Railroad Forums 

• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1051436  by H.F.Malone

He probably thinks his super-macho Ram is the toughest thing on four wheels.... but, that loco has 8 wheels and another 125 tons on that tin-can Tonka truck! Wonder how much a mirror costs for one of those things? Good thing the train crew was in a good mood that day.

One engineer at VRR had a cute technique for vehicles parked too close to the track (like at Chester Marina)--- he tossed a full scoop of coal in thru the open window! VRR management did frown on that, though. Puff, Puff.
 #1051438  by H.F.Malone

Yes, NAUG delivered that freight car. In 1999, actually. It's an MEC 50-footer, sold to Blue Seal Feeds for storage. The side track is not in service now.
 #1052377  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

FC 75 started christening those new Thompson #305 caps today in Northwest Connecticut with a historic trip north to Torrington. This is the first time a steam engine has operated in Torrington since 1948! Thanks to the Gramlings for helping make this historic event possible. It surely is great to have them back for another year.

Please visit rmne.org for more information regarding FC 75's visit.
 #1052426  by runningwithscalpels

3rd Gen. Brakeman wrote:FC 75 started christening those new Thompson #305 caps today in Northwest Connecticut with a historic trip north to Torrington. This is the first time a steam engine has operated in Torrington since 1948! Thanks to the Gramlings for helping make this historic event possible. It surely is great to have them back for another year.

Please visit rmne.org for more information regarding FC 75's visit.
Sadface that I was at work in Cheshire to miss that, although I do plan on coming down on either Sunday or next weekend.

The Register Citizen had an article about the trip to Torrington today:
The Railroad Museum of New England and the Naugatuck Railroad Company trudged up the tracks Thursday from Thomaston on a steam engine, burning real coal, to bring heritage awareness and rail freight discussions to Torrington.
 #1052678  by Otto Vondrak

http://www.rep-am.com/news/local/647333.txt
Bringing back the track
Train may haul more than memories
BY ALEC JOHNSON REPUBLICAN-AMERICAN

THOMASTON--A rumbling diesel train engine crept north at the speed of a brisk walk on rails between Thomaston Dam and East Litchfield Thursday morning as Howard Pincus walked alongside, checking the tracks. In tow, a hissing coal-fired steam engine, designed for short distances, originally used for switching cars in coal mines or rail yards, spat soot-coated water vapor. The destination — Torrington.
 #1052735  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

runningwithscalpels wrote:I'm sure the Republican's article was better than the Register's. I miss the days they didn't have their online content behind a paywall >_<
The Register's wasn't too terribly bad, but someone had to clear up a few things in the comment section.
 #1053010  by runningwithscalpels

3rd Gen. Brakeman wrote:
runningwithscalpels wrote:I'm sure the Republican's article was better than the Register's. I miss the days they didn't have their online content behind a paywall >_<
The Register's wasn't too terribly bad, but someone had to clear up a few things in the comment section.
They fixed the headline because of my comment :P I'm just surprised there weren't more trolls and whining because, y'know, it's the Register...but anyhoo...back on topic :)
 #1054368  by Cosmo

csor2010 wrote:In case anyone was wondering what happened to the F7s after they left the Naugy, the former CDOT 6690/6691 have been unveiled in their new ATSF dress: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 162&nseq=0
Wow,.. well, they certainly DO look pretty,... and HEP to boot!~ :razz:
Kinda remind me of the older Bachmann HO F-9 sets. :wink:
 #1054688  by Otto Vondrak

csor2010 wrote:In case anyone was wondering what happened to the F7s after they left the Naugy, the former CDOT 6690/6691 have been unveiled in their new ATSF dress: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 162&nseq=0

The paint's okay, but the numberboards are so wrong. Oh and these were Espee units, not Santa Fe, but whatever. My HO scale Bachmann F9's live on!!!

-otto-
 #1054694  by EDM5970

Never mind the departed diesels-

Just a reminder that this is the last weekend (6/16, 6/17) to ride behind Flagg Coal 75 on the Naugy. For such a small engine, 75 puts on a good show with the three CN heavyweights. (And Otto and I posted at the same time-)