• NARS - National Academy of Railroad Sciences

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Choo Choo wanabee

I wouldn't say that it was all a waste of time,or I didn't learn anything,but BNSF missled people into thinking they would get a better chance at a job with them or another railroad.If this was fair,wouldn't you be employed by a railroad by now?Even if BNSF hires only women and minorities everyone they hire will not be qualified to be a conductor.Only time will weed people out as in any workforce.I think if they were being fair and honest with people that they would ask former qualifying students about their job status and try to help them get placed.It's not right to just take the money and run in this instance,simply because they have made referece to the fact that people need to go there to get a better chance of employment with BNSF.I say,if the 2006 students got better treatment than the 2007 students,that's not right,and I'm sure things have changed at NARS to where BNSF sees this a just a way to make lots of money,not to get a qualified workforce like it started out to be.

by PSNOUS

I dunno. If I am not extended an offer in 08 then I will give up...........I feel I will though. I could have possibly had one already but I'm holding out for a job local to me and I know the hiring schedule for my area so we'll see what happens.

by Choo Choo wanabee

Well,today there are two new primary recall positions to apply to,one was where we talked about when I interviewed.We'll se if this does any good,but I won't be holding my breath.They probably will try to place more minorities first.But I guess everyone needs a job.

by PSNOUS

Yea, I applied as soon as I seen it. A training coordinator told me there will be classes in March, April, May, and July. So we'll see what happens.........

by dirtbrother

Choo Choo wanabee wrote:Well son,call it what you want to about not being qualified,but I've been around the block a time or two and a heavy equipment operator for 20 years so I'll bet I'm just as qualified or better than most,plus I have been self-employed since 1994 and have managed to survive which puts me in a catagory above many that have never and will never even try it.But I don't know why I have to explain that to you.What you do need to know is NARS has changed from 2006 to 2007 and they don't help white guys find work like they used to,so if you fall into that catagory you might want to talk to people who have been there recently before you plop down 6,000.00 for a nice piece of paper that don't mean squat!Like I said before,they won't refer you after graduation and you can't even get them to return your phone calls or e-mails.I just got hired by a shortline and if I hadn't already been to NARS they would have picked up the tab.
Mmmmmm, can you smell the seniority?
  by 1st-Out-Again!?!

Hi
I have been watching the debate over NARS and figure I toss in my two cents. Far as a basic welcome to the railroad program goes it seems to cover a lot more than CSX Choo Choo U did when I first started as a conductor trainee in 2004. We mostly study the rule books and we did go over how to change a knuckle and set a hand brake but neither of our instructor ever worked as a conductor in their railroad career. Kind of felt cheated like learning to sky dive from a air traffic controller who has never actually jumped himself. With that said I approach NARS as a way to hopeful give my resume that extra spice that would get BNSF to give me a chance. I finish NARS in DEC. 2006 did good on both the hands on and written test. Have a clean record with CSX no miss calls, no write ups , and no safety rules broken. Currently working as a Control Operator. Not a bad job but still was hoping for a Conductor position with BNSF. Sadly it seems they are consistent in the fact my application will be turn down as quickly as possible. Far as hoping they let me stay on a waiting list until they had a spot for me was quickly dash by this kind yet to the point email for BNSF HR.:
BNSF would like to thank you for your interest in working as a Conductor Trainee. Currently BNSF does not anticipate any additional openings for Conductor Trainee for the remainder of 2007. BNSF interviews are only good for a period of six (6) months. Based on the lack of positions at this time and the date of your interview, we do not anticipate having any openings that will allow us to place you based on your interview at NARS.
So is NARS a good program with instructors who been there, know there stuff and are willing to help you make the grade? Sure
Is it the best way to get a Conductor position with BNSF well spin your self in 20 circles in your living room watching the ceiling and when your done and the ceiling stops spinning your answer will be clears as mine which so far stands as: we do not anticipate having any openings that will allow us to place you based on your interview at NARS.
To all you NARS Grads looking for work Good luck. To you who found work with BNSF, Lucky Dogs.
Last edited by 1st-Out-Again!?! on Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by PSNOUS

