Railroad Forums 

• Oldest locomotive operating on a Class 1 or commuter line?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#323561  by scottychaos

Aji-tater wrote:WRONG!!!! D-L is certainly NOT a Class I.
We are no longer discussing class 1's only.
scroll up 11 messages..you missed it.

Scot

#323609  by 2spot

Thanx for the clarification, Scot.
There is an EMD switcher working locally that might (barely) qualify. Pope & Talbot 915 was rebuilt by EMD in 2/58 as an SW900m, but was built as CRI&P 514, an SW model built originally in 3/38. It ought to make the list as its still a 900HP SW series switcher. Sorry, no photo as photos are not allowed of any of T&Ps internal operations. It switches a pulp mill in Nanaimo, BC.

#323633  by Engineer James

I hafta say 1935, is OLD! and still in operation for a class 1 is otherwise extraordinary.....

#323761  by MEC407

Not a Class I... but D-L does have pretty steady business as far as I can tell, and quite the little museum of exotic power. (Mostly Alco.)

#323776  by Engineer James

Anthing older? :-D

#330313  by tocfan

The CN still operates the prototype SD40 that originally was a GM&O unit. That would be the oldest second generation power out there. No one has mentioned the Ohio Central, they have some pretty exotic stuff including at least 1 SW1 and those 2 FM's. Interesting note on those. I visited the OC in 2004 and got to go in the cab of one of the FM and the OC employee there answered my question about if they were planning to make them operational by stating at they had a bunch of the needed parts already ordered from FM.

Limiting to class 1's, I gotta vote for UP 844 even though I am not a UP fan. However I suspect there is a switcher out there that may be older than 844's 1941 build date that is still nosing around on some class 1's property. I agree with a previous comment that if UP got into a power shortage situation and 844 or 3985 was available, they would be earning their keep.

Mike Fleming
Bartlett, Tn

#330820  by 2spot

tocfan wrote:The CN still operates the prototype SD40 that originally was a GM&O unit. That would be the oldest second generation power out there.
Mike Fleming
Bartlett, Tn
CN is down to one original SD-40 from a roster of 241 (5000 - 5240), following the retirement of 5232 in August. The remaining SD-40 is #5000, stored unserviceable. CN #5000 was built in 1967. I believe the EMD demonstrators were built in 1965. If it helps, the 5000s were built by GMD.

#330828  by Jtgshu

The SD40 tocfan is referring to is a former IC unit, 6071 i believe it is........it hasn't been retired yet, has it? I thought i saw a pic of it from a few months back in service (and leading!!) on either railpictures or rrpicturearchieves, i don't remember

#330930  by USRailFan

There was a mention in TRAINS about two years ago, about a former Interurban somewhere in the midwest that still use 1920s-vintage electric motors in revenue service.

#332512  by c604.

I think Metra still has an ex-Rock Island SW1, I don't know the year built though.

#332576  by octr202

It even got to run in revenue passenger service not too long ago...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=109912