Railroad Forums 

• Roundhouses in New England

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#647073  by atsf sp

There is a map on the floor of the library near Beacon Park and it shows that the yard had two turntables with two roundhouses. I would place this in the 20s or 30s.
 #649712  by whatelyrailfan

Up until sometime in the 1940s-50s there were two roundhouses in Springfield. They were both located west of I-91, with the B&M roundhouse being located north of the B&A main, and the NYNH&H roundhouse being located JUST south of the B&A main (Source: Historical USGS maps of New England and New York). I checked it out on Google Earth, and could't find any trace of the B&M roundhouse, but the floor/foundation of the NYNH&H roudhouse are clearly visible, and although I could tell where the turntable pit would have been, I couldn't actually see it. I hope this is of help!
 #1027062  by rrr

can anyone come up with a list of existing new hampshire roundhouses--I think I got quite a few. just wondering if I missed any
-Russ
 #1027251  by citystation1848

rrr wrote:can anyone come up with a list of existing new hampshire roundhouses--I think I got quite a few. just wondering if I missed any
-Russ
I think this is all of them... anyone have additions or corrections?

Bartlett - Preservation
Dover - Commercial/Retail
Keene - Commercial/Retail
Lebanon - ???
Nashua - Commercial (partial)
North Conway - Railroad
North Walpole - Railroad
Portsmouth - Abandoned

Matt
 #1027267  by rrr

Thanks Matt---So I take it the Manchester roundhouse has been demolished right?
-Russ
 #1027287  by trainsinmaine

The roundhouse for the Boston & Albany's "Rabbit Road" still stands in Athol, Massachusetts. I believe it has five stalls. I'm told it's in very good condition, though I have never walked in to see it. There is no direct road access. A stump of the railroad still exists as well, about two-tenths of a mile long. All of this is pretty remarkable, given that the line was abandoned in 1935.
 #1027296  by CarterB

trainsinmaine wrote:The roundhouse for the Boston & Albany's "Rabbit Road" still stands in Athol, Massachusetts. I believe it has five stalls. I'm told it's in very good condition, though I have never walked in to see it. There is no direct road access. A stump of the railroad still exists as well, about two-tenths of a mile long. All of this is pretty remarkable, given that the line was abandoned in 1935.
There's a 3 stall roundhouse here N 42.58894 W 72.23523.

Is that the one?

There is an unconnected bit of siding (dating back to 1898) to what used to be Athol Gas & Electric, rail still in place, on the other side of the tracks.
 #1027334  by TomNelligan

Thanks Matt---So I take it the Manchester roundhouse has been demolished right?
Most of the former B&M yard property in Manchester now houses the New Hampshire Fisher Cats minor league baseball stadium and an adjoining hotel. The yard was cleared out for construction about ten years ago, and my recollection is that the roundhouse was gone before that. A couple yard tracks are left along with the shell of the old Manchester tower.
 #1027383  by bm1838

A eight stall Roundhouse existed in Sanbornville, NH at the juction of the Conway and Wolfeboro Branch. Only the turntable remains today but the foundation is still visable. It burned sometime around 1910-1912...

Cory F.
 #1027447  by The EGE

Just explored the old roundhouse at Groton CT (Midway) today. Everything aboveground is long gone, but the remains are there. The turntable foundation is still there (albeit filled with thornbushes and at least three rusted remains of cars). The roundhouse itself is slowly self-destructing, but a lot is still there. One track even still has the rails in place.
 #1027591  by Trainlover479

bm1838 wrote:A eight stall Roundhouse existed in Sanbornville, NH at the juction of the Conway and Wolfeboro Branch. Only the turntable remains today but the foundation is still visable. It burned sometime around 1910-1912...

Cory F.

but then the B&M rebuilt the roundhouse to a 3 stall after that fire, and then sometime before the 70's it was torn down
 #1029035  by rrr

I just went to the portsmouth and dover roundhouses-is portsmouth going to be torn down any time soon. its in bad shape I wish there was some way to save some of these places.
 #1029184  by CVRA7

[quote="rrr"]I just went to the portsmouth and dover roundhouses-is portsmouth going to be torn down any time soon. its in bad shape I wish there was some way to save some of these places.[/quote]
The Bartlett Roundhouse Preservation Club is doing just that up in northern New Hampshire - google them for information via a blog site.
Some recent aerial photos posted on a Pan Am group site revealed what looked to be a 6 stall roundhouse and turntable in Rumford, ME. It looked intact but there also seemed to be a lot of snow plowed into the turntable pit so I doubt if it is serviceable.
 #1029385  by rrr

I am probably wrong, but is there any roundhouse in phillips Me- -for some reason I think that one may have been moved there from a different location.
-russ