffic on "22" is already at a standstill!

#23460  by cjvrr

The crossing of Route 22 will be nothing new to the M&E. They currently have two crossings for Route 10, one in Roxbury, the other in Whippany. I am not totally familiar with that area of Route 22, both both Route 10 crossings mentioned have high traffic volumes and high (40 or above) posted speed limits.

Doesn't NJT have a crossing on Route 22 east of Bridgewater? It is used to access a quarry. There was an accident there last year that was discussed on the web. At night, even with lights flashing at the crossing, the driver plowed into the side of the train. What type of crossing protection do they have there, gates, flashers?

There is a unit within NJDOT called, "Utility and Railroad Engineering" that will designate the type of protection that is be necessary for the crossing. One question, who will be paying for it? M&E, the County, or the NJDOT....

Chris

Chris

#23465  by CNJFAN

Yes they do have a crossing in Bridgewater but that is strictly for the Ballast train near Chimney Rock Road.
Yes they do run it in the middle of the day but that part of #22 pales in comparison to Springfield/Union part of it in terms of traffic.
Springfield and Union are atrocious.

#23466  by wis bang

I did not say the RVRR rails had been lifted; I do know that removing rails from a crossing is the last thing done to an abandoned RR ROW because re-installing them can be a problem.

I also agree w/ trainlawyer but I do know that rights of way must also be maintained; a reciently deceased freind of my dad did just that for the Electric utility back home. He helped my dad close a dirt road right of way making his driveway a private lane.

He always had a power co. 4x4 and had to go & just drive thru some of the utility ROW that had not been accessed during the previous 6 years.

He & dad got the farmer to plow up the road past dad's property line [the farmer wanted it closed too] and after 7 years of non-access by anyone; they went down the county courthouse & the rights were withdrawn...

#23495  by rvrrhs

The crossing near Bridgewater does not have gates. It may not even have lights (I don't remember for sure). It does have signs.

That section of Rt. 22 has much less traffic, and much faster speeds, than the segment in Union, except from about 9pm to 6am when the Union area is free of traffic.