Railroad Forums 

• The SIRR and RVRR V

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#15346  by CNJFAN

I was told that there was passenger traffic from Cranford ( Even West of Cranford on the CNJ ) to Staten Island.
I believe that the service stopped either in the late 1940's or the early 1950's.
I am not 100% sure about the dates but yes there was passenger service.

#15488  by rvrrhs

Well, this reactivation of the SIRR on the north shore of S.I. by the Port Authority could be viewed as a necessary first step towards adding a second route for the commuter railroad known as SIRT (part of NYC's MTA system). They could utilize the old SIRR stations for commuter service between Howland Hook and the St. George ferry terminal.

Maybe one day, we could see some sort of passenger service from the Raritan Valley line to the SIRR and across S.I. to the ferry.

#15503  by Ken W2KB

>>>Much of the line has power wires over it on structures that look like they were used for catenary(sp?) lines<<<

Never was catenary there. The construction looks like it since the ROW was not wide enough for PSE&G to utilize conventional transmission support structures. I believe that's the PSE&G Aldene - Tosco 230,000 volt line, but I'm not certain.

#15528  by njtransitrookie

I guess those ties are toxic if you eat off them. What a waste of 50,000 dollars. YOU CANT STOP THE RAILROAD !

#15938  by cjl330

The Railroad Construction machines have begun removing the rail and ties from the Rahway Valley between Route 28 and Michigan Avenue. When I went by late this afternoon, the one machine was parked next to Faitoute Ave. in Kenilworth. It was covered with "Stop The Train" flyers, taped to it with duct tape. The organizers of the "Stop The Train" movement both live right there. I hope this doesn't get real ugly, but I have a feeling it is going to.

#15969  by NIMBYkiller

"Maybe one day, we could see some sort of passenger service from the Raritan Valley line to the SIRR and across S.I. to the ferry."

Sounds good to me.

#16002  by CNJFAN

Those people ( N.I.M.B.Y'S ) in Kenilworth have no right to tape any kind of sign on any railroad machinery.
That is private property and they are not only trespassing, but defacing private property and I hope they all get caught and arrested and charged accordingly.
Of course I hope it does not get too ugly.[/b][/i][/i]

#16014  by Pacobell73

It is so funny to look at this site:

http://www.stopthetrain.org/

Talk about lending aid and comfort to the enemy. Their site actually helps bring back the trains. Great detail, too. :P

#18695  by genesis11980

I noticed that RR Construction has cleared the right-of-way on the RV on the north side of North Ave. Also, it looks like tie replacement has reached the junction of the SIRR with the Elizabeth Industrial track/RVL at XC. I suppose it will only be a matter of time before the South Ave. crossing gets refurbished. Will any ballast for the SIRR be brought in by train? When I last looked, it seemed like lots of ties had been replaced in Roselle, but ballast was still needed in large quatities. Also, does anyone know when the RV right-of-way will be cleared through that lumber yard next to the Aldene Ramp? It looks like a lot of work will have to be done in order to reconnect the RV with the NJT tracks.

#18762  by rvrrhs

genesis11980 wrote:Also, does anyone know when the RV right-of-way will be cleared through that lumber yard next to the Aldene Ramp? It looks like a lot of work will have to be done in order to reconnect the RV with the NJT tracks.
Judging by where Railroad Construction has been working along the RV--predominantly in Union between Rt. 22, Morris Ave., and the Rahway River bridge, plus some work between North Ave. and Michigan Ave. in Roselle Park and Kenilworth-- it is possible that the North Ave. crossing will be the last thing done between Cranford (Aldene) and Springfield.

I expect that the crossing will be rebuilt before any work is done in Springfield or Summit, though, because there are several potential customers in Union and Kenilworth whose freight could be sent down to Aldene, but there are 3 or 4 bridges to reinstall/refurbish/replace before any traffic could pass through Summit onto the Morris & Essex, and there are few if any potential customers in either Springfield or Summit to serve.
 #18809  by mikec

Just a note Aldene is section of Roselle and Roselle Park. Cranford is Cranford

#18872  by CNJFAN

It may be in Roselle Park but it is literally right on the Cranford Roselle Park border.

#18900  by rvrrhs

I guess what I meant was "Cranford/Aldene" or "Cranford & Aldene," not "Cranford (Aldene)." Sorry, purists.

Besides, since the Rahway Vallay/Raritan Valley (ex-CNJ) connection is right on the border of Roselle Park and Cranford, one could argue that the end of the RV is indeed in Cranford, especially since there's at least an imaginary stretch of RV/SIRR territory (leased from NJT?) on the Raritan Valley between the two connections.

#19125  by CNJFAN

Where is the crew working now?
Has anyone seen if they have reached the old Cranford Yard yet?

#19126  by ChooChooHead2

The M&E crew has been working full tilt at Cranford Jct. this week. M&E trucks have been on site, along with most crew members and equipment that I've seen there to date. Most of the work looks to be taking place at the jct. with the RVL.