Railroad Forums 

• Salamanca Question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#805984  by thebigham

Was in Salamanca tonight.

The rail museum is fine.

The building remains were still smoking.

Saw a WNY&P train going east towards Olean at Carrollton with 430, 432 and 40+ cars.

Tonight's BFSI was at the B&P yard with 4 orange untis.
 #888665  by bellev

I have always wondered but this confirms it for me. There is a building thatis next to an Auto Body shop on Broad that looks like an old train station. Has been there since I was a kid and I am in my 40s now. It (as I have been told) was the station for the spurr from Grove Place to the river. Delivered papers on Grove Place and never knew that used be a railroad there! Wow...this is neat!
 #895914  by JoeS

JoeS wrote:In the western part of Salamanca there is evidence of a railroad spur that connected the Pennsy tracks with the Erie, with a river crossing somewhere around Grove and Front Aves. If you look at an aerial photo of the PRR tracks there is a distinct wye configuration roughly south of the high school.

The spur continued northeast crossing Broad, Hancock and Front Aves before crossing the river. Continuing on east it must have connected with the Erie in the area of the lumber company.

From family history I have evidence that this spur was long gone by the 1930s. From numerous visits to the area I've concluded that Grove Place was built on the old roadbed.

Has anyone ever come across information on this spur, who owned it and so on? I seem to recall dome discussion about it in the past but it may have been lost along the way.
This weekend I took possession of a number of old family documents, including property deeds and titles. Here is some information gleaned from them:

In 1894 the right of way owner was called the “Salamanca & Olean R.R. Co.”

In 1903 it was referred to as the “Pennsylvania Railroad Company (Formerly Western New York, and Pennsylvania Railroad Company)” There is also reference to the "former bridge" across the Allegheny River in this document.

In 1946 the same right-of-way was described as belonging to the “Salamanca and Olean Railroad Company, now leased to the Pennsylvania Railroad.”

So the bridge across the river was gone before 1903. I wonder if the Salamanca and Olean was actually the Olean and Salamanca?

By the way, back then Front Avenue was named Corydon Street.
 #895941  by SST

On the previous page it was mentioned about several stalls in Olean still being there. When was the last time anyone was in the area? On my way down to the B&S RR in Pa, I passed the Dresser area and there was a huge amount of demolition going on. I saw the stalls but this was late summer. Are they still there now?
 #897059  by Mr.S

Salamanca,NY shouldn't that be the BUFFALO ROCHESTER and PITTSBURGH RR and not the B.& S. then b.&o.,which is now part of the G&W rr family?
 #1425514  by MichaelWinicki

JoeS wrote:In the western part of Salamanca there is evidence of a railroad spur that connected the Pennsy tracks with the Erie, with a river crossing somewhere around Grove and Front Aves. If you look at an aerial photo of the PRR tracks there is a distinct wye configuration roughly south of the high school.

The spur continued northeast crossing Broad, Hancock and Front Aves before crossing the river. Continuing on east it must have connected with the Erie in the area of the lumber company.

From family history I have evidence that this spur was long gone by the 1930s. From numerous visits to the area I've concluded that Grove Place was built on the old roadbed.

Has anyone ever come across information on this spur, who owned it and so on? I seem to recall dome discussion about it in the past but it may have been lost along the way.
Dredging up an old thread with new info...

Yes, there was a bridge that crossed the river and connected to the Erie.

Stan Carlson at the Salamanca Rail Museum has a map that indicates this line that crossed Board St, Hancock & Front Ave and the river was owned by the WNY&P.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5797435 ... 646905903/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bridge probably only existed for a few years in the 1880's.