Railroad Forums 

• Sprinter ACS-64 Electric Loco: Siemens.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1214217  by Thomas

I watched a Youtube video of these new locomotives. Amtrak just made a solid investment.

My question is, though, is if the software on these new locomotives is encrypted?
 #1214221  by Greg Moore

Thomas wrote:I watched a Youtube video of these new locomotives. Amtrak just made a solid investment.

My question is, though, is if the software on these new locomotives is encrypted?
Encrypted?

How do you mean?

And why?

Software can certainly be encrypted, but generally then needs to be decrypted to run. Most likely the locomotives use a variety of embedded processors (still often with software written in C). The overall system is probably a more modern language (possibly Java, but there's many others out there that would work well.)
 #1214223  by CNJGeep

Thomas wrote:I watched a Youtube video of these new locomotives. Amtrak just made a solid investment.

My question is, though, why you're always so curious about whether railroad electronic systems can be hacked.
 #1214315  by Fan Railer

by Thomas » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:09 pm

I watched a Youtube video of these new locomotives. Amtrak just made a solid investment.

Honestly, not to steer off topic, but seriously, how old are you? Like, 12? 13?

Back on topic: here's a daytime video of the test train with the cab car heading up to Boston:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGudJwXv0K8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1214320  by mtuandrew

CNJGeep wrote:

My question is, though, why you're always so curious about whether railroad electronic systems can be hacked.
I wonder if he has in mind a movie scenario wherein through the use of impressive flashing lights and vaguely machine-level code, hackers from a randomly-selected "bad" country would be able to run ACS-64s up and down the Corridor like Lionel engines under the throttle of a 6 year old on Christmas Day. (To which, the answer is "no, that can't happen.")
 #1214322  by v8interceptor

Fan Railer wrote:
by Thomas » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:09 pm

Honestly, not to steer off topic, but seriously, how old are you? Like, 12? 13?

Back on topic: here's a daytime video of the test train with the cab car heading up to Boston:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGudJwXv0K8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I just saw this consist on the NEC in Pawtucket, RI heading Southbound (towards Providence Station) with the locomotive trailing in push mode about an hour ago (approx. 11:15 AM 9/13/13).
I was inadvertantly pacing the train as I travelled Southbound on Rt. 95.
I had just left an eye doctor's appointment and my pupils were dilated so I literally did a doubletake and questioned my eyesight when I realized what it was. At first I thought it was an out-of-service AEM-7 being towed at the trailing end of an Amtrak NEC Regional; train, which would be odd in and of itself, I felt quite fortunate to be in the right place at the right time when I realized I was seeing a test train..
 #1214373  by ApproachMedium

Encryption I do not know, but I do know that almost every propulsion software is proprietary, and modifications to that software are extremely expensive. BBD charges about $20,000 a locomotive to do a software mod. No average joe can just go in and modify this code, its almost always proprietary to the manufacture of the propulsion electronics/locomotive itself and even the purchasing railroad does not get access to it.
 #1214389  by hi55us

ApproachMedium wrote:

Encryption I do not know, but I do know that almost every propulsion software is proprietary, and modifications to that software are extremely expensive. BBD charges about $20,000 a locomotive to do a software mod. No average joe can just go in and modify this code, its almost always proprietary to the manufacture of the propulsion electronics/locomotive itself and even the purchasing railroad does not get access to it.
Just spotted a southbound regional train going into NYP from sunnyside with the new Siemens loco. Could not spot the #. I'm pretty sure it was the only power on the train. Perhaps this is one of it's first revenue moves?
 #1214400  by DutchRailnut

Not in Revenue service yet, it did go to Boston and came back with cab car leading thru Stamford around 16: 25
 #1214401  by ThirdRail7

hi55us wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:

Just spotted a southbound regional train going into NYP from sunnyside with the new Siemens loco. Could not spot the #. I'm pretty sure it was the only power on the train. Perhaps this is one of it's first revenue moves?
It was the test train that I mentioned went to Boston. They were testing cab car operation through the dead sections.
 #1214474  by pbj123

I know it's a good thing there will be more reliable engines to replace the AEM 7's and HPP 8's, but they will still be pulling 35 year old Amfleet coaches. Less breakdowns but still coaches that are too hot, or too cold, or leak in the rain, or fill up with snow in the winter. Sorry to put a damper on this thread, but these engines solve only half of the problem.
 #1214476  by Greg Moore

pbj123 wrote:I know it's a good thing there will be more reliable engines to replace the AEM 7's and HPP 8's, but they will still be pulling 35 year old Amfleet coaches. Less breakdowns but still coaches that are too hot, or too cold, or leak in the rain, or fill up with snow in the winter. Sorry to put a damper on this thread, but these engines solve only half of the problem.
Glass 1/2 full vs. Glass 1/2 empty.

"But these engines solve at least 1/2 the problem." :-)
 #1214490  by train2

You know one of the things about this site that really is bothersome: the topics and deviations threads like this take -- such as "is the software encrypted!!!!!!" From my experience if I see a thread with 30-80 pages of posts, I am very UNLIKELY to read through them as I know more than half is stuff will not be related, to the point or even relevant.

As to encryption: to the person asking that even if you could jack with it the safety systems of the locomotive would stop you. This have has so many layers of redundancy, many mechanical and not in the software, that hacking is of no concern. All you might be able to do is see fault codes for problems the unit is broadcasting home, but you couldn't move, or even blow the horn!
 #1214496  by AEM7AC920

pbj123 wrote:I know it's a good thing there will be more reliable engines to replace the AEM 7's and HPP 8's, but they will still be pulling 35 year old Amfleet coaches. Less breakdowns but still coaches that are too hot, or too cold, or leak in the rain, or fill up with snow in the winter. Sorry to put a damper on this thread, but these engines solve only half of the problem.

Really where did you get amfleets from ACS64 (this is the name of the thread no?) Yes there are coaches that have defects but come on they are really not that bad as you make it seem and it's not like every other one has problems that effect passenger comfort. Pretty sure having a reliable loco in the first place is a bigger issue then minor here and there coach defects that are repairable.