• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by CannaScrews

Speaking of the Thomaston Station - it has been placed on the Connecticut Historic Trust (or something like that) Register, so it is now eligible for grants for its restoration.

From what I hear, an architect will be contracted to provide the project scope for the restoration.

Things are moving, albeit slowly, but it beats what the station was in 1994 - no roof, fire damage.

Oh yes, the sliding door on the west side has been mercifully placed back in the barn so the cows are not able to wander into the corn. In its place are two restored original doors.
  by Reader#108

I was there on Saturday.......

The place looks FABULOUS.....the walls are in and painted, the floor looks like it was laquered....

It is a far cry from the in process project it was last year. KUDOS to all at the RMNE
  by runningwithscalpels

3rd Gen. Brakeman wrote:If you talk to certain folks in Torrington, they'd be with you on that commuter service. I'd say it's rather unlikely
Heh, I'd be one of those delusional people who wants to see it, although I doubt in my lifetime!
  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

runningwithscalpels wrote:
3rd Gen. Brakeman wrote:If you talk to certain folks in Torrington, they'd be with you on that commuter service. I'd say it's rather unlikely
Heh, I'd be one of those delusional people who wants to see it, although I doubt in my lifetime!
HAHA! Well, I figured you might be a little wacky with a name like "Runningwithscalpels"!
  by runningwithscalpels

3rd Gen. Brakeman wrote:
runningwithscalpels wrote:
HAHA! Well, I figured you might be a little wacky with a name like "Runningwithscalpels"!
Nod to my intended career path :)
  by CannaScrews

A nice day for some trackwork on the Naugy.

Yellow is mellow. Beats using hand tools.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

Today, 24MAY2012, saw tree and brush clearing/control north from Thomaston Dam to East Litchfield. This is a continuation of work that had been done before to reopen the north end of the line as a result of the damage caused by the snowstorm of October 2011.

The official operating season begins on Sunday!
  by CannaScrews

Sheesh! Another lurker.

1 Tie crane, 1 TC-30, 4 people cleared trees from MP11 to MP14.5 or so, before fatigue set in for the crew.

Need to do - MP14.5-MP 15 - approx 8-10 small benders, circa MP 16 - about 4.

Thence - clear the flangeways at Iffland Pond Rd, Dump Road -er- Vista Drive. The tie crane managed to bull its way through.

The Hi-rail had a little tougher going.

Nice day on the Naugy overall.
  by H.F.Malone

Once again, Flagg Coal 75 will be arriving at Railroad Museum of New England on June 6 for a two-week visit. Public trips will operate on Friday, Saturday and Sunday--- June 8, 9, 10 and 15, 16, and 17. Schedule and on-line ticket sales at: www.rmne.org.

We always look forward to hosting the Gramlings and #75, and we all enjoy experiencing the sounds, smells and sights of steam power on the Naugatuck Railroad.

Come on out and visit, and see 75 handle 3 CNR coaches, see CV caboose 4014, see the nice new interior of Thomaston station!

There will be many brand new Thompson caps being inaugurated those days, being properly anointed with "magic dust" from 75.

Be there! Aloha!
  by Otto Vondrak

Order Board posted:

http://naugy.blogspot.com/2012/05/order ... -june.html
B&M 1732, GP9 –The locomotive remains on the pit, with the cleanout and hood removal preparation continuing. Scott Lent continues the preparation of the rebuilt 567 C prime mover for installation.

NAUG 2203, U23B – The additional new circuit cards and some control stand rewiring by Andy Kromer has returned the locomotive to service.

NH (RMNE) 2019, FL9 – The locomotive was returned to service in late March and used to power the recent Haight/Brown Vineyard Vintage Express train.
I'm sorry I don't have any photos to post.

-otto-
RMNE Volunteer
  by runningwithscalpels

Otto Vondrak wrote:Order Board posted:

http://naugy.blogspot.com/2012/05/order ... -june.html
B&M 1732, GP9 –The locomotive remains on the pit, with the cleanout and hood removal preparation continuing. Scott Lent continues the preparation of the rebuilt 567 C prime mover for installation.

NAUG 2203, U23B – The additional new circuit cards and some control stand rewiring by Andy Kromer has returned the locomotive to service.

NH (RMNE) 2019, FL9 – The locomotive was returned to service in late March and used to power the recent Haight/Brown Vineyard Vintage Express train.
I'm sorry I don't have any photos to post.

-otto-
RMNE Volunteer
Otto - or anyone else for that matter: the "proposed Torrington operation" on the 7th...is there a timeframe for that and is it anything I would be able to see depending on where its being done? Or are you finally taking those C1's by Albert St so I have nothing to look at? ;)
  by CannaScrews

In the "what is parking too close to the tracks mean?" category.

Note - the dummy didn't even move his pickup. And it is in violation of the CT law requiring 2 license plates (front & back).

Note 2 - In addition to the documenting the obvious safety hazard, the locomotive was stopped & the crew briefed before the image was made. That's why the three bozos were watching.

Maybe next time - the snowplow....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by chrisnewhaven

Were on the Naugy was this and was that freight car delivered to this company?
C.J.V.
  by RonM

Well, you didn't ask but my caption submission for the photo is...

If you can't DODGE 'em, RAM 'em!!!!!!