Railroad Forums 

• Salem County Line - Swedesboro to Salem - Operated by: West Jersey, SRNJ, US Rail, SMS

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#787115  by airman00

Where is that switcher going? I assume somewhere in NJ, since this thread topic is in NJ railfan section. Nice looking engine by the way. :-)
 #787157  by Kaback9

The rail line US rail bought from SRNJ in Salem.
 #787315  by chuchubob

Salem County owns the railroad, former PRR and P-RSL between Swedesboro and Salem; Salem County recently appointed US Rail as operator to replace SRNJ.
 #787420  by EDM5970

To amplify what Chuchubob has stated, SRNJ was operating the Salem line under contract; they did not own the railroad. Salem County owns the property, and selected US Rail to replace SRNJ. I'm glad to see that US Rail has seen fit to bring in some appropriate sized locomotives to operate this line with.

SRNJ's remaining operation, based at Winslow, operates over mostly leased trackage (from NJDOT) and on trackage rights over NJ Transit. SRNJ only owns a short stretch of track in Winslow, and a few miles, at most, in P'Ville.
 #787553  by airman00

so then this engine will be staying in NJ?
 #787560  by Kaback9

airman00 wrote:so then this engine will be staying in NJ?
Roger
 #787564  by airman00

well from the looks of some of the photo's, salem county has some pretty old engines as it's power. So this SW1500 seems like it will be an upgrade.
 #787628  by airman00

I get it now. Well...in either case, it's still good to see an SW1500, in NJ, since there aren't too many of them in NJ.
 #787693  by R36 Combine Coach

airman00 wrote:Well...in either case, it's still good to see an SW1500, in NJ, since there aren't too many of them in NJ.
There's also NJT 502 and Morristown & Erie 20.
 #787766  by chuchubob

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
airman00 wrote:Well...in either case, it's still good to see an SW1500, in NJ, since there aren't too many of them in NJ.
True that 502 is in NJ, but it's out of service. On the other hand, JTCX 9276 is in tip-top shape.
 #787841  by ns3010

chuchubob wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:
True that 502 is in NJ, but it's out of service. On the other hand, JTCX 9276 is in tip-top shape.
ME 20 isn't in quite as great shape as JTCX 9276, but it seem to be in pretty good shape, and it runs, and I guess that's all that matters.
 #787886  by Kaback9

20 is in the Bay Way Refienry so I don't think anyone will be seeing it unless you work there or catch a glimpse of it from the turnpike. It is mechanically good but the last time I saw it was not so clean, but hey I rather have a dirty loco that runs then a shiny new one that doesn't.
 #787892  by ns3010

Yeah, that's what I thought. I haven't seen it in a few years, but last time I saw it (and the most recent photos I could find, from 09), it's a little rusty in spots, but it runs.
 #787894  by Kaback9

It does come out for repair work, but now that 19 is up in Honesdale and 18 is needed around Morristown it will be interesting to see what they do when the time comes. I don't know if 20 has cab signals for operation on NJT, can anyone answer this?