Railroad Forums 

• Sprinter ACS-64 Electric Loco: Siemens.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1213453  by ACeInTheHole

mtuandrew wrote:
lirr42 wrote:
dt_rt40 wrote:"Wednesday I get my chance to go into class for this new motor etc. Quite excited."

Oh come on, you weren't concerned the thread got off topic, you're just trying to make us jealous!
"go into class" - does this imply a classroom type setting w/video instruction - which presumbly Siemens and Amtrak have already prepared - or does class mean you actually go work with the motor itself. Did the order with Siemens include some kind of simulator? If you think about it, since the operator's cab is probably 100% "fly by wire", it's probably relatively trivial to rewrite the software (assuming they've already done such a thing in the Europe market, and surely they have) to control a virtual locomotive instead of a real one.
I hear Amtrak is flying making all of their engineers hitchhike to Europe Delaware for an all a no expenses-paid week of playing with/operating the Vectron a bootlegged copy of MS Train Simulator on a 1999 Gateway desktop as their training. Nothing but the most exquisite cuisine microwave burritos and finest hotels rusted-out baggage cars included. ;-)
Fixed your post, lirr42 :wink:
LMFAO! Thats GREAT! Nice one Andrew.
 #1213923  by ThirdRail7

Fan Railer wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieOKK5BBpFM - Departing from Trenton on 9/9; courtesy of FL92002. Looks like someone got lucky and stumbled on ThirdRail7's announced test run.
This was the incremental test run with the cab car. The train ping ponged back and forth on the race track increasing speeds on every run until they topped out at 130 on the sixth run. Then it did a few tests between Grundy and Holmes, including one that took the Torresdale curves at 105mph.

They were supposed to perform similar tests between Perryville and Philadelphia tonight, but last I heard they may have canceled that test and headed to Boston instead.
 #1213996  by AEM7AC920

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Are you jealous??? Good!! Hehehehe
Soo how was class? Did they let you anywhere near the loco!? LOL
 #1213998  by ACeInTheHole

AEM7AC920 wrote:
BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Are you jealous??? Good!! Hehehehe
Soo how was class? Did they let you anywhere near the loco!? LOL
HAHA AEM you pulled the words right out of my mouth. Budd, consider me as asking the same question.
 #1214073  by MBTA1016

They could've been crammed in the toaster that was for protection if the loco leading crapped out lol. But seriously did they let u near or inside of it?
 #1214078  by 25Hz

Any new choo-choo runs Bristol-Hamilton anytime soon? :)

Seeing it at Levittown was quite a thrill.

Interested in how it handled on those speed runs...!
 #1214090  by ACeInTheHole

Ha before I forget AEM, it wont be long before were asking you the same question with regard to the HSP46.. Enjoy this side of the fence while it lasts =p, sorry to drag it off topic a little but i just had to put that in there.
 #1214111  by 25Hz

Thomas wrote:How loud was it?
Well I saw it going 90, but it was quieter than HHP/acela for sure.
 #1214127  by morris&essex4ever

Judging from the videos, it seems like it's quiet relative to older electric locomotives.
 #1214156  by ACeInTheHole

morris&essex4ever wrote:
Judging from the videos, it seems like it's quiet relative to older electric locomotives.
You cant properly judge how loud a loco is off a video, other variables such as quality of the mic, spot on the loco being filmed (you can hear an ALP45s diesel engines much more clearly in a video if the camera is around its center vs. just off), what notch the throttle is in etc. could affect what you hear. A proper noise comparison answer would best be left to our resident engineers... Once Budds school lets out for recess and hes had a chance to play with one (I had to.. Sorry Budd :-D) we will know properly.
Last edited by ACeInTheHole on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1214171  by Fan Railer

beanbag wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote:
You cant properly judge how loud a loco is off a video, other variables such as quality of the mic, spot on the loco being filmed (you can hear an ALP45s desels much more clearly in a video if the camera is around its center vs. just off), what notch the throttle is in etc. A proper noise comparison answer would best be left to our resident engineers... Once Budds school lets out for recess and hes had a chance to play with one (I had to.. Sorry Budd :-D) we will know properly.
Either that, or just wait until they become a regular (and eventually the only) fixture in terms of E-loco power on the NEC.
 #1214172  by ACeInTheHole

Fan Railer wrote:
beanbag wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote:
You cant properly judge how loud a loco is off a video, other variables such as quality of the mic, spot on the loco being filmed (you can hear an ALP45s desels much more clearly in a video if the camera is around its center vs. just off), what notch the throttle is in etc. A proper noise comparison answer would best be left to our resident engineers... Once Budds school lets out for recess and hes had a chance to play with one (I had to.. Sorry Budd :-D) we will know properly.
Either that, or just wait until they become a regular (and eventually the only) fixture in terms of E-loco power on the NEC.
That too.-_- not like that was the most logical, simplest answer or anything.