Railroad Forums 

• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1558881  by wally

really enjoy your street-running videos.
 #1561203  by ut-1

Here's UT-1 yesterday morning on Schuyler Street, where a surprised motorist decided it best not to share the road with 3040 and its three-car freight, and switching Oneida Warehouse in nearby New Hartford on former NYO&W tracks

#1565423  by JoeCollege

This thread has great videos but little actual discussion of this largely-dormant line.

Could we perhaps spin off a new Utica Branch Video Thread?
 #1565481  by johnpbarlow

The videos are what keep this discussion thread alive. There isn't much, if anything, to talk about re: the moribund portion of the line. Track between Chenango Forks and Sherburne has been out-of-service for a years and apparently no shipper, or NYS&W for that matter, is seeking the line's restoration. Would make a nice excursion line...
 #1565483  by Ken Rice

Agreed, the videos keep this thread alive. They’re actually how I discovered this line (thanks ut-1 !) and the fascinating New York Mills and New Hartford industrial tracks and industries.
 #1565789  by JoeCollege

Fine, I concede. But this thread is no longer about the now moribund and largely dormant line and its potential, and there's no such activity for there is none to be had. The thread is now entirely about most excellent videos of street running and small branches in Utica, and trips to Sangerfield. I see new posts and am ever hopeful for an actual update of restoration of the line, only to see videos of yet another bozo who has yet to figure out that the presence of tracks in his street and the daily movement of trains on said tracks are a fairly good indication that a train may come along. Which does make for fun and interesting video, and street running is always fun to watch.

So I'll sit down and shut up now. :-D