Railroad Forums 

• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#38758  by Otto Vondrak

What are the plans for the Naugatuck through the end of summer? How goes construction on the shop lead? Any more restoration work on Thomaston Station?

-otto-
 #38932  by H.F.Malone

Can you say "Thomas"??? He just arrived this afternoon, so that is what will be taking up all the time and effort until he leaves on August 16.

Meanwhile, track work has been ongoing (inserting ties, etc.), the Rutland boxcar was prepped and painted, shop foundation was poured, etc. Just the usual stuff.

The only thing new on the station right now is the three new station signs.

#39031  by joshuahouse

Just how does Thomas travel from place to place? Is it just cuppled in behind the locomotive consist when it leaves where ever it was last like locomotives that are powered down for shipping, does it ride a flat car (or a flat bed even) or does it go in a boxcar?

#39101  by Otto Vondrak

Glad progress is being made on the shop and all... and Thomas should be a good shot in the arm too. I'm sending some friends up this weekend with their kids to visit the Naugy and Thomas..

-otto-
 #39108  by ATK

Good God! If Thomas traveled in a train consist from event to event, this would lead us to ask two very important questions:

1) Would Thomas actually get there (i.e. in a timely fashion)?
2) Would Thomas get there in one piece?!?!?

I can see it now: Thomas' latest adventure -- "Thomas goes over the hump in Selkirk!!!" And you know that CSX would do it to! Thomas going over the hump would be followed by a cut of 10 stone cars down the same yard track on top of Thomas. Crunch!!!

NO! Thankfully, Thomas has his own little special flat bed truck which hauls him from place to place! Actually, the trick is carefully loading and unloading Thomas off the truck so that he doesn't get damaged.

BTW, hey Otto, when you coming back to visit us again???

#39148  by joshuahouse

I've never actually seen the Thomas engine, so I don't know much about it. 10 small children are about as many as i can stand at a time, so i stay away from those events.

#39283  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

I hand spiked 85 ties in preparation for Thomas. Also a new head on the tamper was installed today, what a challenge lol. [/quote]
Last edited by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652 on Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #39337  by H.F.Malone

Was that in "persperation" for or in "preparation" for the little blue guy??

And joshuahouse, don't worry, after the first 10 little darlings, you learn to tune 'em out!! Don't forget, some of the mommys aren't too tough on the eyes!!

Thomas is our friend!!!

Otto: No Thomas THIS weekend---- festivities start Friday Aug. 6th. Be there, aloha!!

#39430  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

Well it could be either lol, but I meant preparation.
 #40173  by omar

Having seen TTT roll off the flatbed - I can equivalently say that it travelled faster down the ramp than it will be travelling on the Naugy!

The Little Blue Bugger can move.

#40178  by Steam

Is Thomas diesel/gas propelled? We take it he's not actually steam!

Or are we wrong? Please elaborate for those of us who are Thomas-challenged!

#40188  by ATK

Thomas is powered by a diesel, as in coupled on the south end of the train opposite a U23B or RS-3 (whatever we might be running). The Thomas is on the south end for pictures (in perfect light), the real locomotive is on the north end of the train, out of sight from the kids. Train runs in a push/pull fashion.

#40226  by DutchRailnut

actually there are 3 thomas engines, one diesel made out of a whitcomb I believe.
no 2 is real steam unit made by Strasburg railroad, very neat as cab folds up and so does stack and now it fits on its lowboy trailer.
number 3 is a dummy steam engine also made bt strasburg rr.
 #40329  by H.F.Malone

Dutch--

The "diesel" Thomas no longer exists-- it was built by Nat'l Rwy Museum (Green Bay), and was the first replica Thomas in the US. As the events became more popular, the Strasburg was contracted to build 3-4 unpowered replicas, one of which is owned by Green Bay (their diesel replica was then dismantled). Green Bay has the "franchise" for DOWT events in Wisconsin and the East Coast; the Thomas at the Naugy is the Green Bay one. Others are owned by IRM (covers the midwest) and at least one outfit on the west coast. There is also a 3-ft gage Thomas (don't remember where).

Strasburg rebuilt the BEDT 0-6-0T into the only real steam Thomas, and SRC owns and supplies that one (for a fee) to DOWT operators who want the real steam loco. The steam loco costs considerably more to use than the replica unpowered Thomas.
 #40482  by CVRA7

In addition to the above, there also is a 2-foot gauge Thomas that has appeared at Edaville, and I heard it is owned by Edaville as well.