Railroad Forums 

• Salem County Line - Swedesboro to Salem - Operated by: West Jersey, SRNJ, US Rail, SMS

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#758945  by wolfboy8171981

Kaback9 wrote:
southern sec. kid wrote:are those old SDs used in the background?

No they are stored serviceable. But I don't see them coming back any time soon maybe bought up like 58 was by BRW. They are SD9's I should add.
#57 aand #52 are RCO drones. They do not have a prime mover anymore.
 #759935  by John_Henry

They were running this past Friday with the red Geep, which seemed to have gone on the ground just south of Swedesboro.
 #760271  by PVRX1

Clinch Valley,

Yes, SRNJ was always railfan friendly.

USRC took over the lease on, I believe, December 12, 2009. There is a complete press release on the Salem County website that you can read that explains the bulk of it.

USRC is leasing GP9 100 and GP10 102 for the time being, until they bring in additional power of their own.

To my knowledge only one, maybe two, SRNJ employees even applied to USRC and were hired. The rest stood put.

It is true that there are some court proceeding(s) going on, which would only be known by (and is only the business of) Joe's family, and there is no one that would know the specifics nor be able to professionally comment on them in these forums.

Jim
 #760321  by chuchubob

Trainlawyer wrote: ...(see Dr. Vogel's pictures above) ...
GME
Thank you, but I dropped out of grad school without getting a degree when the second child came along.
 #760365  by Jason

Are the F units stil down there or will they be heading to Winslow? Last time I drove thru Winslow (about a week ago) it looked like some of the cars had been moved around. Perhaps they are making room for all of the Salem locos.
 #762671  by ClinchValleySD40

With US Rail running the Salem side, is there enough left on the Winslow end to support the shortline? I'm still thinking someone else is coming in to take over, any ideas? Who else had interest before the owner passed away?
 #763472  by PVRX1

At some point U18B 1801, 44tonner 412, F7A 727, F7Z 728 have to come back to Winslow, probably in a piloted move over ConRail, led by the 102 (similar to when other units have been shuffled around). I am - speculating - that this will take place once USRC brings in some larger locomotives (the NW2 is too small for the Swedesboro turn) and returns leased 100-102. If that does not happen, then they may move seperately.

Winslow has one stone yard, three lumber yards, and the on again / off again / on again c&d transload at Pleasantville, a stone yard south of Winslow, and car storage at Winslow (which i believe mainly augments SMS Rail's needs).
 #776540  by daneknutson

As for the salem line I can say with good athourity that US rail took over, plans on operating the line, all SRNJ equipment will be eventually returned to the winslow operation. As for the Salem line there was an amount funded to improve the ROW soon and a few of SRNJ's employee's chose to stay with the new sevice provider. Most of these events took place shortly after Joe Petaccio's death, ( SRNJ's owner and one of my good friends). The Winslow operation is growing, more stone trains to both lacations are planned and there is a shotage of power to do it with out the equipment from salem. A large rehab project is planned for the Pleasantville runnin track shortly, with the addition of a large storage/passing siding. In addition the lumber business has been slowly picking up and with the hopefull return the economy that will increase to pre recession levels.
 #777462  by Mr. Ed

I am pleased that SRNJ is able to weather the loss of the Salem business and grow the Winslow operation. Now maybe if they were to take their RDC and run it from Glassboro to Camden. Wouldn't it be funny if they could do it very profitably? But we all know it would never happen. Too much red tape.

Later!
Mr. Ed
 #782458  by airman00

Hey great pictures of those 2 old switchers, chuchubob!! It's nice to see them still rolling on. I also love that old amtrack baggage car. By any chance since it's in an active rail yard, is it up for restoration? (As in being moved somewhere to be worked on)