• Sprinter ACS-64 Electric Loco: Siemens.

  • Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

  • 1450 posts
  • 1
  • 93
  • 94
  • 95
  • 96
  • 97
  by ACeInTheHole
 
nomis wrote:
beanbag wrote:Interesting. I wouldve thought theyd ship by now.
IIRC, only the testing units got released from the plant. Once the thumbs up comes, then more units will ship once known punch-list items are dealt with.
I figured that may have been the case, thanks for the confirmation nomis.
  by Fan Railer
 
Woody wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:
by Thomas » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:09 pm

I watched a Youtube video of these new locomotives. Amtrak just made a solid investment. ...
Honestly, not to steer off topic, but seriously, how old are you? Like, 12? 13?
Ouch, that had to hurt. I'm sorry.

Thomas, let me venture to explain why (I think) you got that slapdown.

Probably everyone on this thread already thought Amtrak made a solid investment, with about 90% certainty, rising with every day of more-or-less trouble-free testing. And few to none of us reached that confidence level from watching a You Tube video. Srsly.

We were all young once and we can appreciate your apparently youthful enthusiasm. And as any reporter can tell you, there's no such thing as a dumb question. When you asked "How loud is it?" we got useful answers.

But this bare and bubbly assertion was the kind of over-enthusiasm that usually appears naive or immature. And relying on just one source is always high risk, and therefore not smart.

Another sign of immaturity is that too many times you ask questions already discussed. How about reading a number of threads from the very first posting to the most recent? (That's what I try to do before adding my comments.) You'd learn a lot, many of your questions would be answered, and it wouldn't seem so much like you're blurting into a conversation among old hands when you make your next post.

Hope this helps.
^I agree with the above statement. I just want to clarify my statement by saying that it was an honest question, and I would like an honest response. Reason being that I think it would be really helpful for us all to know what kind of lens to view these questions (and threads, in other forums, ie, NJT, PATH) from this user through and how to respond more appropriately.

Back to Siemens; still hunting for that Tractive Effort Curve graph for the ACS-64 with no luck. Any help here?
  by ACeInTheHole
 
Fan Railer wrote:
Woody wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:
by Thomas » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:09 pm

I watched a Youtube video of these new locomotives. Amtrak just made a solid investment. ...
Honestly, not to steer off topic, but seriously, how old are you? Like, 12? 13?
Ouch, that had to hurt. I'm sorry.

Thomas, let me venture to explain why (I think) you got that slapdown.

Probably everyone on this thread already thought Amtrak made a solid investment, with about 90% certainty, rising with every day of more-or-less trouble-free testing. And few to none of us reached that confidence level from watching a You Tube video. Srsly.

We were all young once and we can appreciate your apparently youthful enthusiasm. And as any reporter can tell you, there's no such thing as a dumb question. When you asked "How loud is it?" we got useful answers.

But this bare and bubbly assertion was the kind of over-enthusiasm that usually appears naive or immature. And relying on just one source is always high risk, and therefore not smart.

Another sign of immaturity is that too many times you ask questions already discussed. How about reading a number of threads from the very first posting to the most recent? (That's what I try to do before adding my comments.) You'd learn a lot, many of your questions would be answered, and it wouldn't seem so much like you're blurting into a conversation among old hands when you make your next post.

Hope this helps.
^I agree with the above statement. I just want to clarify my statement by saying that it was an honest question, and I would like an honest response. Reason being that I think it would be really helpful for us all to know what kind of lens to view these questions (and threads, in other forums, ie, NJT, PATH) from this user through and how to respond more appropriately.

Back to Siemens; still hunting for that Tractive Effort Curve graph for the ACS-64 with no luck. Any help here?
Its interesting you pose that question there Fan Railer.. All too often on here we smack down immaturity without bothering to ask the age of the person involved. Half the time with an unknown poster we demolish that kind of attitude thinking that the person is an adult, when in reality he could be a kid, and we just flattened his youthful interest in the subject at hand. While us older posters may fight and fight quite frequently, a heated response directed at one of us that would be no skin off our backs could really affect a younger poster. The NJT forum in particular used to be notorious for this.
  by Tadman
 
Mod Note: Age is a fair question, it might help us in making better replies. Given that it's hard to convey tone or emotion on the internet, I don't think the person who asked is out of line.

