Railroad Forums 

• Sprinter ACS-64 Electric Loco: Siemens.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1213335  by ACeInTheHole

CNJGeep wrote:
beanbag wrote:
CNJGeep wrote:
beanbag wrote:What is the reliability record of the MARC HHPs? are they good?
HAHA
I knew the answer was going to be no, I just dont know much about the MARC HHPs, I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. Whats worse? The AEMs or the HHPs (speaking strictly MARC)?
AEMs got work done at Wilmington. Whether that made them better or worse than the HHPs is debatable.
From what I read, they were better off pre overhaul.
 #1213336  by lirr42

^ most things are better off pre-overhaul, Mr. Beanbag. But overhauls are an unfortunate necessity to prolong life. You're exchanging a small bit of short-term power and performance for more long-term reliability and equipment that will work longer. The same thing happened with MN's P32's. They were neutered during their overhaul and can now barely handle 7-car maxi-bombs. But the engines will last longer than they would have if they had not had an overhaul of any sort.
 #1213338  by ACeInTheHole

lirr42 wrote:^ most things are better off pre-overhaul, Mr. Beanbag. But overhauls are an unfortunate necessity to prolong life. You're exchanging a small bit of short-term power and performance for more long-term reliability and equipment that will work longer. The same thing happened with MN's P32's. They were neutered during their overhaul and can now barely handle 7-car maxi-bombs. But the engines will last longer than they would have if they had not had an overhaul of any sort.
Oh no, Im not denying the life extending benefits of an overhaul, I understand the purpose, I was only restating what I had read about the AEMs. I saw that example with the P32s. Not to drag this any further off topic but The MN rebuilds down here In the pool service arent any better, always late, very slow, the 4904 in particular every time I see it is always belching oily smoke all over itself. But yes I do understand that they needed the overhaul, regardless of how they performed before vs. after.
 #1213367  by Fan Railer

ThirdRail7 wrote:I'm sure I'll regret this, but if you have a few hours tonight, don't live too far from "race track" and don't mind burning the midnight oil, you'll capture some great footage (if all goes according to plan.) If you're really a night owl, you may want to hang out in Torresdale, Pa.
Doesn't look like anyone took up on your offer =/
 #1213369  by Patrick Boylan

lirr42 wrote:Sounds like a fancy electronic mirror that will be broken on half the locomotives by this time next year.
I agree that most cameras are just what you say, 'electronic mirrors', but SEPTA's Market-Frankford line has been using them for over 10 years on 220 cars, in what I'd consider a harsher camera environment. Is there any evidence that SEPTA's had any problem keeping them working? What aspects of Amtrak make you think they'd break more easily than on SEPTA, where vandals have much easier access?
 #1213389  by BuddSilverliner269

Wednesday I get my chance to go into class for this new motor etc. Quite excited. Can we bring this discussion back to the sprinters and not Marc hhps and toasters and what septa uses in its Market street elevated passenger railway company cars and Frankford elevated cars please? Thanks.
 #1213396  by dt_rt40

"Wednesday I get my chance to go into class for this new motor etc. Quite excited."

Oh come on, you weren't concerned the thread got off topic, you're just trying to make us jealous!
"go into class" - does this imply a classroom type setting w/video instruction - which presumbly Siemens and Amtrak have already prepared - or does class mean you actually go work with the motor itself. Did the order with Siemens include some kind of simulator? If you think about it, since the operator's cab is probably 100% "fly by wire", it's probably relatively trivial to rewrite the software (assuming they've already done such a thing in the Europe market, and surely they have) to control a virtual locomotive instead of a real one.
Last edited by dt_rt40 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1213422  by lirr42

dt_rt40 wrote:"Wednesday I get my chance to go into class for this new motor etc. Quite excited."

Oh come on, you weren't concerned the thread got off topic, you're just trying to make us jealous!
"go into class" - does this imply a classroom type setting w/video instruction - which presumbly Siemens and Amtrak have already prepared - or does class mean you actually go work with the motor itself. Did the order with Siemens include some kind of simulator? If you think about it, since the operator's cab is probably 100% "fly by wire", it's probably relatively trivial to rewrite the software (assuming they've already done such a thing in the Europe market, and surely they have) to control a virtual locomotive instead of a real one.
I hear Amtrak is flying all of their engineers to Europe for an all expenses-paid week of playing with/operating the Vectron as their training. Nothing but the most exquisite cuisine and finest hotels included. ;-)
 #1213427  by electricron

lirr42 wrote:I hear Amtrak is flying all of their engineers to Europe for an all expenses-paid week of playing with/operating the Vectron as their training. Nothing but the most exquisite cuisine and finest hotels included. ;-)
Must be another April Fools joke. If not, someone should be losing their job over waste of funds. All training should be done in America where it should be cheaper.

Amtrak could not survive politically if it followed the IRS erroneous ways.
 #1213433  by Patrick Boylan

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Wednesday I get my chance to go into class for this new motor etc. Quite excited. Can we bring this discussion back to the sprinters and not Marc hhps and toasters and what septa uses in its Market street elevated passenger railway company cars and Frankford elevated cars please? Thanks.
As long as you promise nobody mentions doohickeys on the sprinters that might break where similar thingamickjaggers on Market Frankford cars seemingly don't break.
 #1213440  by AEM7AC920

electricron wrote:
lirr42 wrote:I hear Amtrak is flying all of their engineers to Europe for an all expenses-paid week of playing with/operating the Vectron as their training. Nothing but the most exquisite cuisine and finest hotels included. ;-)
Must be another April Fools joke. If not, someone should be losing their job over waste of funds. All training should be done in America where it should be cheaper.

Wow you really believed that for 1 second?
 #1213450  by ACeInTheHole

AEM7AC920 wrote:
electricron wrote:

Wow you really believed that for 1 second?
Im horribly gullible and I didnt even buy that for a second.
 #1213452  by mtuandrew

lirr42 wrote:
dt_rt40 wrote:"Wednesday I get my chance to go into class for this new motor etc. Quite excited."

I hear Amtrak is flying making all of their engineers hitchhike to Europe Delaware for an all a no expenses-paid week of playing with/operating the Vectron a bootlegged copy of MS Train Simulator on a 1999 Gateway desktop as their training. Nothing but the most exquisite cuisine microwave burritos and finest hotels rusted-out baggage cars included. ;-)
Fixed your post, lirr42 :wink: