Railroad Forums 

• Roundhouses in New England

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#623686  by Finch

Got it, thanks Dick. Google Maps has a decent satellite view of the roundhouse and turntable.
 #624103  by truman

Finch;
There was a time you could drive down the access road from Bartlett st. (via Ricci supply's parking lot) to Maplewood Ave, but there are gates now, one behind Ricci, and one at the other end, just beyond Granite State minerals "other" yard, as you come in from Maplewood. The railroad shop building was occupied last time I checked, a marine construction company I think.
 #624496  by OneForTheKick

The New England Central's roundhouse in St Albans VT is getting a customs facility installed within it in order for Customs to have a place to check intermodal containers that come through by rail :wink: :wink: :wink:
 #624636  by b&m 1566

I almost forgot. Lexington, MA had a turn table, no engine house though as that was connected to the station. The one stall engine house was located where the entrance to the parking lot is now and the turn table was located in the parking lot down at the other end of the station.
 #630870  by citystation1848

Nashua actually had three... count 'em THREE roundhouses. One for each of the respective railroads back before the Boston & Maine Railroad came into the picture.

Concord & Montreal Railroad
This one was later used by the Boston & Maine Railroad
Temple Street next to Union Station, one stall remains as well as machine shop
http://www.nashuacitystation.org/nashua ... roundhouse

Worcester, Nashua & Rochester Railroad
Between Commercial Street and Temple Street

Nashua & Lowell Railroad / Boston & Lowell Railroad
Nashua Drive (parking lot today)

Matt
 #642288  by xtcbct

AlcoFA wrote:The roundhouse in East Hartford, CT survived up until about 12 years ago (the turntable was long gone). It was destroyed in a general alarm fire. The roundhouse had been used to store reposessed automobiles and there were over 100 of them in there at the time of the fire.

The floor still exists and is part of a parking lot for trucks.
What is this near? I have never found where this was located?

Thanks
Xian
 #642397  by CVRA7

Xian, the roundhouse was located between the yard and the Armory Branch right off of Park Ave. Some of the other buildings east of the roundhouse location were former railroad shop buildings. Google Earth can help.
 #642460  by RRBUFF

The old Maine Central Roundhouse in Calais Maine is still in tact complete with turntable. It is being used as a recycling center. It is still conected to the active line but not used in years.
 #643038  by Cosmo

Can anyone lish ittell me if the roundhouse and tt at Rigby Yd in S. Portland still stand?
I explored it years ago when I lived across the river, but I've heard somewhere Guilford wanted to demolish it.
 #643058  by CVRA7

Scratch the 2-stall Grafton & Upton house at Hopedale - it was torn down earlier this winter as described in the G&U thread.
 #643071  by eman577

There was (actually still is) a turntable on the Beecher Falls Branch of the MEC just outside
No Stratford, at Lovejoys. It was used for turning the Beecher Falls plow. Don't think there
was ever a building there though. And of course, Beecher Falls had a table and enginehouse.
 #643449  by Mikejf

As of a month or so ago, the TT and what was left of the roundhouse still stand. It was about 2 years ago they said they wanted to knock it down. Hope they keep putting it off.
Mike
 #643454  by Cosmo

miketrainnut wrote:As of a month or so ago, the TT and what was left of the roundhouse still stand. It was about 2 years ago they said they wanted to knock it down. Hope they keep putting it off.
Mike
Me too! :wink:
Wonder if someone could get it on the register of historic places?