Railroad Forums 

• The SIRR and RVRR V

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#14370  by SemperFiSep11

I know of two bridges in Summit which would need to be replaced. Doing that by 2005 seems far fetched, indeed.

Hey, if they can do it, good for them.

#14371  by rvrrhs

CNJFAN wrote:From what I understand, it was owned by Union County and then the County sold it to the State of NJ. Or is it the other way around?
I meant, did these governmental agencies sell off those small parking lot segments, or in any way grant permission to build there?

#14377  by rvrrhs

SemperFiSep11 wrote:I know of two bridges in Summit which would need to be replaced. Doing that by 2005 seems far fetched, indeed.

Hey, if they can do it, good for them.
Several of the bridges in Summit have been removed but not scrapped. They are merely stored (some right on the ROW) for future reinstallation. A few weeks of sandblasting/painting/concrete repair and they'll be good to go. If any of the bridges are indeed missing (perhaps the trestle that crossed next to the Mitsubishi dealer?), well, there are companies that pre-fab such bridges in just a few months.

One example: http://www.acrowusa.com/railroad-bridges.html
See also: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/bridge/prefab/keyword.htm
Or: http://www.aashtotig.org/focus_technolo ... re+systems

Bear in mind I didn't look to deeply into specific needs of the RVRR....

#14409  by Sir Ray

Does anyone know if the Celanese facility in Summit mentioned on the "Stop The Trains" site is purely a research facility now?
If not - if it is an active manufacturing site, and if it would be a good candidate for rail service:
1.) Why was the route from NJT not maintained (Yes, like 4 bridges, but still only a short .5 mile amount of ROW) so that Celanese could be serviced in the first place.
2.) Is there plans to restore this part in Summit first, simply because of #1 (short distance to the active NJT line)

#14482  by wis bang

The Celanese site has a research facility & Admin, I was there a few years ago on a sales call. They had just split off the plastic resin as Ticona and were still shareing space at the facility. The ROW bisects the lawn and would have been a place to set up a stop but I don't thing there is that many employees to warant one.

#14497  by rvrrhs

Sir Ray wrote:2.) Is there plans to restore this part in Summit first, simply because of #1 (short distance to the active NJT line)
Based on the locations of present restoration work, Summit will be last, not first. The greatest amount of restoration work (removal of old rail/ties/ballast; prep for new rail/ties/ballast) is being done in Union in the triangle between Rt. 22, Morris Ave., and the bridge at the Rahway River. From the other side of that bridge (in Springfield) up to the Summit end, they haven't even done any brush clearing. From Rt. 22 to Aldene, there has been some progress but nowhere near as much work as in Union.

#14571  by cjvrr

rvrrhs wrote:
I meant, did these governmental agencies sell off those small parking lot segments, or in any way grant permission to build there

I seriously doubt it. Granting permission to use the right of way would require all kinds of insurance and red tape. Most likely the adjacent owners just started using the property, doubt anyone from the State or County even inspected the right of way for any reason, let alone squatters.

An outright sale of individual parcel seems unlikely too. Lots of work involved to do that, such as surveys and subdivision maps. The right of way is in long contiguous pieces where as the adjacent properties could be very small lots (50' x 100' in residential areas). If split up a separate description and map would need to be filed for each lot. And if split down the center of the right of way too each 50' lineal feet of right of way would be two new lots, one on each side. Lots of work and it would be quite expensive.

If the government agencies did decide to sell, they would have looked at selling the entire right of way to one buyer, which is much less of a headache.

Chris

#15029  by ChooChooHead2

I saw a pretty large pile of ballast this morning, near the crossing of St. George Ave and E. Baltimore Ave. in Roselle. Every little bit of progress helps, and with this weather, the pace should really pick up.

As for the return of the railyard, I haven't come across any info, but one can only hope: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=9331

#15033  by ChooChooHead2

ChooChooHead2 wrote:I saw a pretty large pile of ballast this morning, near the crossing of St. George Ave and E. Baltimore Ave. in Roselle. Every little bit of progress helps, and with this weather, the pace should really pick up.

As for the return of the railyard, I haven't come across any info, but one can only hope: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=9331

#15075  by CGRLCDR

I was checking progress on the SIRR this morning. It looks like it was double tracked and electrified at one time. Is this correct? Also was it ever used for passenger service and if so, are there any stations remaining? Are there any SIRR websites with more information?

Chuck
 #15134  by crnrailal

Today spotted 2 pieces of RAILROAD CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT PARKED ON THE NORTH SIDE OF NORTH AVE NEXT TO THE MOBIL STATION. LOOKS LIKE THEY'RE GETTING READY TO MOVE THEIR CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITIES NORTH TOWARDS ROSELLE PARK AND KENILWORTH.

#15187  by NIMBYkiller

What section of SIRR you talkin about?

I'm pretty sure the north shore line was electrified and it was definately double tracked. I think most of the stations are still remaining. Try www.forgotten-ny.com for some cool photos and info.

#15198  by CGRLCDR

NIMBYkiller
I poked around the from where the SIRR ties into the old CNJ at Cranford and followed the line about 4 miles east. Much of the line has power wires over it on structures that look like they were used for catenary(sp?) lines. The row looks wide enough to be double tracked however, I only saw two tracks in the area around Cranford. The rest of what I explored was single tracked.

Incidentally, I should have been more specific on my passenger service question. Did the SIRR have passenger service from Cranford to Staten Island?