• Oldest locomotive operating on a Class 1 or commuter line?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by TB Diamond

Should any of the E and F units in business train service be included? Possibly there are a few left on the Class I lines.

by ENR3870

Both CN and CP have GP7's, GP9's, and SW1200's from the 1950's on their rosters. Although all have been extensively rebuilt over the years. We use GP9's on everything from Beltpack yard jobs to locals on the main line.

by Engineer James

Also, why NOT the Beep? It was an Ex VO-1000. I mean what does a 1950's kitbash have to do with it.

by rdganthracite

Wouldn't the Northern and the Challenger on the UP classify as the oldest? They both are over 60 years old.

by Engineer James

Yes, but those are used as excursion locos for UP. There has to be one.

by SSW9389

A 1950s kitbash has nothing to do with it. You have hit the nail on the head again. The Beep was rebuilt from a VO1000 in 1970 at the Cleburne Shops. The only thing remaining from the VO1000 is the Baldwin frame and cab. Source of data The Santa Fe Diesel Volume One by Dr. Cinthia Priest. :wink:
Engineer James wrote:Also, why NOT the Beep? It was an Ex VO-1000. I mean what does a 1950's kitbash have to do with it.

by pennsy

Yo James,

Essentially correct, but # 844 and #3985 are on the list of available engines for Union Pacific. Many a time these steamers were placed into service to fill a need for UP, at a moment's notice. Sometimes there is a diesel failure on a freight and # 844 and her train was right behind it. Yup, she would be directed to push the sick freight to safety. Normal occurence. # 844 has always been on the UP roster of available engines, never was off it. So she gets my vote for the oldest engine still under steam, in revenue service. Yup, she still makes money.

by NHRDC121

Did we forget Metro-North 413? Origionally GM&O 880A, F-3 blt in Dec., 1946. It's 60 years old next month and still active, AFAIK. AND, it's a lot closer to "origional" than that AT&SF "Beep".

by dansapo

Norfolk Southern still has some SW-1's on the roster.
#1002 Build date 4-47
http://www.nslocos.com/ns1002.html

by U-Haul

I think those SW1s are retired.

by MEC407

I'm fairly certain that NS doesn't have those SW1s anymore. Not sure where they ended up, though.

Up until about 2001 or 2002, Guilford had an SW1 that was built in 1949, which they used as a shop switcher at Waterville.

The oldest locomotive currently in service on Guilford (now Pan Am) is a GP7 built in 1950 (ST 12).

by 2spot

CN/IC #100 is an E8A built 12/1949. Its used regularly by EHH on the business train, as power on the dynomometer train. I dont know how often its used but I have the impression its fairly regular. Is Guildford a class1 or a regional?

by dansapo

MEC407 wrote:I'm fairly certain that NS doesn't have those SW1s anymore. Not sure where they ended up, though.

Up until about 2001 or 2002, Guilford had an SW1 that was built in 1949, which they used as a shop switcher at Waterville.

The oldest locomotive currently in service on Guilford (now Pan Am) is a GP7 built in 1950 (ST 12).
Ok
NS did retire the last SW1 (#1002)last year.It now works for RJ Corman

by Engineer James

#844 still on active? That's interesting. How do they still supply her with coal and water since there are no more water tanks, or I don't think UP has any coaling towers left do they?

by MEC407

2spot wrote:Is Guildford a class1 or a regional?
It's a regional... but you have to admit that 56-year-old locomotives are not a particularly common sight on big regionals anymore! Regionals like MRL and FEC, which are similar in size to Pan Am (formerly Guilford), are getting brand new EMDs.