Railroad Forums 

• NARS - National Academy of Railroad Sciences

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1312522  by dhook97

Hello everyone. I am new here and trying to figure some things out. I am currently a senior in high school and I have wanted to work on the railroads for most of my life. I was wondering if I should try to go to one of the schools when I graduate or just try to get on by myself? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
 #1315900  by Philly117

dhook97 wrote:Hello everyone. I am new here and trying to figure some things out. I am currently a senior in high school and I have wanted to work on the railroads for most of my life. I was wondering if I should try to go to one of the schools when I graduate or just try to get on by myself? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I was considering doing the same thing before I joined the military. From a lot of the feedback that I see from people, it doesn't seem like a wise choice but I guess that depends on the job you are targeting specifically. I am not the person to talk anybody out of any sort of additional training. In the long run can you really consider it a waste of time. I wouldn't for the simple fact that you learned something out of it. The amount of money involved is what steers somebody away. If it gets your foot in the door I say, Why not? I see a lot of people struggle over this same decision. I hope you have better luck!