Railroad Forums 

• NARS - National Academy of Railroad Sciences

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#596772  by scoonie79

I recently completed the conductor training program NARS academy in Overland Park, Ks. I have applied for a conductor trainee position in St. Louis, Mo with BNSF. I got a 93 percent on my final exam and i know you have to have at least a 90 to be considered with BNSF. I was wondering if anyone knew if i had a great chance of getting hired. I mean i dont have any criminal convictions or traffic tickets and i have over 13 years of solid work history. Does anyone know about what the percentage is of people getting hired who have completed a conductor training school?
 #596838  by EricL

I don't know if this is still the case, but they used to list something to this effect on all conductor postings:
"Preference will be given to graduates of the NARS conductor program."
You probably have a good shot at getting in. But, it all depends on how many they are hiring for your location, and when. You may have found out while you were at the school that new hire classes are scheduled way ahead of time. Those predetermined schedules are based upon anticipated retirements/attrition/etc., so the predictions do not always pan out to be exactly right. For all the time they spend putting those schedules together, they can and do cancel/create new hire classes at the drop of a hat.

Basically, the amount of time between a job posting and the actual class starting can vary greatly. It might not hurt to put a bug in the ear of your recruiter or (preferably) HR rep, if you have their contact info, and see if you can find anything out.
 #610036  by tenbaker

Guys, I know alot of you want to go to NARS to get a foot in the door. My advise, don't do it!!!!!!!!!!

I did it 2 1/2 years ago, and yes, I did get hired on with BNSF, but I've spent half my time being cut-off/furloughed. I have heard from numerous folks that it really doesn't matter to BNSF, because they really are concentrating on hiring local folks anyways.

Plus with the economy, and the job cuts ALL the railroads are doing, you are going to need at LEAST 3 years senoirity to even hold a job system wide.

Take a look at all the railroads, none of the are hiring for train service.

When I went to NARS, there where 75 of us at one time. Take that 9-10 times a year at 6k per person, you do the math.

The BNSF is making a killing off of guys whom in reality probably can't afford to quit there current job, and go to NARS to be givin the run-around. (some may be able to take a leave of absence, but most won't, not seven weeks!)

When I went to NARS, I had 5 different instructors for the six week course. Eveyone said there is more trains than people to run them. Now I know no one could predict the future about our economy, but even over 2 years ago when I was finished with training, guess what, go home, we will call you when we need you.

I also know location plays a part in it, if you will work steady or not.

Bottom line, the BNSF is making record profits, why help them by going to NARS.
 #610048  by dieseldog

AMEN!!! Man why didn't you post this about 4 months ago...LOL. Anyone thinking about attending needs to re-read the first post. What is said is absolutly true. Oh they'll paint a rosey picture for yah before the checks been cashed, but after its in
the bank look out. Sure BNSF will pick a hand full of people from the class, but the rest of us saps are left to stand on the side lines trying to figure out what to do next. Make no mistake, I have no sense of entitlement, but its hard not to feel you have a
greater advantage attending a choo choo U. Truth is if you sell yourself well enough during a hiring session, all that money could have been better spent elsewhere...not adding to Rose's bottom line.
 #610363  by resauto

....Were hiring everywhere at KCS.....Im gettin 9-13 starts a half, I guess I made the right choice when I came here instead of BNSF.... were ususally always shorthanded and I love it, makes me rich :wink:......Oh and I went to NARS and Im getting reimburrsed for it the next 5 years....well 4 now since i got my 1st check last feb. 5500 bux every feb 20! till 2012 gotta love it!
 #610527  by tenbaker

I'm happy for you, since your getting rich, I would save your money. I have a feeling the party is about to end. Sorry.
 #610567  by conductbud64

