Railroad Forums 

• Salem County Line - Swedesboro to Salem - Operated by: West Jersey, SRNJ, US Rail, SMS

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#50650  by OCtrainguy

Went out on a railfan trip through southern New Jersey with a friend of mine yesterday. One of our stops was trying to photograph the SRNJ's Salem operations. There is a photo of the SRNJ going from Swedesboro to Salem in the July 2004 issue of Railpace, and that was our inspiration.

We saw a small string of cars at Swedesboro, where they interchange with Conrail. We saw a small yard in Salem with mostly ACF cars, a few boxcars and a bulkhead flatcar with poles in it, but no motive power. The bridge nearby was a hot spot for fisherman yesterday.

Which brings my two questions. Where does the SRNJ keep there power for the Salem operations? Second, how often do they run? Any information would greatly be appreciated.
Last edited by nomis on Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#50709  by CRB

I believe the engines used on this line are kept in the Swedsboro yard.

The schedule is very erratic, but there is usually at least one run each day. Sometimes it's late morning, sometimes early afternoon, sometimes as late as 11PM. The amount of freight carried has increased each year since the line was reopened a few years ago.

Derailments have been a major problem since the rail is over 100 years old and can't carry the weight of modern freight cars.

#50802  by OCtrainguy

Okay, that explains why we didn't see them yesterday. So a best chance to see them would be when they are either working the line or going to Swedesboro to interchange with Conrail then.

#52379  by CRB

One other bit of info, I've seen the train stopped several times in Woodstown at Route 40. It's usually been on the weekend, early afternoon.

Like I said before, the schedule tends to be very irratic. But if you get lucky, that's a great spot to get a close-up look.

#52447  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

Does anyone know what the story is with the Washington Terminal RS-1 in the photos?

#52869  by PVRX

SRNJ SALEM DIVISION:

Locomotives: 100 EMD GP9, 412 GE 44ton, 727 EMD F7A, 728 EMD F7A, 1801 GE U18B. The 100 and 1801 are primary power. They are stored safely and secure within the Mannington Mills complex. You will have to catch them out on the line to photograph them.

Operations:
(1) Monday thru Saturday there is a local on duty around 0730. The local will switch Anchor Glass (3-4 cars per day), Liberty, Aluchem, Mannington Mills, Watco Railcar Repair, the telephone pole transload and food transload concerns, and do some yard work (switching depends on customer needs- Anchor is 6 days, Mannington 4-6 days).

(2) Tuesday Thursday Saturdays will see the train make a Swedesboro interchange run. This is usually done after Salem switching, so say a 10-11am departure on average. Occaisionally, the north run will be made and the switching last, sometimes switching on both sides of the Swedesboro run, all dependent on cars available and customer needs.
This is a slow run due to very slow track speeds (2-5mph) and poor track conditions. Hence, the 16+/- mile run to Swedesboro and back, with lunch and interchange moves takes about 8 hours. Tues/Thurs/Fri are 10-12 hour work days.

(3) Based on need, an interchange run may be made other days as well, there has been evening switches, there have been Sunday switches. On occaision we may do something on another line and then do Salem, or visa versa if short on available crews.

#53028  by BrianM

You can also get additional information from the web link below.

Brian
 #630796  by bystander

I just read on the surface trsnsprotation board website that the line into salem is being abbandoned by the SRNj. Did anyone here know anything aout it? I heard they wer doing good, with lots of engines and cars.
 #630809  by Chessie GM50

bystander wrote:I just read on the STB website that the line into salem is being abandoned by the SRNJ. Did anyone here know anything about it? I heard they were doing good, with lots of engines and cars.
It really dosn't matter how many engines or cars a railway has. They can always lease them, if need be.
 #630855  by NJrailfan

Where on the STB website did you see this? I would be very surpirsed if this is happening since the Delawear River Port Authority just gave the county of Salem, who owns the line and leases it to SRNJ, a large grant for improvements on the line.

Here is an article in last weeks Courier Post about it:
http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/p ... 9901230345
 #630922  by DougD

As NJRailfan said, SRNJ can't abandon the Salem line as it is owned by Salem County. A company named "Salem Industrial Railway, Inc." located in Salem NJ did file a notice of exemption on 1/27 with the Surface transportation board. Basically stating that SRNJ does not want to renew its lease of the line from Salem County who own the line and that they will become operator of the line . There was a post on the SJRA forum that this is possibly a false filing. I don't know why someone would do that though, hmmm...

You can find the filing here: http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... e?openform

Doug D.
 #631206  by JJMDiMunno

It is confirmed from SRNJ employees and management that this was a false filing. SRNJ has no intention of abandoning or in any way giving up service on the Salem Running Track south of Swedesboro.

Why someone would want to do this, I don't know...but they did.

Mike DiMunno
Last edited by JJMDiMunno on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #631208  by JJMDiMunno

Pinewald Station wrote:What businesses/customers are on that line? There is a power plant in Salem? Is that on the line?
Current primary customers are Anchor Glass (in Salem, on the Port Industrial), Mannington Mills (just north of Salem), and South Jersey Farmers Exchange (in Woodstown).

The power plant is not currently a railroad customer.

Mike DiMunno