Railroad Forums 

• The SIRR and RVRR V

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#19203  by Tri-State Tom

Yunno, it would be great if someone could periodically post some 'in progress' or 'before & after' photos on this project.

#19208  by rvrrhs

Tri-State Tom wrote:Yunno, it would be great if someone could periodically post some 'in progress' or 'before & after' photos on this project.
See earlier pages of this topic. ChooChooHead2 and roc have posted various photos, including from the NIMBY's "stopthetrain.org" Web site.

For more "before" photos (mostly locos but some track/stations/etc.), check out Steve Lynch's RVRR Web site at http://www.trainsarefun.com/rvrr/rvrr.htm.
 #19423  by mikec

It seems they have been working between encrochments. I was only busting about the location "Aldene". Really in recent years the last fifty or so. The RV only connects to Cranford Junction not Aldene. The 1st Aldene station was futher east near the LV overpass. Then the Rahway Valley connection swung east. Now it swings west The 2nd Aldene station was on the site of the Sun Taven.

#19816  by mikec

I don't know if that is true. I always thought that belonged to the CNJ it was there years after passager service ended on the RV

#19831  by rvrrhs

Well, the RV station in Springfield (see my avatar) is still there, and passenger service on the RV ended in 1919.

Don Maxton, do you have better info on the station at Aldene? I seem to have misplaced my copy of your book....

#19884  by mikec

Alan this is true about the Springfield station. But it has been used for many things over the years. The same was true for other stations on the line. But Aldene was a stop for the CNJ. The 2nd Aldene station was a twin to the CNJ Roselle/Roselle Park Station. Also Aldene station was located on CNJ property.

#19919  by AndyB

Here is something to think about.
I was on Morris Ave. today going under the RV bridge
I notice the ROW look very clean. Parked and climbed
the embankment.
New sub ballast has been put down on the
Maplewood Branch up to the Morris Ave. Bridge.

#19963  by Don Maxton

I checked out the Liberty Ave. crossing on Sunday and noted the sub ballast all along the line. Everything is starting to look ship-shape (or should that be "train-shape"?) Maybe the tracks will be coming in soon.

I wonder why the contractors haven't flattened those small pine trees planted directly on the ROW?

#19974  by rvrrhs

AndyB wrote:Here is something to think about.
I was on Morris Ave. today going under the RV bridge
I notice the ROW look very clean. Parked and climbed
the embankment.
New sub ballast has been put down on the
Maplewood Branch up to the Morris Ave. Bridge.
Is this on the Jaeger Lumber side of Morris Ave., or the CVS side?

#20073  by wis bang

Comming back from lunch yesterday I noticed RR const equipment working West of the Liberty Ave crossing. Today I drive up into 'Autum Ridge' and you could see that the washout repair, which was left all winter below grade, is now up to the grade and they have dumped & spread gravel to dry up the muddy ROW...Progress returns

#20179  by mikec

It really seems like they are working around encrochments..

#20181  by AndyB

Alan,
That is the Jager Lumber side.
And checking today, the line is freshly graded almost all the way to Liberty Ave except for the encroachment by Liberty.

#21896  by 280z

For all that want to know. I was coming back over the Gothels bridge the other day and as I always do, I took a look down at the ROW from the bridge over the Aurthor Kill. They had large cranes lifting up and off the steel girder bridges on the approach and were laying on the ground. Can anybody get down there with a camera and also have an explination?
 #22053  by ChooChooHead2

Passed by Cranford Jct yesterday, and what did I see? Several large piles of ballast! All along the old SIRR tracks, near the jct with the RVL. Could the end of work be in sight?

Does anyone know why the ties and ballast will be replaced, but not the rail?