• The SIRR and RVRR V

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by mikec

A section of fence that was encroching the ROW between faitioute and Michican aves in Kenilworth has been removed.

by RVRR Resurrected

Don't know if Plans had changed for the M&E but they were going to attempt crossing at between 12Am-3Am when traffic flow is less than when the old RVRR used to Cross 22 during business hours.

My guess is any deliveries to and from any of the businesses north of 22 in Union can be done during late hours as there is no residental areas nearby. Once south of 22 they could always park the loco for the next day.

The land where the ROW is is also pretty flat and any train crossing the tracks should be seen from each direction. Anyone doing 65MPH down that road should Def. be able to see any flashing lights let alone a train comming across the tracks. When entering the highway these trains are going to go so slow that they would be able to apply the brakes if they see some ass sprinting down the highway at an unstoppable speed...Once the train is already into the intersection at that point as I said before anyone with 2 eyes should be able to see it.

I think the pre warning system is an excellant idea. Westbound they should install one alittle before installtions unlimited and eastbound near WalMar which is about 1/4 before the stop. Having a train across 22 may ease traffic at points after the tracks. With less cars comming down the road for that 60 seconds anyone wishing to enter the highway after the row should be able to jump in from those stores and u turns.

Forget about the fools talking on their cell phones, starting this summer that will now be illegal. Dont think we'll see a train on 22 before then.

by rvrrhs

RVRR Resurrected wrote:Don't know if Plans had changed for the M&E but they were going to attempt crossing at between 12Am-3Am when traffic flow is less than when the old RVRR used to Cross 22 during business hours.

My guess is any deliveries to and from any of the businesses north of 22 in Union can be done during late hours as there is no residental areas nearby. Once south of 22 they could always park the loco for the next day.
The problems with after-midnight activity is not within Union, but in getting those trains from Union to either the LV/SIRR/RVL in Roselle/Cranford or the Morris & Essex line in Summit. Though not in Union, the rails run though residential areas of Roselle Park, Kenilworth, Springfield, and Summit. I guess that explains why Union didn't join the other towns in the lawsuit against the county and M&E RR.

by TheBaran

Those people complaining about the possible hazards associated with the RVRR Rt. 22 crossing should move their concerns a little down the road. I have driven that stretch of Rt. 22 for nearly 30 years and the traffic and hazards have increased tremendously since the Wal-Mart and Home Depot were opened on the eastbound side back in September of 2001. Westbound traffic used to be bad only on Saturday afternoons and during the rush hour. These days one would need to travel in the middle of the night to avoid the congestion. Although there are fewer back-ups, eastbound traffic has fared a lot worse with these stores. The west-bounders use the nearest center-island u-turns (especially the one near I-HOP) and then cut across the three lanes of eastbound traffic to access one of the four entrances to these stores. The safer thing would be to travel further down the road, then make a u-turn to allow more time to get to the entrances. The vast majority of the people choose the closest u-turn to cut across the eastbound lanes. I have seen many near misses. These stores should have been required to finance and construct a fly-over to allow direct access to the store parking lots.

Stick 250,000 square feet of retail space along a highway and no one raises an issue about the traffic. Run a few boxcars across the highway, and everyone goes ballistic.

by CNJFAN

I always heard that the traffic on that line is going to be very light.
If that is the case then would it really constitute a very expensive flyover on #22?
Unless the traffic will increase significantly over time.

by Angus202

I think what the baran was trying to say was the stores should have been required to construct a paved flyover for cars rather than use those damn u-turns all over 22 - even though I am guilty myself of cutting across both lanes to get to the nearest u-turns everytime I go to guitar center :wink:

-Ryan

by RVRR Resurrected

rvrrhs wrote:
RVRR Resurrected wrote:
The problems with after-midnight activity is not within Union, but in getting those trains from Union to either the LV/SIRR/RVL in Roselle/Cranford or the Morris & Essex line in Summit. Though not in Union, the rails run though residential areas of Roselle Park, Kenilworth, Springfield, and Summit. I guess that explains why Union didn't join the other towns in the lawsuit against the county and M&E RR.

Well what I meant was to have a small staging area on either side of the highway where the railroad would operate any time it wanted to and then wait until the later hours to cross across the highway. Thats just an option although not very efficient if you are the customer and want your product or supplies shipped right away. Anyway, at that point of the the highway nobody is going anywhere to begin with. 22 Is pretty much a parking lot as it is. Waiting for a train to cross for 30 seconds isnt going to hurt anyone and it would ease traffic for that short period of time on the other side of the tracks while the majority of oncomming traffic is stuck waiting for a traint o pass.

by Ken W2KB

The Route 22 crossing used to have overhead lights when active. May have been car type road traffic lights, i.e., green - amber - red types. These are often used at grade crossings on highways like 22 to avoid panic stops sometime occasioned by a RR type flasher coming on. Car drivers are more attuned to car type signals and I suspect that is what will be installed. As mentioned above, a number of the Route 22 lights have advanced red light warnings and these are likely as well.

by CNJFAN

I saw tons and piles of ballast this past Sunday in Cranford.
It looks like that track which is part of the South Ave. Crossing will be finished soon.
That is the SIRR correct?
What kind of trains will they be rinnung on there.
It connects onto Conrail's Garwood industrial track.
The industrial track is in very poor shape.
Are they looking to rehab that one too??
Where will these trains coming in on that track from Staten Island ultimately go to?
I have been told so many different and conflicting stories I don't know what to believe anymore.
Someone please enlighten me.

by ChooChooHead2

NJDOT was out at Cranford Jct. this morning, surveying the South Ave crossing and environs. Crossing improvements can't be far behind.

Also, the ballast piles are beginning to shrink. Keep your fingers crossed for good working weather this Summer!

by CNJFAN

Went by the South Avenue Crossing today and those ballast piles have indeed shrunk!
They have already put them along the track.
I thought that rail in Cranford was supposed to be replaced...
  by RVRR Resurrected

To Sum It Up..

No mention of The Stop The Train Coaltion- I am assuming they either have gave up, or they are staying silent trying to re-group and attack us harder....Or they may be so insignificant now that nobody cares.

The State is only paying for one crossing..That would be the one on rt 22 of course. The rest is being funded by the M&E and the county.

They mentioned trains would be running by later 2005. I was hoping sooner since they planned to have Phase one up and running by 2004. But better late then never I say. 2006 was noted as the finish date to summit.

The bridge over Morris near Jaeger lumber is now being pushed for replacement instead of removal. They want to add another turning lane on Morris and before the M&E started doing any track work in Union, they were planning on ripping everything out behind the CVS and on the other side of the tracks..Nice to see a change of heart.

by AndyB

Replaceing the Morris Ave. bridge? Why?
The ROW north of there has been built on with a school and new housing.

Is CVS going to get rail service?

by rvrrhs

There are several rail-ready buildings between CVS and the school, especially the commerical properties behind the Ideal Office Park, that could be future customers on the north side of Morris Ave. Several sites near there were former RVRR customers.

by njt4172

No, I heard CVS will get 1 box car weekly of film supplies and medication for the pharmeuticals division.....The employees are gonna help out by putting drive through rail service so the M&E employees can get their medicine.,..... :D :D :D :D :D