Railroad Forums 

• Oldest locomotive operating on a Class 1 or commuter line?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#322678  by pennsy

Hi James,

# 3985 and # 844, both use oil, not coal. They also use extra tenders, all in Armour Yellow, behind their normal tender for extra water.

One normally finds it hard to believe, but # 844, Union Pacific's active Northern, was NEVER off their active roster. She was always Union Pacific property. And she was NEVER retired.

#322757  by Engineer James

Well, I guess for those Western lines, steamers were the way to go. I know #844 was renumbered #8444 because of a diesel, and then after the diesel was retired she was give back her origional #844 back. But, what type of oil does she use? Also, where do they fill up the oil and the water?

#322760  by pablo

I'm sure they likely fill her up anywhere there's a road. I'm not sure what type of oil that's used, but I know that a truck can pull up anywhere.

Dave Becker

#322946  by GOLDEN-ARM

#2 heating oil can be used, and as for water, any fire hydrant will suffice, if you don't want to call out a fire engine, that is. Most road locos running steam trips carry an adapter, and set of wrenches, for "procurring" water at a hydrant.

#322974  by scottychaos

Thanks everyone!
very interesting stuff..
NHRDC121 wrote:Did we forget Metro-North 413? Origionally GM&O 880A, F-3 blt in Dec., 1946. It's 60 years old next month and still active, AFAIK. AND, it's a lot closer to "origional" than that AT&SF "Beep".
I think thats our winner! :P
a 60-year olf F-unit, still toiling away in day-to-day regular service..

I know there are a lot of ways to define this..but IMO I cant count the two UP steamers, because they arent in "regular" service..they are special cases. 844 isnt out hauling freight every day, but Metro North 413 *is* working every day. and I cant count the "beep" either, because its too far gone..the "beep" was built in 1970, it is not a Baldwin VO1000...

you may pick any winner you like! :wink:
my winner is that F-unit.

ok then..so what if we remove the "class 1" qualifier and make it ANY railroad? shortlines or industrials included. (but not tourist lines or museums)

We have five Alco HH switchers from the class of 1940 still on the Relco roster, still out there doing the job for which they were built.

http://yardlimit.railfan.net/alco/existing/index.html

Scot

#322985  by MEC407

Just a note on the MetroNorth 413: it is now classified as an F10, and was rebuilt quite extensively to obtain that status. There probably isn't much in it, aside from the trucks and carbody, that are from the original F3. Nevertheless, it's quite an oldie.

Moving on to ancient locos in service for roads that aren't in the Class I category:

Buffalo & Pittsburgh has an NW2 built in 1942.

Dakota & Iowa has an SW8 from 1952 that was rebuilt from an NW from 1938.

Delaware-Lackawanna has an SC from 1935.

#323143  by Engineer James

Scot, sorry buudy, but I have to say NO. Here is an excerp about the beep.

http://atsf.railfan.net/beep/

And it says plainly in the start of the 3rd Paragraph That it started as ATSF VO-1000 #2220 built in July 1943.....

Not origionally a VO-1000 eh?

#323191  by pablo

Scot didn't say it wasn't ORIGINALLY a VO-1000. No one is questioning that. Scot's point is that the unit is radically altered from what it orginally was, that it no longer fits his criteria for the oldest orginal unit operating on a Class 1, or some similar topic.

Dave Becker

#323194  by Aji-tater

James read the NEXT sentence; "the Baldwin hood, engine, electrical and control gear and switcher trucks were discarded." The frame was modified to make the engine and trucks fit. The cab was modified to fit different windows.

If I take a Corvette, make it into a 4-seater, remove the fiberglass body and put a Fairlane body on it and a Ford 428 under the hood, can I still call it a Corvette?

#323214  by Lirr168

I Have to side with Aji-tater et al. on this one, James. Yes, any locomotive that has been around that long must have been rebuilt, as in the case of the MNCR F3/10. However, in that case, the original components and carbody are more or less intact and it still operates literally everyday in SLE or MOW service. Your Beep was not only completely rebuilt from the ground up, but it definitely does not see the road service that the F-unit does.

I know we didn't start this thread to pick a "winner," so don't get too bent out of shape, but if we had to pick one, I side with the MNCR unit.

-Kyle

#323287  by Engineer James

ok, i'll agree.. I thought Scot said that the Beep was NEVER a VO-1000

#323403  by 2spot

I dunno about MNCR 413. While its longevity is impressive, Metro North might not qualify as a class 1. I believe the topic was 'oldest locomotive still operating on a class 1'. I'll pose the same question: Is Metro North a class 1 ?
Perhaps we should first decide which lines constitute a class 1 ?

#323406  by scottychaos

2spot wrote:I dunno about MNCR 413. While its longevity is impressive, Metro North might not qualify as a class 1. I believe the topic was 'oldest locomotive still operating on a class 1'. I'll pose the same question: Is Metro North a class 1 ?
Perhaps we should first decide which lines constitute a class 1 ?
problem solved! :wink:

Scot

#323411  by scottychaos

MEC407 wrote: Delaware-Lackawanna has an SC from 1935.
looks like this might be our ultimate winner!
1935 vintage is pretty impressive, 71 years old!
Delaware Lackawanna #426, EMC SC.

http://yardlimit.railfan.net/early/emc/psc/dl426-ed.jpg

Its original engine has been replaced, but is otherwise basically complete.
anyone know if she is regularly used?

Scot

#323553  by Aji-tater

WRONG!!!! D-L is certainly NOT a Class I.