Railroad Forums 

• Salem County Line - Swedesboro to Salem - Operated by: West Jersey, SRNJ, US Rail, SMS

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#787916  by ns3010

I saw 20 on the High Bridge Branch a few years ago. So I would assume so.

If they need something, they can always pull out 21! Actually, I'm surprised they don't use it more often. If it runs, why not?
 #788161  by RS115

20 has cab signals for running on NJT.

21 does not and while it runs I'm not sure you really want to strain it too much. The sound of the prime mover and the consistency of the exhaust suggest that some mechanical attention wouldn't be a bad thing.

There's another thread that 4216 is ultimately the engine destined for the Stourbridge line and #54 will be going back. So, 19's tenure there might be short. If it comes due for inspection before returning they might well send mechanical folks up and do it on site as they did (I believe) when 4231 was assigned to the Octoraro during it's period of M&E operation. In the short term it does leave them somewhat exposed at Morristown should 18 have a significant problem but 563 is on the property and has cab signals. I don't know what it would take to get it back in service (it's sitting east of Jefferson Road in the new run-around last I checked). There's enough stuff around that they could get something up and running quickly if the need arose - or borrow something from NS if they needed cab signals in short order - it's been done before.
 #788171  by Kaback9

Thanks for that explanation. Interesting to know a little more about whats going to be going on at Honesdale and thanks for the info on 20.
 #791279  by chuchubob

rrbluesman wrote:Why did they bring the F7s up to Winslow? I dont live in SJ anymore, but it seemed the the Fs had become a fixture in Salem.

Ed
Salem County gave the operating contract to US Rail as of last December.
 #791460  by EDM5970

As Chuchubob related, SRNJ stopped operating in Salem in December. Salem County cancelled their contract and awarded it to US Rail. This action has been documented on this forum in the past.

US Rail brought in their own power, and the SRNJ units simply were not needed anymore. There were some mechanical issues that needed to be resolved before Conrail would move them; this from a very reliable source. There were also "back office issues" alluded to on another South Jersey forum. Usually that particular term is a polite euphemism for "waiting for the check to clear".

As for the future plans for the F-7s, GP-9s and the U-18B, you'll have to ask SRNJ...
 #791576  by chuchubob

EDM5970 wrote: As for the future plans for the F-7s, GP-9s and the U-18B, you'll have to ask SRNJ...
1801 went to Pleasantville with the stone train on Saturday.
 #824273  by JJMDiMunno

Those tracks are Conrail's Salem Running Track, which sees trains 2-3 days per week. Movements over this line contain cars that are destined for interchange with SRNJ at Swedesboro.

Movements are at 10MPH.

Mike DiMunno
 #824278  by EDM5970

I don't know what reporting marks they are using, but the interchange at Swedesboro is now with US Rail, NOT with SRNJ. Has been since, what, December?
 #1007055  by bystander

So is sRNJ going back to Salem, I read about one of the Geeops going there, I thouhgt the county threw them out.