1st-Out-Again!?! wrote:Hi
I have been watching the debate over NARS and figure I toss in my two cents. Far as a basic welcome to the railroad program goes it seems to cover a lot more than CSX Choo Choo U did when I first started as a conductor trainee in 2004. We mostly study the rule books and we did go over how to change a knuckle and set a hand brake but neither of our instructor ever worked as a conductor in their railroad career. Kind of felt cheated like learning to sky dive from a air traffic controller who has never actually jumped himself. With that said I approach NARS as a way to hopeful give my resume that extra spice that would get BNSF to give me a chance. I finish NARS in DEC. 2006 did good on both the hands on and written test. Have a clean record with CSX no miss calls, no write ups , and no safety rules broken. Currently work as a Tower Operator with CP in Chicago, IL. Not a bad job but still was hoping for a Conductor position with BNSF. Sadly it seems they are consistent in the fact my application will be turn down as quickly as possible. Far as hoping they let me stay on a waiting list until they had a spot for me was quickly dash by this kind yet to the point email for BNSF HR.:
BNSF would like to thank you for your interest in working as a Conductor Trainee. Currently BNSF does not anticipate any additional openings for Conductor Trainee for the remainder of 2007. BNSF interviews are only good for a period of six (6) months. Based on the lack of positions at this time and the date of your interview, we do not anticipate having any openings that will allow us to place you based on your interview at NARS.
So is NARS a good program with instructors who been there, know there stuff and are willing to help you make the grade? Sure
Is it the best way to get a Conductor position with BNSF well spin your self in 20 circles in your living room watching the ceiling and when your done and the ceiling stops spinning your answer will be clears as mine which so far stands as: we do not anticipate having any openings that will allow us to place you based on your interview at NARS.
To all you NARS Grads looking for work Good luck. To you who found work with BNSF, Lucky Dogs.

What day did you graduate from NARS? My graduation/completion date was Dec 8 2006

by 1st-Out-Again!?!

Same for me too.
Last edited by 1st-Out-Again!?! on Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by PSNOUS

1st-Out-Again!?! wrote:Same for me too.

Cool, whats up Josh. This is Bill that was in class with you along with my now wife Melissa.

by 1st-Out-Again!?!

Wow Well congratulations to both of you. Me I’m still looking for Conductor jobs like the rest of us but that half the fun right?

by PSNOUS

lol I guess. I hope 2008 brings jobs to those of us still waiting.........

by Choo Choo wanabee

Can you not see a trend here?Wouldn't NARS be trying to contact old students if it was really going to try to be an honest academic organization?If you spend 6,000.00 dollars for just empty promises along with hundreds of other people then maybe someone might be up to some type of illegal activity.I know that back in the late 1980's in Colorado a Fiber Optic school got closed and was forced to shut down because they were training people for jobs that didn't exist yet.If BNSF is not going to try to hire those that qualify(NARS students),when they have openings,Then it's just the same as the job does not exist,unless they tell people that they don't have a very good chance of employment at BNSF.Instead,they have led people to believe otherwise,at least this has apparently been the case starting sometime in 2006,and carrying over into 2007.Not good for their PR status at all.

by route_rock

Yikes I got hired off the street for BNSF in 05. If I would have had to foot a 6000 dollar bill I would have been ticked.
Do you guys have your letters stating BNSF says go to NARS? If you do check to see locations where people were hired who WERE NOT NARS grads. and if you applied there you might have some kind of case.But getting something rolling against deep pockets and lots of lawyers would be tough.

by Choo Choo wanabee

Without the state attorney general stepping in and doing a thorough investigation this would be next to impossible to accomplish .Who knows,BNSF may have him for a golfing buddy.But if people who are considering going to NARS read this thread and decide against it,that could turn things around when the revenue quits flowing in.Remember,money REALLY talks loud,just check the bottom line.

by PSNOUS

Not all the time but a lot of the job postings will include this in the job description,
All applicants will be notified by email regarding orientation, testing and interviews for this position. Please be sure to check your email on a daily basis.

Graduates of the National Academy of Railroad Sciences will be given preferential consideration.