That said, the person in question is certainly not required to reply.

I was once a kid railbuff and I'm sure I drove a few train crews nuts, even though I tried to be respectful and not ask a bunch of goofball questions. I recall a few early-1990's, late-1980's cab rides where they told me I could ride for a few miles and wound up riding all the way downtown. Those guys are long retired now, but I'm thankful they let me hang out. You learn how to restrain yourself a bit if you want to ride all the way downtown.
  by acelaphillies
 
Fan Railer wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:
by Thomas » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:09 pm

I watched a Youtube video of these new locomotives. Amtrak just made a solid investment. ...
Honestly, not to steer off topic, but seriously, how old are you? Like, 12? 13?
^I agree with the above statement. I just want to clarify my statement by saying that it was an honest question, and I would like an honest response. Reason being that I think it would be really helpful for us all to know what kind of lens to view these questions (and threads, in other forums, ie, NJT, PATH) from this user through and how to respond more appropriately.
Mr. Fan Railer, it is my personal opinion that certain things should be kept confidential on the internet. These are personal things such as address, credit card #, S.S. #, and age among others, that just do not need to be shared on the internet. The unfortunate reality is that there are, for lack of a better word, bad people out there that can and will misuse this information. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not accusing you of being one of these people. I personally believe that your intentions are good. But, you are not the only one reading this forum. Technically, this forum is open to the entire world, members or non-members. In my opinion, if the member does not have their age listed on their profile, that is probably for a reason.

Obviously, there are exceptions to this, such as people that you know on a personal level. I also like to give people the benefit of the doubt and trust them. But, you should keep in mind that with the internet you should be wary about sharing too much personal information with someone until you have actually met them in person. What is somebody going to do with your age? I don't know. There is probably not much that they can do honestly. But one thing may lead to another, so on and so forth. So sharing your age may not be a big deal after all. But, you may want to reconsider before you post any more personal info than that. Now, obviously it is Thomas' decision whether or not he wants to share his age or not, but if he chooses not to I think that we can all respect his decision.
  by ApproachMedium
 
Matt Johnson wrote:
Tadman wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:Why did Siemens design the ACS-64 with only two cabs?
Can you clarify?
I was thinking of a 3, 4, or 5 cab design for sideways and vertical movements, but Patrick explained the rationale quite well! :-D
Well with that many cabs it might as well be a Wonkavator.
  by ACeInTheHole
 
ApproachMedium wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:
Tadman wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:Why did Siemens design the ACS-64 with only two cabs?
Can you clarify?
I was thinking of a 3, 4, or 5 cab design for sideways and vertical movements, but Patrick explained the rationale quite well! :-D
Well with that many cabs it might as well be a Wonkavator.
You forgot a sixth cab for space travel.
  by ApproachMedium
 
beanbag wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:
Tadman wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:Why did Siemens design the ACS-64 with only two cabs?
Can you clarify?
I was thinking of a 3, 4, or 5 cab design for sideways and vertical movements, but Patrick explained the rationale quite well! :-D
Well with that many cabs it might as well be a Wonkavator.
You forgot a sixth cab for space travel.
Space travel would only need one cab. You only get launched one way from the 3rd rock from the sun in to orbit.
  by ACeInTheHole
 
ApproachMedium wrote:
beanbag wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:
Tadman wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:Why did Siemens design the ACS-64 with only two cabs?
Can you clarify?
I was thinking of a 3, 4, or 5 cab design for sideways and vertical movements, but Patrick explained the rationale quite well! :-D
Well with that many cabs it might as well be a Wonkavator.
You forgot a sixth cab for space travel.
Space travel would only need one cab. You only get launched one way from the 3rd rock from the sun in to orbit.
Ha. I was just adding to the joke.
  by Tadman
 
Mod note: We've done well here, let's move on to a new delivery news thread. Thanks guys!
  • 1
  • 93
  • 94
  • 95
  • 96
  • 97