Railroad Forums 

• Roundhouses in New England

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#621195  by Rockingham Racer

It might be interestimg to find out where they all were once upon a freckle. I'll start with two I remember:
South Lawrence by the South Union St. overpass, and Reading Highlands.
 #621232  by Cowford

Man, you might want to narrow it down to state-by-state... you have a lot to list! Maine: B+A - Searsport, No Me Jct, Derby, Millinocket, Oakfield, Houlton, Caribou, Van Buren, Presque Isle (EH), Katahdin Iron Works (EH), Greenville Jct... CPR - Brownville Jct ... MEC: Calais, Vanceboro, Bangor, Waterville, Rockland, Rumford, Portland (Thompsons Pt?), Lewiston Lower (EH)... GT: Portland (Deering)... PT: South Portland (Rigby)... Eastern RR (Portland Yard 8?) I'm sure I'm missing some... doesn't include the Liliputs.
 #621321  by eman577

Depends on your definition, whether you are talking about the classical semi circular
configuration, engine sheds with turntables (or without), or including turntables
without buildings. Lots of variations out there.
 #621376  by Otto Vondrak

Rockingham Racer wrote:It might be interestimg to find out where they all were once upon a freckle. I'll start with two I remember:
South Lawrence by the South Union St. overpass, and Reading Highlands.
Er, so you're asking about roundhouses that were, but are no longer? Can you narrow it down to a state? New England is a big place with a lot of railroad.
 #621472  by shadyjay

Here's my contributions:

VERMONT:
Bellows Falls Rutland RR, NW quadrant of diamond w/ B&M, demolished
B&M, across the river in N Walpole NH, still in use by RR
White River Jct Central Vermont, caught fire in late 2008,
B&M, across the river in West Lebanon NH, still existing
Lyndonville Canadian Pacific, gone
Rutland Rutland RR, gone
Burlington Rutland RR, still in use by RR
St Albans Central Vermont, still in use by RR

CONNECTICUT:
Cedar Hill NYNH&H, at least 1, if not 2, gone
New London Central Vermont, caught fire and burned in 2000s
there were others, i'm sure... perhaps dozens of others.
 #621537  by TomNelligan

If you go back far enough, just about any terminal that serviced steam locomotives would have had one. There were several dozen at least in the six New England states.
 #621539  by Rockingham Racer

TomNelligan wrote:If you go back far enough, just about any terminal that serviced steam locomotives would have had one. There were several dozen at least in the six New England states.
Good enough; since I grew up in B&M territory, I'll ask the moderator to move this to the B&M Forum and limit it to that railroad.
 #621545  by Mikejf

Another one in Maine, South Berwick, part of the Portsmouth and Conway I believe originally, now the pit is preserved (somewhat) alongside Route 236. Also there was one in Sebago, Maine, on the Portland & Ogdensburg (MEC Mountain Division) and the pit remains are still there, albeit behind a locked gate in a drinking water protection area.
New Hampshire there are a few I can think of. Bartlett used to have one, North Conway still has one, and there must have been more I can't think of.
Mike
 #621709  by b&m 1566

miketrainnut wrote:Another one in Maine, South Berwick, part of the Portsmouth and Conway I believe originally, now the pit is preserved (somewhat) alongside Route 236. Also there was one in Sebago, Maine, on the Portland & Ogdensburg (MEC Mountain Division) and the pit remains are still there, albeit behind a locked gate in a drinking water protection area.
New Hampshire there are a few I can think of. Bartlett used to have one, North Conway still has one, and there must have been more I can't think of.
Mike
North Conway had two. There was one on the MEC side, located at the MEC North Conway Depot; roughly in the area where the new passing track is located.
Other areas that I can think of: Nashua, NH the turn table and house were located on the northwest side of the yard, Concord, NH located near the scrap metal place, Haverhill, MA just north of the current station. Since on the topic was there one in Plymouth, MA too?
 #621738  by jbvb

B&M Eastern Route: Portsmouth, Newburyport, Salem, maybe Lynn, Amesbury had a 1-stall shed IIRC.
Western Route: Reading (in addition to South Lawrence, Haverhill, Dover)
NH Route: Wilmington had a building, don't know if it was an actual roundhouse. Middlesex (between Lowell and N. Chelmsford), Nashua, Manchester, Concord, Laconia (IIRC), Plymouth, Woodsville, West Lebanon.
Fitchburg: Ayer (long ago), E. Fitchburg, E. Deerfield, Troy, Mechanicville
Worcester, Nashua & Portland: Worcester (gone by WWII), Clinton, Rochester NH
Conn. River: Springfield (gone by WWII), No. Walpole NH. Claremont Jct. had a 3-stall shed.

And of course BET and the roundhouses by Lechmere and in Charlestown.

I may have missed a couple, haven't checked the BMRRHS Characteristics Charts reprint.
 #621829  by CSX Engineer 98

A Famous still standing brick Roundhouse located on cape cod and is a Bar called Pufferbellies

the pit is still outback and doubles as a Volley ball court, inside the old roof timbers and can still see the rails for the stall in parts of the floor.
 #621849  by CVRA7

Existing Roundhouses or preserved remnants in Southern New England:
CT
Old Saybrook (foundation, turntable pit)
Putnam (small roundhouse-maybe 4 or so stalls, now part of commercial building)
Willimantic (excellent replica on original foundation, with turntable - Conn. Eastern RR Museum at Columbia Jct.)
(Cedar Hill houses gone - 1 c late 1960s, larger one c. 1980s; also ex-NH house in E Hartford burned down several years ago)
MA
Chester (ex B&A helper terminal now storage building, adjacent coal tower)
E Deerfield (B&M, now apparently used by MofW dept., 8 or so stalls)
Fitchburg (B&M, as of a few years ago a collapsed ruin, turntable pit evident)
Hopedale (Grafton & Upton, 2 stall, reportedly about to be demolished)
Hyannis (ex-NH, the gin-mill that CSX engineer 98 described)
Plainville???-Someplace in Old Colony territory, about a 5 stall house, possibly now used by town dept. of public works
Whitman?? (foundation and turntable pit)
RI
roundhouses extinct
Also, my favorites in Maine -
Phillips (replica 8-stall on historic foundation, ex Phillips & Rangeley (Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes RR Museum (2 foot gauge)
Rockland (ex MEC, in use by Maine Eastern)
Portland (PT, Rigby yard under threat of demolition - partially in use by MofW in recent years)
E Deering (Grand Trunk (A&SL) preserved for commercial use)
Derby Shops (B&A, now MM&A in use)
Northern Maine Jct (B&A, abandoned several years ago when work was moved to Derby)
Also, the Wiscasset Waterville & Farmington Ry Museum has a replica of the Wiscasset 3 stall house in the planning stages, to be built at Sheepscot.
(2 foot gauge)
Last edited by CVRA7 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.