Resauto

Please explain how you are getting reimburrsed for it the next 5 years?
 #610665  by resauto

tenbaker wrote:I'm happy for you, since your getting rich, I would save your money. I have a feeling the party is about to end. Sorry.
not for me.....SENIORITY :-D ..sorry if you dont have it. good luck.
 #610668  by resauto

conductbud64 wrote:Resauto

Please explain how you are getting reimburrsed for it the next 5 years?
When I hired on, KCS was reimbursing those who went to NARS. The ones who hired on before us and a class or 2 after us receive a 5500 check on our seniority date for 5 years. Were not the biggest...but we ARE still working. No furloughs...yet at least....and we are short handed. Same shit diff railroad, but our Mexico ties our keeping trains rolling. The Mid-south guys are working everyday to and the yard extra board gets 5-7 starts a week. I can hold 2 locals and all 3 boards here. Guys keep going to engineers class and I keep moving up :P
 #611201  by route_rock

IC&E and DM&E are hiring, as are a few shortlines.Big boys overhired is all I can say. Lifes a bitch and thats what happens in a seniority based job.Jump on a short line somewhere.
 #618277  by SantaFeGuy

You'll have a great chance, but not for a while. There's guys on the furlough board all over the system. So here's what you have to do. Given that classes have been cancelled all over the system, your application will time out after 6 months. When it does, put it back in and keep doing so. The way this economy looks you may have to do this two times, maybe three. But if you do, at some point, you'll get the call. They have a hard time keeping people in St. Louis when the times pick up. That's because a lot of guys like to make the big money and you can make a good living in St. Louis, but if you want the $4000 halves, you have to be out on the Transcon, Northern Lines, or down in Texas, and guys head out that way. BTW, St. Louis is a great place to work for BNSF. Good people there, that's where I started. Good location too, right off I-44. But be determined and hang in there. Until you get called, do what you have to, to make a buck. There won't be hiring for probably a year, but when they DO start, they are going to need a ton of personnel, because they are short everywhere, and in 2010 there will be a TON of retirements. In St. Louis I believe they'll be losing about 40% of the train crew personel to retirements.
 #620927  by kchunter

NARS IS A JOKE!!!!!! No rr cares if you have been there. I graduated in aug of 2008 and there were so many conductor jobs I thought for sure I would get one. I applied for 63 most with bnsf but also with kcs, cxs and up and got denied for all of them. What I would like to know is what is the percentage of people that take this class and get a job. There were two classes going on when I went 23 in mine and 24 in the other only 3 in my class got offers and I heard one of them was told he was going to be furlough. I live in Kansas and my wife works for jccc were nars is so I got a deal but those who live out of state. Well let’s add it up most like me will have to quit their jobs not a good thing right now, drive to Kansas at 3.00 a gallon at that time live in a hotel at 250. A week for 6 or 7 weeks, and eat out every day O and pay to for the class 6000.00. And then be told in the first week after you can’t get you money back O BY THE WAY YOU ARE NOT GARNETED A JOB. If you are thinking about going to nars DON’T just apply you have the same chance or may be better then someone who took the class.
 #620939  by slchub

dieseldog wrote:AMEN!!! Man why didn't you post this about 4 months ago...LOL. Anyone thinking about attending needs to re-read the first post. What is said is absolutly true. Oh they'll paint a rosey picture for yah before the checks been cashed, but after its in
the bank look out. Sure BNSF will pick a hand full of people from the class, but the rest of us saps are left to stand on the side lines trying to figure out what to do next. Make no mistake, I have no sense of entitlement, but its hard not to feel you have a
greater advantage attending a choo choo U. Truth is if you sell yourself well enough during a hiring session, all that money could have been better spent elsewhere...not adding to Rose's bottom line.
This issue has been brought up several times by the guys who work for the Class 1's and ADVISED against paying for your training. I written about it at least three times since 2004. Anyone who is truly intent upon seeking out a new career should always endeavor to research as much as possible before paying out any sums of money for training in which there is no guarantee of a job, only an interview. While many career fields do require technical training which must be learned before being able to work in the field, the RR industry is such a small field that you cannot readily take those skills learned and use it in another field.

It would behoove anyone looking into the RR as a career to look at all of the posts over the past 5 years here in this forum.

Good luck.
 #621005  by conductbud64

Kchunter

I agree with you.
Last edited by conductbud64 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.