• Sprinter ACS-64 Electric Loco: Siemens.

  • Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

  • 1450 posts
  • 1
  • 92
  • 93
  • 94
  • 95
  • 96
  • 97
  by ACeInTheHole
 
mtuandrew wrote:
lirr42 wrote:
dt_rt40 wrote:"Wednesday I get my chance to go into class for this new motor etc. Quite excited."

Oh come on, you weren't concerned the thread got off topic, you're just trying to make us jealous!
"go into class" - does this imply a classroom type setting w/video instruction - which presumbly Siemens and Amtrak have already prepared - or does class mean you actually go work with the motor itself. Did the order with Siemens include some kind of simulator? If you think about it, since the operator's cab is probably 100% "fly by wire", it's probably relatively trivial to rewrite the software (assuming they've already done such a thing in the Europe market, and surely they have) to control a virtual locomotive instead of a real one.
I hear Amtrak is flying making all of their engineers hitchhike to Europe Delaware for an all a no expenses-paid week of playing with/operating the Vectron a bootlegged copy of MS Train Simulator on a 1999 Gateway desktop as their training. Nothing but the most exquisite cuisine microwave burritos and finest hotels rusted-out baggage cars included. ;-)
Fixed your post, lirr42 :wink:
LMFAO! Thats GREAT! Nice one Andrew.
  by ThirdRail7
 
Fan Railer wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieOKK5BBpFM - Departing from Trenton on 9/9; courtesy of FL92002. Looks like someone got lucky and stumbled on ThirdRail7's announced test run.
This was the incremental test run with the cab car. The train ping ponged back and forth on the race track increasing speeds on every run until they topped out at 130 on the sixth run. Then it did a few tests between Grundy and Holmes, including one that took the Torresdale curves at 105mph.

They were supposed to perform similar tests between Perryville and Philadelphia tonight, but last I heard they may have canceled that test and headed to Boston instead.
  by AEM7AC920
 
BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Are you jealous??? Good!! Hehehehe
Soo how was class? Did they let you anywhere near the loco!? LOL
  by ACeInTheHole
 
AEM7AC920 wrote:
BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Are you jealous??? Good!! Hehehehe
Soo how was class? Did they let you anywhere near the loco!? LOL
HAHA AEM you pulled the words right out of my mouth. Budd, consider me as asking the same question.
  by MBTA1016
 
They could've been crammed in the toaster that was for protection if the loco leading crapped out lol. But seriously did they let u near or inside of it?
  by 25Hz
 
Any new choo-choo runs Bristol-Hamilton anytime soon? :)

Seeing it at Levittown was quite a thrill.

Interested in how it handled on those speed runs...!
  by ACeInTheHole
 
Ha before I forget AEM, it wont be long before were asking you the same question with regard to the HSP46.. Enjoy this side of the fence while it lasts =p, sorry to drag it off topic a little but i just had to put that in there.
  by 25Hz
 
Thomas wrote:How loud was it?
Well I saw it going 90, but it was quieter than HHP/acela for sure.
  by morris&essex4ever
 
Thomas wrote:How loud was it?
Judging from the videos, it seems like it's quiet relative to older electric locomotives.
  by Fan Railer
 
Reports from elsewhere state the locomotive is taking it's 4 car train (including freshly overhauled metroliner cab) up to Boston. As of 4:30, location = Southeastern Connecticut.
  by ACeInTheHole
 
morris&essex4ever wrote:
Thomas wrote:How loud was it?
Judging from the videos, it seems like it's quiet relative to older electric locomotives.
You cant properly judge how loud a loco is off a video, other variables such as quality of the mic, spot on the loco being filmed (you can hear an ALP45s diesel engines much more clearly in a video if the camera is around its center vs. just off), what notch the throttle is in etc. could affect what you hear. A proper noise comparison answer would best be left to our resident engineers... Once Budds school lets out for recess and hes had a chance to play with one (I had to.. Sorry Budd :-D) we will know properly.
Last edited by ACeInTheHole on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Fan Railer
 
beanbag wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote:
Thomas wrote:How loud was it?
Judging from the videos, it seems like it's quiet relative to older electric locomotives.
You cant properly judge how loud a loco is off a video, other variables such as quality of the mic, spot on the loco being filmed (you can hear an ALP45s desels much more clearly in a video if the camera is around its center vs. just off), what notch the throttle is in etc. A proper noise comparison answer would best be left to our resident engineers... Once Budds school lets out for recess and hes had a chance to play with one (I had to.. Sorry Budd :-D) we will know properly.
Either that, or just wait until they become a regular (and eventually the only) fixture in terms of E-loco power on the NEC.
  by ACeInTheHole
 
Fan Railer wrote:
beanbag wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote:
Thomas wrote:How loud was it?
Judging from the videos, it seems like it's quiet relative to older electric locomotives.
You cant properly judge how loud a loco is off a video, other variables such as quality of the mic, spot on the loco being filmed (you can hear an ALP45s desels much more clearly in a video if the camera is around its center vs. just off), what notch the throttle is in etc. A proper noise comparison answer would best be left to our resident engineers... Once Budds school lets out for recess and hes had a chance to play with one (I had to.. Sorry Budd :-D) we will know properly.
Either that, or just wait until they become a regular (and eventually the only) fixture in terms of E-loco power on the NEC.
That too.-_- not like that was the most logical, simplest answer or anything.
  • 1
  • 92
  • 93
  • 94
  • 95
  • 96
  • 97